Severe Pain after Shoulder tenodesis and shoulder replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a total shoulder replacement and biceps tenodesis on 28 February and it is now May 9h. Is it normal to still have severe pain in my upper arm and pain radiating to my elbow and forearm? I am also getting neck spasms on a daily basis - is this normal?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

how are you doing in PT? Im 2 mos out and still in pain. A round of Prednisone helped alot. I cant take Motrin or any NSAIDS. Shoulder surgery is the worst. Full recovery is a year. Muscle relaxers (Soma) helped alot also. Im just able to sleep in my bed. I dont have a recliner so the couch it was. Sometimes scar tissue builds up n causes pain too. I take Tumeric to help with inflammation also.

• Posted

I'm doing well in physical therapy. Did your surgeon prescribe the prednisone and soma? My surgeon acts like he doesn't believe me when I tell him how much pain I am having. I see him again in 11 days and plan to give him another earfull.

• Posted

Im in pain management for my back anyway so he prescribed percocet originally, that wasnt holding me so i told him to prescribe Dilaudid 4 mg which he did (Im a nurse so i know my meds) then he backed me back down to Percocet 10 mg again. Unless theyre pain mgmt docs theyre afraid to prescribe but you need to tell him its wrong to let you suffer. My regular MD prescribed the Soma

• Posted

I had a Total reverse shoulder replacement 2 years ago and I still have pain not to try to scare you! I still can't put my arm above my head and have no strength! I'm going back to the doctor end of the month to see what they say.

• Posted

You may have scar tissue thats preventing you from progressing

• Posted

Sometimes they have to go back in and break it up

• Posted

scar tissue stays. Yes, if youre not moving they have to break it up

• Posted

The pain is pretty much normal and can last beyond a year. What i did not realize is how much the surgery/therapy affects the surrounding muscles and joints. Lots of stress is placed on the back, neck, forearm, wrist and even fingers. It starts with the immobilization and then is exasperated by the therapy. I'm still working through all this along with trying to regain better ROM after 11 months post surgery.

• Posted

How long were you in a sling? I was only in a sling 12 days - I often wonder if that might be a contributing factor b/c everything I read for the biceps tendonesis says you should be in a sling for 6 weeks to let the tissues heal.

• Posted

Muscle relaxers and trying to get in the pool and move it

• Posted

6 wks for the sling

• Posted

I think I dodged a bullet when I couldn't have a total shoulder replacement. I had foot surgery with seven pins put in five years ago and I've been in severe pain in that foot ever since. I remembered I was allergic to metal when I got my ears pierced so I asked if that could be causing my foot to still hurt after five years. He said it would be rare to be allergic to the metals used in surgical pins and joints but sent me for testing. Turns out I'm allergic to three of the metals used in joint replacements. After being confirmed I am allergic, I did a little research and found out I could try an antihistamine for the allergy. I've been taking Allegra Allergy 24 hr. doseage. I now have relief. Nearly no foot pain at all now.

Anyway, for those of you having long term pain after joint replacement, if theres no other explanation, I would consider allergy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.