Severe pain after tooth extraction

Posted , 38 users are following.

I had a lower back molar out last Wednesday as I had the worst toothache. The dentist had a job getting it out as it broke. I also think he was in a hurry as he said he was already behind. Ever since I have been in agonising pain which is unbearable especially at night. I cannot sleep or eat and I am taking way too many pain killers. I have been back to the dentist and he packed the socket this didn't help at all. I ended up going to the out of hrs gp and was given anti biotics on day 3 of these and still no better. I feel like I'm going mad the pills are making me dizzy as I am not eating. I just wish I knew what was wrong. I am going back to dentist today but I'm so scared i cant even open my mouth. If I press on my cheek I can taste pus.

3 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sharon,

sorry to hear of your dental problem, my daughter has just had her wisdom tooth extraction 4 days a go and experienced terrible pain on swallowing in her checks and jaw, these are not un common after tooth  extraction.

The dentist gave her 2 sets of antibiotics and 1 set of pain killers which she has nearly completed. WARM SALT WATER MOUTH WASHES are very helpful and brushing of the teeth gently so no more bacteria gets in side the tooth, now that you are on antibiotics you should begin to feel a lot better, as my daughter has now started to improve she is still on a soft diet.

If you still are in a lot of pain go back to your dentist but from my personal experience sounds like you have an infection in or around the tooth.

• Posted

Sounds to me you got a dry society..I've had them before after tooth extraction. They're painful. But if Dr packed it you shouldn't still be hurting.s..puss is infection..must need stronger antibiotics good luck ...
  • Posted

Hi thanks for the replies.

I've been back to the dentist. He re packed it and took x ray he couldn't see any problems. Then asked me if I had any numbness in my lip which I do he has now told me that I have a bruised nerve.

This is bad news as I have to live with this pain now until it gets better. I've read that it can be permanent I hope to God this pain isn't permanent as I'll never sleep or eat again. I can live with the numbness. Has anyone else on here had this problem?

• Posted

Hi Sharon169,

so pleased you went back to the dentist aleast you know there is no further damage, to the tooth.

With time this bruise nerve should settle down, and get better,if it does not improve with time, you will have to go back to the dentist and make sure he knows, what is happening to you  dont suffer in silence.

Wish you luck and hoping all will be well soon

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. I will be the happiest person alive when I feel normal again x
    • Posted

Sorry I hope your daughter recovers quickly too x
    • Posted

I can imagine tooth ach is the worst thing to happen to any one sooo painful but you will be fine with time,
  • Posted

Thanks sharon169,

she has no more pain just the jaw and the swallowing still very sore.

x

• Posted

After yesterday's return to the dentist the pain had completely gone. I wasn't sure if it was because he re packed it better or if it was the codeine taking effect. I was so relieved and happy to be pain free.

But at 4am the pain was back, so I'm now back to square one.

• Posted

Hi Sharon169,

sorry to hear the pain is back,it is best to phone the dentist if the pain is really bad,as you did have some relief may be  he needs to do something else, if not happy/or satisfied with your present dentist you can see another dentist to get a second opinion, But dont stay  in pain and suffer in silence.

good luck hope it settles down and/or you get sorted out soon

• Posted

Hi Maria

I have been back every day to get it repacked and so far today it has been ok. Just a bit sore but that horrible throbbing pain has gone I'm keeping on top of the pain killers. So fingers crossed it is getting better. I really hope so as going on holiday next week. On the plus side I am eating to live instead of living to eat at the moment. How's your daughters pain? x

• Posted

hi sharon hope your ok i wanted ask you that what you mean by repacked
    • Posted

Hi Sharon, I know this is an old thread but trawling through the internet to find some help in desperation as I'm in exactly the same situation and you were 3 years ago. Just wanted to ask how you are and how long it took to settle and what you did to help please? Thanks 

• Posted

Tell me about It, double extraction on Tuesday (3 days ago) and I'm in paralyzing pain, paracetamol, ibuprofen, aspirin, nurafen and bonjela nothing is working, it hurts so bad 😭

• Posted

Hello Moozie,

Me Too!  I had my back molar extracted...SO much pain, swollen.  I went to see my dentist for a loose filling..and it turned into a nightmare. He took a xray and said the filling was deep and he would need to replace it or I would need a root canal.  Long story short.  After the filling it got infected because he cracked the tooth during the drilling.  I had the tooth extracted on 12/20/17.  Still in so much pain, now I have a stinging pain around the surrounding tooth.  Not sure what that is about.  The dentist won't take my calls.  Said I would now have to talk to the oral surgeon since he was the last one to see me.  It is now christmas time and no one is available.  I will have to wait until after christmas.   The pain killers are not working, also on anabotics.  The only thing that will calm down the pain is goody's powders.  I get them at walmart OTC.  Extra Strength....Some relief!  How are you doing today?  Any better?  

• Posted

I also had a back molar extracted.  I went to my dentist to fix a loose filling..I was not having a toothache at all.  The dentist said he would have to replace the filling, and he did.  When he stuck me with the needle it was so painful he must of hit the nerve.  I told him to stop, but he did not.  I was so numb and he was very rough with the drilling and he seemed to be in a bad mood.  During the filling process, he said that I would need a root canal.  Because the filling was too deep.  But then when the filling was done, he said that all was good.  However, after I went home and the numbness wore off.  I was in so much pain.  I had never felt pain like this before.  I could not eat on that side of my mouth, then on the other side of my mouth my filling came out.  So, I went in for an emergency visit to fix that side.  No problem with that side. But the originally dental work never recovered.  I went back to him again about the pain...He took an xray and sent me to a oral surgeon to have it extracted.  He prescribed me antibiotics and pain killers.  I looked at my xray and there was a crack in the root...(Root Fracture)  No wonder I was in so much and and now have an infection. (Drilling so hard and deep I believe caused the root fracture-Because I didn't have one when I went in there)  I am still in so much pain...crying..pain killer does not help...face is swollen. throbbing-piercing pain...I had my tooth extracted on 12/20/2017.  Still in so much pain. Called my dentist..won't take my calls.  Said to call the oral surgeon now since he was the last one to see me.  I will be getting a new dentist! I have been using ice packs, salt water, taking my antibiotics and pain killers.  Still in pain, could you let me know when does the pain stop?  Thanks

PS:  I am using goody's powders from walmart and they seem to work best for me.  But, I have to keep taking them ever 5 hours or the pain returns...

• Posted

SO crazy. I just got my tooth removed on the 20th. There was an infection to begin with ... anyways, I’ve been taking amoxicillin for the infection and it’s doing nothing. Going on day 3 now and the throbbing is just getting worse. I feel like I broke my jaw I can’t even open it. Not to mention I’m 15 weeks pregnant sad 
    • Posted

Hello sasha47097

It has been 4 days and I am just started to get some relief.  Still a little pain around the extraction, jaw still sore and face is swollen.  I have been on amoxicillin for the infection, and the pus from the infected tooth burst, and then the throbbing stopped.  I used a lot of salt water, every 4 hours.  I am also taking goody's powder for the pain.  That is the only thing that work on my pain.  

• Posted

Hey Beverly23... You may not see this as its 2 years later but I wanted you to know you are entitled to sue the original dentist who fractured the root of your tooth during the filling. He definitely was negligent and you have up to 2 years to sue a person for malpractice. He made the mistake and it caused you excruciating pain and ended with you loosing a tooth that could have been saved. I know how loosing a molar tooth affects your eating and not only that but now its making your teeth around it more prone to decay. I hope you see this and I really hope you still have a chance of going to a malpractice attorney. Plus you have to live with his mistake for the rest of your life and with these type of attorneys its free and I'm sure the dentist pays his insurance company so he wont come out of his pocket to compensate you. I'm just informing you just incase you felt bad about suing him if it's still an option. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.