Severe pain after tooth extraction

Posted , 38 users are following.

I had a lower back molar out last Wednesday as I had the worst toothache. The dentist had a job getting it out as it broke. I also think he was in a hurry as he said he was already behind. Ever since I have been in agonising pain which is unbearable especially at night. I cannot sleep or eat and I am taking way too many pain killers. I have been back to the dentist and he packed the socket this didn't help at all. I ended up going to the out of hrs gp and was given anti biotics on day 3 of these and still no better. I feel like I'm going mad the pills are making me dizzy as I am not eating. I just wish I knew what was wrong. I am going back to dentist today but I'm so scared i cant even open my mouth. If I press on my cheek I can taste pus.

3 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Sharon169,

so pleased you went back to the dentist and that the pain has improved,it will get better, if it ever starts again make sure you go back to the dentist, untill he gets it right, hopefully you should be fine for your your holidays.

My daughter is 90% better but her jaw still cannot open as it should but that is normal for a wisdon tooth extraction we are told by the dentist, she is just worried how she will open her mouth on friday to take the stitches out, but  am hoping by then it will be a bit better, but the wound site is well healed and she is nearly back to a a normal diet and she is back t work.

Good luck and have a good holiday 

• Posted

Even i have the same situation pain is like hell...

Doxtor gave me antibiotics now pain is bit low but its on the edge if i do any moment its start pain like hell

• Posted

I am very surprised to didn't get immediate  care as you said you did but  is has snowballed since then depending on where postion of the tooth came from in the  morning is gorgeous 

Moral is get a second option 

• Posted

Sharon

I too had a back molar extracted. I originally went to Dentist to have a crown done...no pain in tooth until he began prepping tooth for Crown. I left with temp crown and when novacaine wore of..excrucisting pain. I thought it would settle down..it did not. The permanent crown was put on...terrible pain continued for 2 more weeks. Crown was removed and root canal done. Still pain continued. Went to Endodontist..said crack was all the wsy through original tooth...possibly from drilling to prep tooth. Had tooth extracted. Pain has been debilitating. Antibiotics for three days. Anti inflammatory drug. As soon as almost 8 hrs past b4 next pill..pain ia back with a engence...throbbing...I wiuld rather give birth that live with this pain.

My mouth is also sore and swollen. I have been using ice packs. I need this pain to stop!!! I'm feeling there must be a damaged nerve or something.

• Posted

Hello MB59

I also had a back molar extracted.  I went to my dentist to fix a loose filling..I was not having a toothache at all.  The dentist said he would have to replace the filling, and he did.  When he stuck me with the needle it was so painful he must of hit the nerve.  I told him to stop, but he did not.  I was so numb and he was very rough with the drilling and he seemed to be in a bad mood.  During the filling process, he said that I would need a root canal.  Because the filling was too deep.  But then when the filling was done, he said that all was good.  However, after I went home and the numbness wore off.  I was in so much pain.  I had never felt pain like this before.  I could not eat on that side of my mouth, then on the other side of my mouth my filling came out.  So, I went in for an emergency visit to fix that side.  No problem with that side. But the originally dental work never recovered.  I went back to him again about the pain...He took an xray and sent me to a oral surgeon to have it extracted.  He prescribed me antibiotics and pain killers.  I looked at my xray and there was a crack in the root...(Root Fracture)  No wonder I was in so much and and now have an infection. (Drilling so hard and deep I believe caused the root fracture-Because I didn't have one when I went in there)  I am still in so much pain...crying..pain killer does not help...face is swollen. throbbing-piercing pain...I had my tooth extracted on 12/20/2017.  Still in so much pain. Called my dentist..won't take my calls.  Said to call the oral surgeon now since he was the last one to see me.  I will be getting a new dentist! I have been using ice packs, salt water, taking my antibiotics and pain killers.  Still in pain, could you let me know when does the pain stop?  Thanks

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

I’m sorry 😐 for the agony you have endured.

That I do understand.

I think I have offered comments suggests and importance of choosing  but I’m unsure if it actually got posted

• Posted

Hi, 

Dec 21, 17, I had impacted wisdom tooth removed under general anaesthetic. 

Going over one week later, the pain has not even subsided. Lower right was removed. 

The jaw feels dislocated, pain moving up in to cheek bone. 

Top and bottom local teeth to extraction site feel like they are dying, the pain is phenomenal. 

Tongue pain on right hand side all the way down in to throat. The entire right hand side of my cheek is so painful as well.

I had never suffered from tooth sensitivity but now I can’t stomach anything cold or even warm. Only room temperature water and coffee. 

Being woken by the pain at 3am or 4am every morning. 

Went to hospital a few days ago I. Desperation and they gave me endone and sent me home. Now have to wait till jan 2 to see a dentist. 

I don’t know if this amount of pain and for so long is normal. I’m sure it’s all trauma related pain but its covering the entire right hand side of my mouth and face. 

Using bonjela, strepsils with anaestetic, panaseibe forte, endone and nurofen. 

I’m so desperate for pain relief and I feel so sick. P.s desperate to go to the toilet to. The tablets and general stop things as well. 

This is just a nightmare. 

• Posted

i am in the exact same boat as you. iv had an impacted bottom right wisdom tooth out two days ago and I have antibiotics and pain killers to help but seems the pain is getting worse it is unbearable now and I dont know what to do

• Posted

I'm so sorry you are all dealing with this. I've had teeth issues for 2 months now. My stomach is horrible from all the liquid Advil, which works amazing btw for tooth pain. However I had my lower right wisdom tooth out 2 day ago. I'm 33 and they were not kidding about the pain as you get older. It was a more difficult surgery because the tooth was shaped like a boot with the roots running along the nerve. I'm still in lots of pain and am trying to keep up with meds. Percocet is the only thing helping at this point. Some days I just want to cry . I'm just over tooth pain. I'm so sorry you are all dealing with so much pain. I totally get it. Keep ice packs on if possible. It helps a bit!

• Posted

Hi Sharon, 

I’m so sorry to hear about your dental problem, I just hope your okay now!

Where I’m from I don’t have a Walmart so I was wanting to know what ‘goody’s powder is as I’ve never heard of it!! My partner has had a back molar removed over a week ago now, he had two dissolving stitches as they had to cut it out. He has been on antibiotics, panadole,ibuprofen and salt water gargles and he’s still in so much pain,the whole side of his head is killing him so to speak! There is no redness or swelling around the site as I can see, so I was also hoping you may have some other ideas that I don’t know about that you may know that could possibly help please. TIA 🙂

• Posted

Hi Sharon, 

I’m so sorry to hear about your dental problem, I just hope your okay now!

Where I’m from I don’t have a Walmart so I was wanting to know what ‘goody’s powder is as I’ve never heard of it!! My partner has had a back molar removed over a week ago now, he had two dissolving stitches as they had to cut it out. He has been on antibiotics, panadole,ibuprofen and salt water gargles and he’s still in so much pain,the whole side of his head is killing him so to speak! There is no redness or swelling around the site as I can see, so I was also hoping you may have some other ideas that I don’t know about that you may know that could possibly help please. TIA 🙂

• Posted

Over a week ago I've had an extraction and the teeth around the extraction are hurting severely, pain meds aren't helping and nights are horrible because that's when pain is most severe. I'm waiting for Dr to call back. On antibiotics and pains meds. Made appt with different dentist, because dentist was more concerned about the limit on my care credit limit. $395 for one extraction

• Posted

Sharon,

I could have written your post - I know how you're feeling.  I too had to have an implant removed because of an infection and like you I was taking too many painkillers (ibuprofen) 800mg every 3 hours or so because the pain was unbearable.  I also started taking oxycontin so that I could lessen the amount of ibuprofen which it did.

Sometimes, I feel that what you're feeling is not taken seriously enough.  You know how much pain you're in, but they don't.  Now I'm healing from another procedure that I had on Friday due to an infection that came back with a stronger antibiotic and he scraped whatever was under the area and perhsp putting pressure on my sinuses.

It's horrible having a procedure done like this, becuase it hurts to open your mouth, and normally not afraid of shots, with each shot I jumped because of the overall tenderness.  The pain has subsided at least for for now.  But I am SO afraid that the pain will come back as it has before.

I have not had solid food for a month now.

Hope you get better soon and have your dentist take his/her time and take this very seriously!!!

• Posted

Hi I had my tooth out 6th April bottom part of my lip is numb but sore pins needles. My gum was ripped to pieces after 4 injections I can't sleep think ulcer has appeared under my tongue.

My mouth is sore nothing is working.

I'm in agony.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.