Severe pain due to kidney stent

Posted , 41 users are following.

Id be grateful for some advice please. I have had a JJ stent in place for the last 3 weeks after an operation for stone fragmentation failed due to a narrowing of the tube near to the stone. I was due to go back in to have the procedure done again today.. but the surgery has been cancelled. During the past 3 weeks of hell I have had so much pain...like being stabbed constantly with a knife in the vaginal area. I initially was sent home on a Friday late afternoon and told to take Ibuprofen and Paracetamol. An hour after I got home I was doubled up in pain ..was given codeine. Since Ive had this done Ive visited/spoken by phone to my GP 5 times and have visited A+E once. I now have dihydrocodeine and paracetamol and diclofenac suppositories. The suppositories work ok, they take the edge off but relief doesnt last long. The urologist I saw at A+E last week wasnt sympathetic. He gave me a scan and stent placement is fine and he gave me further suppository .. and sent me home. He could see how much pain I was in but as my next operation was booked for today he wasnt concerned. Im now awaiting a further operation appointment. I dont know how long it will be. I had to go to the preassessment clinic on Wednesday and was there some 5 hours. Due to the pain I was vomitting for over an hour before I could leave to get my lift home. Im just persevering with the pain relief I have at present but I cant work..Ive been off for 3 weeks...I can barely stand at some points during the day, Im not sleeping hardly at all, I throw up with the pain and Im relying on others to shop and cook etc ..its totally debilitating and urology know this. Does anyone have any experience of this? Are there any other medications I could request to try? Any suggestions would be greatfully received. Shirley

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Earlybird I feel your pain. I had the procedure done this past Tuesday. I had my stent out Friday. I figured once the stent was out I would feel brand new. For 2 days I rolled around, screaming, crying, moaning. Which I heard was all normal and I'd feel like there was a stone there and it would feel like kidney stone pain, wrong!! It was 1000x worse than kidney stone pain. I kept calling my urologist who assured me it will be over in 24hrs. It felt like someone took a knife and stuck it in my kidney and every once and while came over and twisted and turned the knife. On to of all of this I developed bronchitis and have the cough syrup with codeine which seems to helps alittle bit with my pain besides my cough. Def not fun to have this horrible cough on top of feeling like someone just stabbed me. It's been 48hrs and it still feels like someone stabbed me in my side. I had to get the stone lasered because it was too big to pass and stuck in my tube. But the after math of all this, OMG!! I JUST WANT THE PAIN TO GO AWAY. And take Zofran if you have it. Zofran has become my new bf. As soon as I feel nauseous from the pain I take my Zofran, cause I hate throwing up. I can't deal with it and Zofran helps stop it big time. Hoping you have some relief. XO.

• Posted

I am saddened to hear how all of you are suffering from pain that can be decreased with the appropriate medication, pain medication.  I am a nurse and for many years, it was all about "was your pain managed while you were hospitalized?" was a TOP question with hospital surveys.  Today, due to the opioid crisis, people like yourselves are suffering; people who need pain medication to function until the chronic issue is taken care of.  I have been dealing with my husband's pain from 2 surgeries with in 8 days and 2 stents, he suffers from long horn kidney stones.  I have never seen him in so much agony, pale, ready to pass out from the pain.  His urologist as well, says it's normal.  His urologist gave us both a lecture on addiction.  I am very angry about how this is being handled.  Pain is what the patient says it is, that is what I was taught in nursing school and my first 20 years of patient care.  I just had to post how I feel, to read, hear and see people in pain, because providers feel it's normal.  I feel as a healthcare provider,we are letting patients suffer, and I apologize for that.  I wish all of you the best outcomes.  And PAIN FREE days to come.

• Posted

I had a kidney stone removed this last Tuesday and they put a stent in. Ended up back in the ER the following day thinking I was trying to pass another stone because of horrible flank pain again and my urine looked l Iike all blood. Turned out I have a bladder infection and what looked like blood was not blood but infection. They gave me spasm meds and antobotics. Flank pain has lessened but I still feel like my vagina is being stabbed... Im guessing this is the damn stent? There is about 9 inches of string hanging out of me snagging on everything and hurts like a SOB. Its only the 28th and they dont have me scheduled to take this damn thing out till the 7th...guess the urologist is on vacation for memorial. Im leaking...which has me embarrassed to do or go anywhere...because there is no holding it. Could use any advise as to what helped or gave you any comfort to get you through to your appointment?
    • Posted

Hello  Aunrey

If the thread is still snagging just undo the adhesive tape, adjust the thread and cover it with with fresh adhesive. Your infection causes irritation of the lining of the bladder and was as you first thought blood . This is normal with a uti and  will get better with your antibiotics, if it doesn’t you will need your prescription changed. Drink as much as possible. 

As I said in my earlier review I found using heat on my groin a great help and Tena pads for leakage

Finally I removed my own stent when my time was up, there is nothing to it. Same feeling as removing a tampon

I hope it helps to know you are not alone 

• Posted

I am going through the same thing right now. I am 5 weeks post op and absolutely miserable at times. Especially after urinating. I feel as if I am being stabbed in the vagiina and that my bladder is trying to come out of my ureter. It sucks. No relief I have found. It’s 330 am now and I am still up in excruciating pain. I am hoping that by now you have advice for me. 
  • Posted

I didn't really get relief till I got them to take that stent out...sorry. The doctor acted as if it couldn't be that bad but it was. Maybe it was the string hanging up on everything making me feel like someone was pulling on my insides every little time. Or maybe its I have fibromyalgia and my nerves are just are more sensitive? I couldn't tell you...I can tell you that stent to me was as awful as trying to pass the stone....ok once it had gotten out of my back and into my privates....it was the same damn pain to me...except I peed alot more blood with the stent. I know none of this helps except to say...call your doctor ask how much longer you have to have that horrible thing in? When I got pushy they moved my up and Im so glad they did!!! Blood went away same day...pain went away....same day. Incontinence went away the same day. I have uped my water intake and lemon water intake....I dont want to ever do this again.

• Posted

Omg thit's all I can say. I'm dying in pain and my doctor doesn't care. I had my stent put in last week. Omg can't sleep can't eat and I'm a single mom. ,

• Posted

I'm sitting here reading this old thread so I know i'm not the only one going through this. I passed a 4mm stone in 2011 with the help of morphine. Back then they told me I had another stone well fast forward 7 years and he I am on night 2 of a hospital stay with an 8mm stone and a stent that's kicking my butt. If I can pee within 1 second of the urge I get moderate kidney pain but I can't seem to do that so I get full blown kidney cramping that feels like the moment you initially felt the stone hit your ureter. I'm talking during on the floor in the bathroom because you can't get up. I'm also peeing lots of blood. I guess I'm going home tomorrow. I can't wait to get off the IV fluids so I'm not filling up so quickly. I'm told I'll be back in a week to crush the stone. Its going to be a long week but I'm here for a 2nd night since they can't get the pain under control so maybe I'll get bumped up in line a couple days. If you ever have a stone and they say it's huge they'll probably give you 2 options... go home with percocet (and end up coming back to the ER) or go with the stent. Just go with the stent and try to muscle through it but if you hurt do not let them discharge you without having your pain under control. I've tried everything short of fentanyl. Percocet does nothing. Diloutin works but for a short time. Now i'm on toradol and bladder relaxers. I wont leave until I know I can manage at home by myself but i'm also 90% sure the pain will lighten up as soon as I come off the drip. I just hope the blood slows down.

• Posted

It may well be the stent that's causing the pain. I know. I've been there. I was ringing my consultant secretary every day , to see if they would remove. Took a few weeks ( agony, couldn't move for pain) but soooooo much better when out. Good luck. X

• Posted

I’m pretty new to this kidney stone thing and the stent but here I am 5:30 in the morning in excruciating pain. I had my stent placed last Thursday after having a 2cm stone blasted and I don’t know how much longer I can take this whole stent thing. I haven’t been able to sleep since it was placed. I had two good days with no pain but I feel like I’m back to square one. I’ve been taking oxybuytin and Ibuprofen for pain since I can’t take any narcotic pain medicine bc they all make me sick. So far the oxybuytin has worked but this morning nothing is working. I have severe pain, burning and itching. It feels like my insides are being torn out. My doctor is telling me that the stent has to stay until August 2nd but there’s no way I can wait that long. I’m not passing any more sediment so I don’t understand why I have to wait that long. I’m going to call this morning and explain my symptoms and request it be taken out early. I need sleep and out of this pain. Does anyone have any advice on how to cope with this pain?

• Edited

I am so glad I found what you have written, although it may be a couple years ago, this is exactly what I'm going through now. only my urologist won't even return a call back to me for over a week now. they told me just take ibprophen which I'm really killing my kidneys and liver both I've taken so many. I dont see another story about how you got through it but I hope you are happy ever after that. I'm 5 years old and I think this is well over my share of pain for a lifetime.

• Posted

Kathy I'm so sorry you're going through that pain. It's really awful! I've not had any more issues since my stent came out. so it did do its job! Hopefully your pain will ease soon. Good luck!

• Posted

I am so glad I found what you have written, although it may be a couple years ago, this is exactly what I'm going through now. only my urologist won't even return a call back to me for over a week now. they told me just take ibprophen which I'm really killing my kidneys and liver both I've taken so many. I dont see another story about how you got through it but I hope you are happy ever after that. I'm 5 years old and I think this is well over my share of pain for a lifetime.

• Posted

i had a stent put in 3 weeks ago and have been in constant pain ever since. As others have said it feels like a red hot knife in urethra every time i pee. so painful and nothing touching the pain. i had my follow up scan last wednesday and monday i think is when i shall start nagging about getting it removed. i never expected such pain when standing or walking, at times it is even painful to sit upright.

• Posted

I'm furious that my doctors don't care how much pain I'm in. I cannot believe it's okay with clinicians to have their patients suffer like this. I'm exhausted and despondent from the constant pain, and they just don't give a damn. A heating pad seems to help a tiny bit, but the feeling that somebody is driving jagged hot glass into my urethra is only mitigated mildly. I would go to the ER but the cost is so high. I'm getting desperate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.