Severe pain due to kidney stent

Posted , 41 users are following.

Id be grateful for some advice please. I have had a JJ stent in place for the last 3 weeks after an operation for stone fragmentation failed due to a narrowing of the tube near to the stone. I was due to go back in to have the procedure done again today.. but the surgery has been cancelled. During the past 3 weeks of hell I have had so much pain...like being stabbed constantly with a knife in the vaginal area. I initially was sent home on a Friday late afternoon and told to take Ibuprofen and Paracetamol. An hour after I got home I was doubled up in pain ..was given codeine. Since Ive had this done Ive visited/spoken by phone to my GP 5 times and have visited A+E once. I now have dihydrocodeine and paracetamol and diclofenac suppositories. The suppositories work ok, they take the edge off but relief doesnt last long. The urologist I saw at A+E last week wasnt sympathetic. He gave me a scan and stent placement is fine and he gave me further suppository .. and sent me home. He could see how much pain I was in but as my next operation was booked for today he wasnt concerned. Im now awaiting a further operation appointment. I dont know how long it will be. I had to go to the preassessment clinic on Wednesday and was there some 5 hours. Due to the pain I was vomitting for over an hour before I could leave to get my lift home. Im just persevering with the pain relief I have at present but I cant work..Ive been off for 3 weeks...I can barely stand at some points during the day, Im not sleeping hardly at all, I throw up with the pain and Im relying on others to shop and cook etc ..its totally debilitating and urology know this. Does anyone have any experience of this? Are there any other medications I could request to try? Any suggestions would be greatfully received. Shirley

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

hi had stent put in on 27th Feb plus laser treatment. in so much pain in side and back.

been to AE already on Monday found out I've got infection taking antibiotics. pain is still unbearable. anyone help with advice

• Edited

hi I had bilateral stents put in February 14, I waiting for laser to break up the stones March 18. I have gone through pain that is worse than childbirth. I have used tylenol and ibuprofen with a heating pad on my stomach, groin and back, it doesn't help 100% but the heating pad has felt relaxing briefly. Today is the first day without pain, wondering if I passed a stone the other day due to the excruciating pain. Today has been never-ending urgency to pee the minute I move around , I'm so ready to get these stents out, but worried about the laser treatment and what pain that will be.

• Edited

I was placed under General Anesthesia to have my 10mm Kidney stone lazered and a stent placed for 14 days

I just dont understand how incredible this pain was and that the nurses and Drs looked at me lime I was crazy

Every person I know shared their Kidney stone stories with me

I swear the stent is as bad as passing the darn stone

• Posted

hi so in Jan this year I found out I had a 9mm stone stuck in my right ureter and the next day I was taken to surgery for a cystoscopy and uretheroscopy and a jj stent inserted and the stent has been the worst thing ever im in constant pain and discomfort I need to wee constantly and when I go its only like 5 mls a time my bladder feels set to burst all the time it's been a nightmare im on tamsulosin pr diclofenac and oxycodone longtec and shortec for the pain on the 5th of March 2021 I had another op a cystocopy and a flexible/rigid uretheroscopy my stone lasered and the old stent removed and a new one inserted and I'm back to square one with the exact pain from the stent I'm not sure i can take much more of this stent I can't work I can't stand or walk as the pressure on my bladder and now iv started being incontinent I had a ct scan the other day and awaiting results to see if the second operation worked which iv got a feeling it hasn't im just keeping everything crossed it has because if It hasn't the consultant said I would need another operation

• Edited

First? I am so sorry for your experience. I also had a stent placed in early March for a Kidney stone, discharged that day, and that afternoon ended up being taken by ambulance back to the hospital where I had the stent placed

They did an ultrasound in the ER and told me it was in place.....labs normal

This pain was worse than anything Ive ever known

It stayed in place for 2 weeks, and now I have a deep pain that I cant describe The Dr ultimately said "you had a foreign object of course you were in pain" I also do not believe anyone listened to me either I wish you the very best

• Edited

im sorry to hear..i had a stent on Tuesday . They removed a large stone and have others zapped . i have a stent and pain but frequency of urine pain in my urethra etc

im on regular string Paracetamol as i dont do well on other stronger tablets . its a nightmare

• Edited

I know this is 3 years old, but my experience with that muscle relaxer, Tumulsin(?) is bad.

I couldn't walk, I was so dizzy and confused, I never took it anymore. I wish it had helped.

I'm supposed to go into surgery in 2 days, haven't had pain in a week. But it's almost like I can feel it sitting there waiting for me to cancel my surgery, so it can rear its ugly head again.

I'd give into the ER 3x out of 4 days. There were sympathetic doctors and others that I wish were on the bed next to me feeling the stone MOVE!!

I realize they are what my daughter calls "realists", but ANY doctor with out a descent bedside manner when someone is in that kind of pain, should've decided to become one of NASA's best instead of helping people in pain.

Good luck to all that may ever encounter a kidney stone!!

• Edited

I know this is 3 years old, but my experience with that muscle relaxer, Tumulsin(?) is bad.

I couldn't walk, I was so dizzy and confused, I never took it anymore. I wish it had helped.

I'm supposed to go into surgery in 2 days, haven't had pain in a week. But it's almost like I can feel it sitting there waiting for me to cancel my surgery, so it can rear its ugly head again.

I'd give into the ER 3x out of 4 days. There were sympathetic doctors and others that I wish were on the bed next to me feeling the stone MOVE!!

I realize they are what my daughter calls "realists", but ANY doctor with out a descent bedside manner when someone is in that kind of pain, should've decided to become one of NASA's best instead of helping people in pain.

Good luck to all that may ever encounter a kidney stone!!

• Edited

I am going through this now came home on 3rd been back twice in agony

now on zomorph and paracetamol and buscopan

nothing eases pain for long ,got to wait 4 to 6 week for operation

• Edited

Hi, this response is late but I hope it may be helpful. I am in severe pain from the stent I had put in as well. The pain is worse than the pain from my dime sized kidney stone! I called the urgent care number at my doc's office early this morning. The doc on call recommended a hot bath to relax the muscles, followed by heating pad, and taking 800 mg of ibuprofen in addition to the Tramadol I was prescribed for pain. Also, I laid on the side without the stent. All of these things combined helped me so I wanted to share. My doc's office refuses to remove my stent until next week. Best wishes to everyone dealing with this!

• Edited

Hi I just want to thank everyone for this thread ! my husband had a stent placed in him on the 27th November 2021 he has a kidney stone but they never removed it and put a stent in there, he's due to go back into surgery on the 2nd Feb god knows what they plan to do to him this time I feel like I have watched him deteriorate ever since this operation he went in at least 15 stone and he's now almost 9 hes lost so much weight it's like looking at a child with a man's face he has done nothing but cry in pain ever since this operation and can't even manage to walk up a flight of stairs mentally for me watching this and dealing with it all even though it's not me going through the pain I'm struggling to intake it all, he's always saying he's cold when he's like a actual walking radiator I'm struggling ladies I can't sit and watch this but mentally it's killing me too please help advise let me know that this just does get better ! xx

• Edited

It's Nice to find this thread and know that you're not alone in having much more pain than "some discomfort and pain".

Back December 1st 2021 I was having kidney Stones removed, but once the surgeon got in there he couldn't get through because my ureter is very narrow. Instead he placed a DJ stent, which would expand the ureter making it possible for the camera and the laser and all that good stuff to fit next time he went in....unfortunately this was during Christmas and covid, so they couldn't give a new operation date.

I had the stent in for 17 days. My kidney when I went to urinate would feel as If someone stabbed it with a knife. But the hardest, most painfull would be the bladder pain, which was there all the time. Couldn't sleep, called in sick multiple days, painkillers didn't help.

I had to insist it be removed (took 30 minutes to remove it, because it was laying in a very difficult spot) with the promise of being called in during the spring/summer.

Yesterday, June 6th 2022, the stent was placed and immediately, when I woke up after surgery, I could feel the stent in my bladder. Was ready to go home 3 hours after surgery, which was at about 17:00.

This time no pain in the kidney when urinating, but much more pain in the bladder - almost constant. Didn't really sleep last night. Got sent home with tamsosulin and diclofenac. Neither seems to do anything.

This time I also find it hard to find a comfortable position to sleep in. Best Thing so far has been placing a hot water bag straight on top of my bladder. Seems to take some of the pain.

Just gotta get through to June 22nd, when to stones are removed.

1 day down, 14 days to go...

• Edited

I had 2 stints put in Aug 30 /2022 hurts like hell can't rest or lay to long pain from hell . Only relief is oxycodone percocet or something stronger . Cape fear Valley Hospital Fayetteville North Carolina

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.