Severe Pain in Diaphragm and Chest after Laparoscopic Gallbladder Removal

Posted , 28 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed last Friday using keyhole surgery.  All was going really well till Monday when I suddenly started having severe (literally breathtaking) pain under my diaphragm.  The pain radiates right through my chest into my shoulders, neck and back and I'm sweating and literally have to breathe through it.  I honestly have only ever experienced similar severity of pain when I was in labour. It is horrendous and all the walking about and rocking, I've tried everything, doesn't do anything.  It lasts for an hour or two and twice I've been close to calling an ambulance because I don't think I can cope another second and I feel like I'm having a heart attack. Is it normal for the pain to be so severe? Has anyone else experienced it to this level before? Everything I read says the wind pain is bad but no one seems to describe it with the severity I do! I just hope it is the wind and nothing more serious. Would appreciate any input from anyone else and what you did to help disperse the gas. Thanks! 

3 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had gallbladder surgery three weeks ago and I ate at lunchtime and I experiencing severe pain in area of gallbladder with bit of heartburn.  My lunch was just sandwich of chicken and ham.  Might have been too much to digest.   I’m not sure if anyone else experienced this
  • Posted

Hi just want to say for 8 months after gallbladder surgery I had the pain could not lift a gallon of milk pain 24=7 went to 4 doctors had 5 test ran could not find anything sent me to pain management doc said could do a shot pain nerve blocker or therapy I picked therapy my first day there they fix it, it was the back my ribs has slip out of position I quite using my right side because I hurt and almost paralyzed it also my diaphragm I quit using and was shallow breathing I am on my 8th session and I feel 90% better may be worth looking into. good luck 

• Posted

I just had my gallbladder removed a couple of days ago and I am experiencing the same thing. I couldn’t sleep the first two nights and I had to have myself propped up straight just to not be in pain from the gas. I have found relief using a heating pack on my back and right shoulder. It’s really helped the gas move around. I also got carbonated drinks 7up/ginger ale to make myself belch which has really helped. If you have someone caring for you ask them to pat your back if you feel gas stuck to help it move. Also keep walking around your house it’s the best thing to do for your body! I hope this helps someone in need!
  • Posted

Omg YES! I'm so glad it's not just me. I had a bilateral laproscopic tubal litigation on the 31st and once the pain meds wore off I expected to have some abdominal pain possible not be able to bend over or pick up my kids....nope my stomach is dine, doesn't even hurt unless the incision is bumped. But my chest, shoulder and neck hurt so bad I couldn't breath! The pain meds make it bareable, but don't make it go away! I've never had a heart attack but this is what I would imagine it feels like. For me this is worse than childbirth was and I just had #4, weeks ago.

• Posted

Please tell me what the outcome was or did you find out ? Same thing is happening to me and it makes absolutely no sense 
  • Posted

Im now poat opp 9 weeks and finally the pains have all gone pretty much .👍

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed about ten years ago. Over the years I have had this pain you are talking about. It comes on as a feeling of being uncomfortable then suddenly I'm gripped with pain that makes natural childbirth seem like a breeze. 

The first time it happened, my whole family headed out the door with me to get me to the emergency room. As I was waiting for my husband to get the keys, I leaned over the car. Just about a minute of leaning forward helped alleviate the pain. I started to burp, over and over again and quickly realized that I was feeling better. We didn't go to the emergency room but was a scare. I thought I was having a heart attack. 

Seems to be that sugar/carbs, and fats cause this and I do have some suggestions that might work for you. What helps is knowing when this 'attack' is coming on. You might feel slightly uncomfortable just under your chest or have a feeling as if you have to burp. When that comes on, immediately start walking around to get yourself to burp. Also, if you can lean forward that seems to help as well. I walk to the back of our sofa and put my arms on the top and just kinda let my stomach and chest hang. Once you begin burping, the pain seems to go away. I will burp sometimes 20+ times in a row. 

I've experienced it waking up as well. I found that no eating or drinking at least a few hours before bed helps with that. 

This is clearly an eating/drinking issue and probably taking in carbs in excess. I can eat carbs fine, but just not too much all at once.

I don't know if the gallbladder removal is the problem or if something else started this that got the gallbladder sick to begin with, but I'd tell the doctor. I think it's GERD or reflux could be the cause and that this started getting the gallbladder sick as well. 

Interestingly, my gallbladder had to be removed after I lost about 20-30 lbs using Jenny Craig, a hi-carb / low-fat diet. I have read since that switching to a low-fat diet can cause gallbladder issues. I was in great shape too, at goal weight, think and in good health. That's why I am not sure of the fats or carbs or combo, but the excess for sure is something to look out for. 

Wish you luck and no more pain! 

• Posted

Just so happens i had an attack last night first time for approx 4 weeks +

It was quite bad , mine is in the middle of the chest abdomen , no burping or feeling like but i have discovered i can get it to go with very heavy increase of breathing in and out and massaging around the spot . The doctors think its not gallbladder related but it all started 30 mins after being released from hospital after the opp .

Regards toohp

• Posted

I had my gallbladder out 9 months ago also have a medium hiatal hernia which hasn't been repaired and 5 months ago started having heart attack symptoms.  Have been to ER multiple times, had lots of cardio related tests, had gastro tests and no one really knows what is going on or why between 3 doctors. They act like they have never heard of these symptoms after surgery.  I never did either but now I am in daily pain wondering why?  Your post has helped me because I feel I am on my own to figure this out.  1 week ago I ate a veggie plate that had about 1/3 cup of black beans in it and was sick for 3 days with chest pain.  Never had a problem with beans before but sugar has caused acid reflux to worsen.  After this starts, if I burp, I do feel better and have never burped like this prior to gallbladder surgery.  My stomach rumbles more now then it ever has and makes no difference what I have eaten. 

What I want to know is does it ever go away because in the 5 months I have started with this, it has been ongoing.  If I have to modify my diet to make this stop I will.  Doctors have me on different meds that really don't help and the acid reflux is much worse too.  Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.

• Posted

It seems to me that your difficulty is your hiatal hernia, which can cause heart attack like symptoms. If you are seeing a gastroenterologist, find another one, because this is a common problem for those who have hiatal hernias.

You might need to have yours repaired.    

I know, because I have one, and it feels as though an elephant is sitting on your chest.  xx 

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I am so sorry for your pain and can relate to the chest pressure.  I have been told that my hernia is to small to be repaired.  Having said that I was also told that if I'm symptomatic they would operate.  I just don't want another surgery right now and am not confident that is the answer.  I don't know why 4 months after my gallbladder surgery these symptoms started.  This seems to be a pattern in others IE chest pain didn't start until several months after surgery.   Also, I have read that there is a nerve that could be damaged during the hiatal hernia surgery that will cause pain for the rest of my life.  I'm in enough pain now and don't want to chance making anything worse.  I am switching gastro doctors as my current doctor is leaving the practice.  Still, I do feel I'm on my own to figure out what is going on.  I would like to know if anyone has improved with time and or change in diet so if anyone has please let me know to give me some encouragement.   

• Posted

My hiatal hernia has been described as "small' or "medium" depending on different CT scan reports done by different radiologists. I have minimized the trouble I have with mine by eating in moderation, small meals, and avoiding food and drink that causes gas. I also never eat or drink when I'm reclining.  Best to eat and drink when sitting up.  

Though lots of patients are told to resume eating normally by their surgeons, I think it's a mistake.  There are those who should be careful.  And, I also believe that many people who suffer from gallbladder disease, also have hiatal hernias.  But, when doctors, especially GP's, look for gallstones, they rarely seem to mention that the patient has a hiatal hernia as well.  

My hiatal hernia was found because my gastroenterologist insisted on an endoscopy and a colonoscopy before I had gallbladder surgery.

Also, hiatal hernias can get bigger and become more dangerous.  So, do take care. xx   

• Posted

You gave very good advise and I thank you for your response. 

• Posted

Thanks, going in for a Barium Esophagram next week and that is my last test for a while as I have to have my knee replaced - (different forum LOL)  Will be doing research on hernia repairs while I'm recovering from my knee but still not sure that is the complete answer and feel it is diet related too.  Just don't want to jump into a decision while I'm in pain for another surgery that may or may not make things better.  Guess I'm in the same boat with a lot of others.  The biggest thing I don't understand is why the gastro doctors (2 so far) act like they have NEVER heard of anyone with these systems after gallbladder surgery. 

• Posted

Wel, they don't want to admit they missed something, in my opinion.  They are shielding themselves.  Good luck! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.