Severe Pain in Diaphragm and Chest after Laparoscopic Gallbladder Removal

Posted , 28 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed last Friday using keyhole surgery.  All was going really well till Monday when I suddenly started having severe (literally breathtaking) pain under my diaphragm.  The pain radiates right through my chest into my shoulders, neck and back and I'm sweating and literally have to breathe through it.  I honestly have only ever experienced similar severity of pain when I was in labour. It is horrendous and all the walking about and rocking, I've tried everything, doesn't do anything.  It lasts for an hour or two and twice I've been close to calling an ambulance because I don't think I can cope another second and I feel like I'm having a heart attack. Is it normal for the pain to be so severe? Has anyone else experienced it to this level before? Everything I read says the wind pain is bad but no one seems to describe it with the severity I do! I just hope it is the wind and nothing more serious. Would appreciate any input from anyone else and what you did to help disperse the gas. Thanks! 

3 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Bev, i am experiencing exact same thing and so very sore and painful. Its saturday and had op on thursday. I do not feel any better and need help getting off sofa to go upstairs to toilet. Even spending the nights sat up on sofa with lots of cushions and pillows as no way can i lie down on the bed as way too painful. Feeling utterly miserable. I am female, 47 and have been in labour twice but not as bad as this pain. I struggle to walk around. My shoulder has also been painful so have been putting hot wheat bag on it as think its the trapped gas which they put in my tummy in op. Hope you are feeling better.

• Posted

omg the pain has been so much worse than was explained. DR gave me 5mg oxcodone every five hours and it is not doing anything. if anyone knows of things i can do please let me know

• Posted

i had my surgery 24 hours ago and my chest wall is hurting so much worse than anything else at this point. Today stomach is also bloated so i am hoping it is the gas causing all the pain. have you found any relief? If so, what?

• Posted

The gas only lasted 24 hours with me I kept using indigestion remedies like Rennies I bought the liquid Rennie it's in a bottle it is x I just found it uncomfortable you may want to contact the hospital get that checked out like it it doesn't subside in 2 days ring then cause it should calmed down by then in all honesty x

• Posted

hi there sorry to hear your in pain your not in your own though!!! i am nearly 4 weeks post operative key hole surgery i was doing fine until a about 4 days ago when i got pain where my gall bladder was radiating to my back and a pain just under my sternum too was horrid ! just like when i had a stone in bile duct ! took some buscapan and even a rennie had to put a hot water bottle on my back it was pretty frightening went to,bed dear not move . always happens at night not even eating much for weeks lost so much weight now and bowels not working well either . Have a follow up appointment on the 25th of July really worried now and nit much faith now in my treatment being misdiagnosed for over a year too seems ive been in PAIN since JAN 2018 no life is it 😦 😦

• Edited

I am having the exact same issue. I had my surgery three weeks ago in two days and just wanted to know if the pain ever stopped or what the result was for you ?

• Posted

Thank you so much for this posting. It helped me a lot and made me feel not alone. I too had this pain two weeks after having my gallbladder removed. After an ER visit with bloodwork, EKG and CT scan, they couldn't find anything but my pain continued on and off. My blood tests were run again a few days later and showed a serious issue with my liver. After an MRI the doc confirmed some of my gallstones escaped during surgery and were in my common bile duct. I was able to have an ERCP done and the stones were removed. It was weird it happened weeks after surgery and only happens about 10% of people who go through this. I feel great and normal now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.