Severe persistent shortness of breath/ Metallic taste after breathing exercises

Posted , 7 users are following.

Im 21 year old male and I have been writing about my condition before, but last two days shortness of breath went out of control.

I have been working on myself and saw improvement in other symptoms but breathing. Breathing is worse. The pulmoraly ( lung capacity etc.)tests I had were alright, my ekg ok, blood ok, my oxygen level in blood near 100%, blood pressure was 105/60, heartbeat usually doesnt go above 80 if im still.

I had this problem for more than 4 months now and it got worse last few days and I simply dont get it why. My anxiety was improving and then I suddenly like feeling like suffocating. This is persistent. Because of that my anxiety is going back to pretty much severe anxiety.

I am trying lip pursed breathing and after intensly inhaling and exhaling my breathing "tasted" and felt like something metallic ( like blood in mouth) even though there was no blood.

I also feel like a weight in throat and chest area. Should I be concerned ? I really am because it feels like im going to suffocate one day.

One more thing. I sleep pretty much normaly idk how. I can also do sports and my breathing during that wont get worse. Few times it kind of felt like a small relief but not sure.

Im on vacation currently so I wont be visiting my doctor for at least a week. What should I do ? Can it be anything alarming?

1 like, 77 replies

77 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oh Happyguy. We already know you suffer from anxiety, and then when you obsess on breathing, you go into panic mode. Did you get on a antidepressant yet?
    • Posted

I did not take any antidepressant yet. I will probably get them but havent been prescribed any yet.

• Posted

Would it cheer you up if the ladies continued to have 'it's a girl-thing' conversations?

Because we can do that..........................like forever.

Just say the word and we'll start on our LISTS..............

• Posted

LOL! It's a woman thing isn't it? We go off on a tangent and scarcely stop to draw breath. But hey, boring we are not and distractions from ones self are never a bad thing smile

• Posted

LISTS of men we'd like to um.......get to know a little better......Mine change a little but mostly I just add another one when I see him on the telly or in a film.

Or the decorator who painted my friend's house...........

It's just thoughts. I wouldn't be unfaithful.  cheesygrin

• Posted

Definitely James Nesbitt and Mark Rylance...nothing wrong with dreaming...though there sre those who might say my choices are more of a nightmare. Still whatever floats your boat, eh? I adored Steve McQueen..sigh..not one for the pretty boys am I? LOL
    • Posted

Vic Reeves and Alexander Armstrong are on mine. Just in case anyone's interested.

• Posted

Of course we are interested! We ladies like to know everything! I
  • Posted

Do you think all this can be related to your digestive system? Gerd? Reflux maybe an irratated gallbladder shooting up a little bile (the metallic taste) its can all be anxiety related, med related,  diet related or lifestyle related. Look into diets that can ease this up. And drink half your body weight in ounces in filtered fresh water a day. Wash this gunk out of you and hydrate all your organs. 
    • Posted

Spring clean the innards! What a sensible, sound idea. Again I thank you.
    • Posted

I do have gerd but it should be under control. Also my gerd is very very mild so many docs don't really believe it can cause me this problem. It is true that I could have gotten gerd because of anxiety but I doubt it. I had shortness of breath for 4 months now but back then I never felt anxious... I just couldn't breath. It is true that shortness of breath came in very slowly. I remember having those shortness of breath episodes longer every single day until I became constant. Afterwards, I started feeling very anxious and I started getting many other symptoms.

It is also true that my life was very very stressful. I studied or worked from morning until I went to sleep. I did take time for sports tho. This could cause the problem. Still like I said when the shortness of breath striked I didnt "feel" anxious.

Other than that I live very healthy. I eat good, I drink a lot of water and do a lot of sports. I wouldnt say meds are causing this.

• Posted

My shortness of breath, like I said, is very weird. I have it constant 24/7 no matter how anxious I feel. I can have the best time in the world and I would have this problem. Exercising doesnt make it worse. I am able to do it to some point. If I exercise intensly ( i didnt do it for quite some time) I start getting big problems with catching my breath ( even though my body is nowhere near tired and could go on and way faster while my breathing blocks me). I know that everybody has problems with breathing when doing sports intensly, but mine is different. 2 months ago my breathing blocked me from going on when going for a run. It is hard to explain, but it feels like my body doesnt take the oxygen. It goes in the lungs but refuses to go on. Keep in mind that this is just the feeling and the tests showed that my oxygen goes in blood and it shouldnt be a problem. I also have bigger problems when I go for a swim and I never really had them. It is also true that the last few times I got very anxious doing sports because I became afraid of it for no reason. Before my problems I was pretty extreme sportsman. Many times I pushed my body to my limits. It can also be that. My body could be mentally and physically very tired. I read about this and I think it can actually cause these problems. Not sure.

I still think it should be anxiety. So far no test showed anything really wrong with me and if there was something serious I probably wouldn't make it so far without treating it. I am really lucky because I got opportunity to be taken a look from a very good doctor in this area. There I will finally see what is the problem. If he says it is just anxiety I will be able to sleep tight knowing that there is really nothing organically wrong with me.

Stay strong everybody smile

• Posted

What is you oxygen absorbtion number.    I get the breath problem while sitting here at times, brushing teeth, stirring a pot. I do the breathing routine every time.
    • Posted

Great, so your body is oxygen rich. Just anxiety is to me a strange term because, I was given a death date from cancer, and am 40 years past it, cancer gone. Now it is cirrhosos stage 4, and I still consider this anxiety problem worse than either of them. That's why I think the term just anxiety is strange.

Once you settle in and really accept that for a time, this is going to be a part of your life, you will relax and learn, as we all had to, how to deal with it withour being in a battle with it...that just makes the anxiety worse. You will get lots of good tips and advice here, I surely did. Every one that you see as helping you, has and often still does need the support, wisdom and humor of each other. Hugs, darlin'.

• Posted

I am really sorry you had to go through all that. I probably can't even imagine how it looks like to fight those things. Anyways, the book by Joe Barry helps me the most fighting anxiety actually . It might help you too. The principle is quite different than most therapists use it.

• Posted

Thank you for those caring words, Honey. The truth of the matter is I never had a bad moment with the cancer. The doctors gave up on me but I didn't, and didn't think God did either. I just went on with my life as usual, no anxiety or doubt whatsoever. In the next few month traveling with friends I met a woman who decided to take me in and clean out the cancer and chemo. I already knew the necessity of not giving it any power which was key, and she did the rest, mostly with food..(.another story)... I was with her family for almost a year doing my bit as a minister in her church, and helping her with her Shakley business. i walked out her door cancer free.

As to the cirrhosis, I don't pay any attention to that either. i just had a conversation with my doc two days ago whether I wanted to take the new med recently available, or just let nature take its course. I was fine with either. We decided together that since the side effects were few and not terrible, I would give it a shot.

I have found that doing battle with anything gives the thing more power. Accepting what is creates an environment where change is able to happen,

I am very content, feel very useful here, and grateful for these wonderful people, including you Sweetie Pie. On the doctor's notes, on the papers we are given when we leave, I noted that under "Patient comment" he wrote..."is very happy with life."

If any part of this cia saga helps in any way, I am even happier.

• Posted

You truly are a remarkable woman! An inspiration to one and all. I am blessed to "know" you

• Posted

Really remarkable story ! I will keep a note of what you said.

I have a feeling that I have lung infection. I read about it and it could be a thing I think. The problem is that when I was doing some sports today I couldnt catch my breath. I had to stop and I had very hard time getting some air. It was actually worse doing sports I think. I think sports should improve my breathing right ?

Honestly I dont even know anymore. This is just suffering all the time. I hope its not heart or something else serious. Yeah I know im panicking but that was weired.

• Posted

Almost all of us have breath issues, me included. It is not your lungs, it is another very, very common anxiety symptom. Why were you reading about lung problems.....stay off google. There is now a term for checking everything on line...Cyberphobia!!!

Every doctor and many nurses say that every time they studied a new disease, they were sure they had it.

I get the breath thing up to ten+ times a day. I sit down and relax as best I can, breathe in as much air as I can, without forcing...and let the air out through mouth....without forcing. I keep this up until I am breathing fully and easily. It takes me from about 30 seconds to a minute.

• Posted

Sorry for late reply. I tried it and it didn't help rolleyes I am also trying meditation. I hope it helps. Still thanks for your help smile

• Posted

Keep trying things, as you are doing, until you find YOUR magic button, Happyguy. And of course stay with us for support and ideas, as well as your input here. We appreciate you. Hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.