Severe symptoms 1-2 times a year

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am desperate for some help and just don't know where to turn.  I had been diagnosed with IBS around 2009 but, a couple of years ago, after a colonoscopy the consultant told me I had diverticular disease.

Once a year, usually around March-April (go figure) for at least 5 years I have suffered with an instensely bad 'bout' - severe vomitting, diarrhoea, weakness to the point of passing out, followed by bleeding.  The bleeding has got progressively worse each bout I experience - it was originally pink and didn't start until a couple of days in.  Now it appears almost instantly. And I'm currently in the middle of experiencing a 2nd bout this year.  They are terrifying as the pain, passing out, bleeding - all when on your own - is extremely hard to cope with.  And oddly I know when it's going to happen - my mouth goes sort of numb.  This isn't gastric fluids as I've watched out for that - I really can't explain why that happens.  But 30 minutes after I notice the sensation, the 'bout' offiicially starts.  This time I got myself upstairs ready for it to start.

I really need some advice how to cope with this and whether I should push for further action from my doctor/consultant.

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

My (engineer's) theory is that a high percentage of people in their 50s, say, do have some pocketing that shows-up in colonoscopy (me included).  However, the proximate cause of bowel issues (or lack of?... sorry) is something more fundamental, sometimes.  When I did my research, I came across this NHS treatise on 'Ulcerative Colitis'

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Ulcerative-colitis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

It seems to fit your picture rather too well, imho.  I hope you can get the medics to condifer this label in order to be more supportive, perhaps.

Good luck,

Pete.

• Posted

Pete - thanks for the link.  I must admit it sounds suspicious but the only thing I can say is that, in my case, the severest symptoms where everything is happening together only lasts about 2-3 hours.  Then I'm just left with the after effects of blood loss, stomach cramps and rushing to the loo periodically.  

So, the latest event happened Saturday evening and I'm at the tail end of the symptoms now.  Still suffering tummy pains very occasionally, and blood is still noticeable.  Raised temperature only lasts a few hours as well.

In the cold light of day you feel such a sham.  But the fact I was struggling to walk a few feet without passing out is not right, surely sad

• Posted

Back from the doctors and she's referring me to the consultant again. All I want is to be told this is to be expected and this is what I can do to help.  

I mean, you see these posters everywhere - if you find blood you must tell your doctor!  And what happens when you do?  They just make sympathetic noises and that's it.  Even having a blood test previously to show an infection did nothing.  "Yes, as we thought, you had an infection."  That's that sorted then...  It just proved something - and nothing else was offered.  

She didn't even offer it this time not that I would necessarily have wanted it.  What would be the point of another long wait at the hospital to get the results a week or so later when it's too late.

I think Jacqueline is right - rather than 999 it will be 111 next time.  But let's see what the consultant has to offer.

Thanks all for your help - it's really appreciated!  I want to try and keep optimistic!

• Posted

Good start ,you are on your way. ASK QUESTIONS when you see the 

consultant.

Don't get too down in the dumps you now know that there are lots of

us here to talk to ,even if you just want to sound off

Big  cheesygrin  for you x

• Posted

Morning Crispy   How are you this morning???

My flare is subsiding  Wonder why it's called a flare Explosion would be

a better description.A lot like Bonfire   night without the toffee applesexclaim

• Posted

so, are you going to tell us what is happening to you'are you being 

sorted, or put back in the "in tray "?

You are not allowed to dump us frown

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.