Severe tingling/itching whenever body heats up. Cannot sweat

Posted , 47 users are following.

I have this strange new problem that just started happening to me recently. I don't sweat anymore (except under my arms) whenever I get hot. Instead my body becomes severely itchy and I get a full body tingling/pins & needles sensation. It is extremely painful and spreads through my body in a lightning type of pattern. It happens every time I get hot, nervous or physically exert myself. It evens happens if I laugh too much. It seems that in every situation where my body would normally sweat I don't anymore. I also notice when this happens my whole body becomes red and small bumps appear all over my arms and chest area. What I'm assuming is that this is some severe case of clogged sweat pores but all over my body instead of one specific place. Are there any doctors out there that know what this is and/or know of any medications that can open up sweat pores? Cold showers do not work. I am a 20 year old male.

3 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hello,

I have been searching all over the web for this exact forum, I have been having the same symptoms everyone is describing in this thread. I see there has not been a clear solution added however I thought I would share my experience. If someone who has posted in this thread previously has found the true cause of this please reply.

About 2-3 months ago I started to get this intense tingling/itching with spurts of sharp pains all through my body whenever i started to get hot. This had never happened before but now every time i go to the gym and start on the treadmill, 2-3 minutes of walking up hill and the skin flushing starts. This can also be activated if I'm just at the house folding laundry and i start to get a little hot. The intense itching lasts about 10-15 minutes and sometimes it's almost unbearable. There is no visible rash or bumps on my skin when this happens. I try to use mind over matter and ignore it but it's defiantly there. I am 27 years old and in fairly decent shape, a frequent gym goer and this has never happened before. I thought it was a new pre workout supplement i had been taking that caused this but after eliminating this supplement, two weeks later and i still get the what i call, skin flushes.

I started to get worried and scheduled a doctors appointment. I went to see my Primary Care doctor and explained everything that is happening. Since I already had a minor case of asthma and mild seasonal allergies the doctor called this a histamine reaction. He recommended I take two Zyrtecs a day to calm this reaction however it has been about two weeks since my doctors visit and i am still getting this feeling. We did a blood test/Metabolic Panel and everything came back normal, kidneys, liver and glucose levels were all normal. After reading through this thread I spoke with my mother to see if this happened to her (someone mentioned it could be hereditary) and she confirmed she gets it a lot but she just thought her "body was tired". So I am coming to the conclusion that this might be hereditary. I am going to contact my PCP and tell him this is still happening and see if he advises something else.

I also wanted to mention I am currently at my heaviest weight ever, i have gained about 20 pounds since last summer and I am starting to think weight gain has something to do with this. I am 6'3 and 260 at the moment, however i can lose weight very fast.

As of today, i have purchased some B Complex vitamin pills and I exchanged my laundry detergent to a hypoallerginic version just to eliminate those from this problem. I will report back in a couple weeks and see how things go with my diet starting again.

Again, if anyone has found some answers to this extreme skin flushing I would greatly appreciate some responses.

• Posted

I have had the exact thing starting at nearly the same time and I am approx the same age. I have tried Zyrtec, metaproprolol, proprolol and all new detergents and shampoos. my GP thinks it is anxiety related though I don't feel anxious. Please keep me posted as I do a lot of manual labor and it is extremely hard to work through. Thanks!

• Posted

Hi,

So far nothing has stopped this reaction. I have been hitting the gym very hard and at first it seemed to slow down but unfortunately it is still happening. I am pretty much stuck at the moment. My GP suggested that I see a dermatologist to have testing done. I think i may go see one soon.

Best,

Don

• Posted

Hi Don,

Ive been searching all over the internet and found your response and it matches my symptoms and experience pretty closely. I just want to share my experience as well if anyone has any answers or it helps anyone.

Starting about 4 months ago I started to feel this burning/itching/pins and needles feeling when i start to get hot but before I fully sweat. It is very uncomfortable and painful. i've found that after I start fully sweating, the feeling goes away completely. so if i go for a run, the first 5-10mins I feel pain but after i start fully sweating it gets better. The worst is when I do some activity where I am slightly exerting myself but not fully sweating, like walking uphill on a sunny day. Since I never start fully sweating a lot, I am uncomfortable the whole time. Ive also had it come up a bit (I think) when I feel nervous or anxious.

It feels like it is on my skin but I dont have any visible marks. When it started it was only on my back, but now the feeling happens all over my body, especially the back/wrists/ankles.

Before this I was perfectly healthy and exercised regularly. I am in my late 20s and male.

Ive seen a GP and a dermatologist multiple times and the only advice i got was to take an antihistamine (claratin) and then a few months later they had me try Pepcid as well. The claratin mildly helps but I dont think the pepcid did anything so I stopped that.

They are sending me to an allergist now so I will check to see if I have any allergies and if that could be the cause.

Ive found this thread pretty helpful so I will update if I find out any more info

• Posted

hi

i had pins and needle like feeling since 2020 just before january and i thought it was nothing then i started to get them regularly and i was worried im only 15 and all these responses are from over 20 so i went to my doctor and he said its fine theres nothing to worry about its normal. but i think this has somthing to do with COVID-19 as all of these responses are from 2020 just after covid was every where. But i am not fully sure but i just hope it goes away or they find the cure or what it is. i hope we all get better.

• Posted

Hi Jay. how r u doing now? I m going through the same. any suggestions?

• Posted

I've dealt with this condition for over 20 years off and on. It's been about a year since I last had an episode but it recently started again a last week. The only thing that works for me as well is to start of my day doing hard cardio until I start to sweat. This morning I ordered a neoprene sauna suit that's suppose to make you sweat quickly while working out. I should arrive tomorrow and I hope it works. Right now, it can take me up to 10 mins to start a good sweat while working out, and those 10 mins are very painful.

• Edited

Does anyone have an update? About a year ago I started experiencing this, I can also say that this happens during the winter time. My vitamin b12 levels is at 449 pg/ml on a scale frrom 180-914 according to my lab. Still on the low end-normal. But then again, a year ago I had vitamin b12 levels of 682 which is normal range.

I'll supplement more b12 to see if it has any effect.

Thyroid is in check and everything else

Are you guys diabetic or have been diagnosed with multiple schelorisis sclerosis?

Im 21 and also am an active gym goer.

What doctors have you guys went to? Does neurologist work? I also got tested and have no allergies.

My dermatologist recommended zyrtec and also did not work.

You guys talked about cholinergic urticaria which doesn't seem to be my condition since it stated bumps. I just get random red rashes throughout my body but mostly the face

There doesn't seem to be much info about what we're experiencing, perhaps maybe an unknown disease or body overreacting ?

I don't know if its related but sometimes my feet would have a sharp sensation after going on the treadmill, looks to be a condition called plantar fasciitis

• Posted

I started using the neoprene sauna suit while doing cardio and is has relieved the pain. I start to sweat immediately without any discomfort. I tried working out without the suit yesterday and I felt just a little tingle, but it's nowhere near as painful as it was before I bought the suit. nothing prescribed by my doctor ever worked.

• Posted

I'm definitely following this question. I started having these exact same symptoms this winter. When I get hot I start having a pins/needles/tingling feeling in the area of my body that's hot. It is different feeling from the pins and needle feeling that you get with nerve damage. The reason why I know is because I suffer from nerve damage, and this is a completely different feeling. The pins/needles/tingling feeling immediately goes away after I cool down.

• Posted

That happens to me aswell and im under 18 and teh doctors say its conpletely normal. But i dont think it it

• Posted

Hey, sorry to hear this. You should consider going to a different doctor or convincing your current doctor to take you more seriously because this definitely is not normal. I have never met someone else with this problem in all the years I have had it.

• Edited

Wow this is literally the only place on the internet that describes my problem too. I am a 17 year old male who used to exercise daily before quarantine and has notably gained weight due to this lack of exercise. I thought it was simply dry skin because it would usually happen 1-8 hours after taking a long hot shower and it has just started this winter. The only other thing I can think it may be is that I started taking ADHD meds around the time it started as well. I have not seen or felt any sense of hives, bumps, or redness or anything when it happens. It just happens.

I have been getting the same thing. I am doing literally anything that would put me on the brink of sweating profusely (Like walking up and down stairs with a coat on or starting work off by sweeping off the stuck dirt on floor mats). I can usually just continue on without scratching myself but it takes a lot of effort. It is if my body really wants to sweat. So the short term solution is to instantly exert myself in whatever I am doing to try and sweat to relieve the pins. My pins take place from my neck down to my waist and it's certainly become a regular part of my day. I would also like to add that it has certain "resting periods" where it won't happen again for another few hours after an "attack". It's tolerable but annoying asf. Luckily I have a physical check-up today so I'll certainly get back to you guys on what happens.

TLDR: I have the exact same thing as you guys. Exerting myself the instant I feel pins to force myself to sweat works temporarily. I have a doctor's appointment today and I'll get back on my findings. I know it's been said a lot, but forcing yourself to sweat works well. I figured out that running or playing a sport works the best for instant sweat.

• Posted

Well. She blew it off as something that everyone has even though I told her I go through pain with it. She actually joked around that I didn't know it happens to everyone. I thought it was kinda rare cuz no one talks about it. Now I'm just confused. Oh well.

• Edited

Hey, this is quite an old discussion but it is still active so I would like to share my own discoveries here, since just recently an event in my life made this itch problem disappear almost ENTIRELY (!!!!). I don't really understand the whole situation and can't tell what exactly helped, maybe someone else will be able to make better use of my own story (first paragraph is only a description of how the problem felt like to me):

I'm 20 years old and this itch problem started "developing" at the end of 2016, I say developing because it wasn't too intense the first few weeks, it took few months for it to reach the maximum intensity at which it stayed up until now. This intense and painful pins & needles sensation would trigger all over my body every time I got hot because of the outside temperature or me wearing a jacket; every time I became hot because of feeling a negative emotion like anger, anxiety, despair, etc; every time I would do sports; every time it was cold outside and I just re-entered the heated house; the list goes on with the same logic: Any situation in which I would sweat in any way, I felt this itch and pins/needles all over my body instead. At first my body didn't turn red or get rashes or anything, but over time I started getting a lot of rashes and just redness on my arms, neck, chest and probably other parts of my body too when this state triggered. I've been to around 7 doctors in total and some of them said it's something that everyone has, others gave me some expensive medication but nothing changed anything at all. Workout was one working solution but I would have to stop working out only for around a week for the problem to return to full power.

Fast forward to 2021 -> I was in a relationship with someone but she left me on January 9th, I started experiencing probably the worst kind of mental pain of my life, the event traumatized me and I got into this state of crying for hours on end every day, being extremely lethargic and tired despite of sleeping longer than usual, being on the verge of mental breakdown every minute of the day and my main focus in life had just become survival and doing my best to not have suicidal thoughts constantly. Don't know why but on February 14th (this literally happened from one day to the next, in a time-span of under 10 hours) I woke up, and it was gone. The itch problem disappeared almost entirely and I waited until now before writing this post because I wasn't expecting this thing to be permanent. Now it still triggers but it takes a lot more heat and isn't intense at all, in fact I'm so numbed to it that when it triggers now I just suck it up and don't do anything until it goes away on its own. It barely exists anymore; maybe constantly crying has to do something with it; maybe it has to do with the constant lethargy; maybe just the mental pain, I can't tell.

Hope someone is able to do something useful with this information and for all the people out there who are in despair because of this problem: It's not incurable, I hope this post motivates you a little!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.