Severe tingling/itching whenever body heats up. Cannot sweat

Posted , 47 users are following.

I have this strange new problem that just started happening to me recently. I don't sweat anymore (except under my arms) whenever I get hot. Instead my body becomes severely itchy and I get a full body tingling/pins & needles sensation. It is extremely painful and spreads through my body in a lightning type of pattern. It happens every time I get hot, nervous or physically exert myself. It evens happens if I laugh too much. It seems that in every situation where my body would normally sweat I don't anymore. I also notice when this happens my whole body becomes red and small bumps appear all over my arms and chest area. What I'm assuming is that this is some severe case of clogged sweat pores but all over my body instead of one specific place. Are there any doctors out there that know what this is and/or know of any medications that can open up sweat pores? Cold showers do not work. I am a 20 year old male.

3 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Robert! My son is having this problem. He is only 17. It started when we moved to Upstate New York from Las Vegas. Can I ask you: are you very tall? My son is a giant at 6'4". I appreciate your help with this.

• Posted

Hi Amy, I'm really sorry your son is experiencing this problem and I hope he recovers. To answer your question no I am not tall, I'm only 5' 5".

• Posted

Hi

i have the same situation here. my primary doctor advised me to try vitamin b12 for a month sincere I have b12 deficiency. how r u doing now?

• Posted

I am having the EXACT same troubles, now that the weather is warming i cannot be in the sun for more than 10 seconds. seems that anything that causes my heart rate to increase or blood pressure to increase i start going insane, the start of a sweat or anything, the only thing i can get to stop it is cold air, my body feels like its overheating and its response is itching its torture.

its begins near my hairline wrists and ankles its only takes a second after that then i literally cannot finish anything i am doing, this problem is so severe I'm going to end up loosing my career and sanity over it!

• Posted

only no visible irritation to the skin

• Posted

hi I am having the same problem. did u see a doctor? any medication?

• Edited

Hello Robert and all,

I can't believe I found this page!!

I'll try to shorten my story:

~22 years ago (I'm now 52 years old) I suddenly got a severe vertigo that continued 2 month and after that it lasted about half a year with less intense attacks (~ once a week) and after that reduced to about once every two weeks. When it happened, it was usually when I become stress/nerves (before presentation…). During this time, I went to see many doctors and even did brain CT. Nothing was found. Before it started there were few events: Birth of my first daughter, my father passed a way at age 54, I made big professional change including starting Engineering studding while working almost full job.

After 2 years (20 years ago) strange itching problem suddenly appeared. It was frightening and I did many checks (Internal medicine expert, Endocrinologist and Neurologist).

It appeared when I became worries/nervous, when I sneeze and of course when I exercised.

I recall telling all doctors that it's like I stopped sweeting and instead this severe itching appears. No one knew what it was. After the neurologist did some tests including AEG to my legs and couldn't find something wrong, he concluded by saying that it might be related to stress. B12 also didn't help.

So about 6 months since it started, I was a pointed by a friend to homeopathy treatment.

After few treatments, it started to somewhat improve, and the therapy woman told me the following which changed my life:

"There is a girl that her parents brought her to treatment. They were rich and both ambitious businessman which quite neglected her (many hours alone or with nanny at home…). After few treatments she felt better, and they concluded the treatment. After another year they returned with their daughter. This time she developed Cancer!!

The body is very smart and tries to protect you. He tries to stop you if you overstress yourself. He does it gently at the beginning (flu…), but if you ignore he shouts loader!

By no doubt your problem is related to stress. I will find with adjustment the formula that will solve this problem BUT You MUST find a way to RELAX yourself on a regular basis otherwise something else will appear!!"

It took me two weeks to start a Meditation course I found in the internet (19 years ago it wasn't so easy). After 2-3 weeks it totally disappeared including the vertigo I had!!

I could say that it disappeared forever but here I am in this forum since unfortunately about a year ago it started again. The itching started in the beginning on my foots and after some time it returned like it was 19 years ago. It gets worst in dry and cold weather. For example, when I ride mountain bikes it can start after 15mins and then for about another 15min of itching until I really sweat and then it relaxes.

Since I have the experience from last time (19 years ago) I took things more relaxed. I did basic blood test but didn't started a big medical investigation since I believe it's the same thing and the source is mainly from stress in my case.

I know that I had very stressed two years mainly related to my job and professional. I also work mostly from home and spend a lot of hours in front a computer screen.

I still practice meditation but less intense than in the first 10 years. I must return to practice more. I plan also to exercise more in order to sweat more as some of you wrote here. I'm optimistic and I hope I could overcome it again.

I'm sure that also now its tress related:

whenever I get stressed, immediately I get the itching. Also when I have the itching and I relax myself (stop thinking, birthing slowly…) it definitely helps. I should ask myself again if it isn't a wake-up call from the body to stop stress myself.

My suggestions is first to see a doctor and have at list any tests he suggest just to see you don't have anything more serious, but in parallel ask yourself how stressed are you and if in your case this can be the reason. When it happens try to keep calm and see if it changes something in the severity. I know it's difficult since it follows with a lot of frightening thoughts…

Nowadays there are a lot of options to get relaxed: Yoga, Mindfulness, Tai-Chi, Meditation…

I hope my story encourage some of you: I was "clean" and healthy for 18 years after I add this rear and disturbing phenomenon.

• Posted

Hi Udi,

Thank you for sharing your story and I'm glad you found a method that works for you. For me the cause is a medical condition called Cholinergic Urticaria, you might want to bring that up to a doctor if you would like in case they haven't though of it. I can say that I am stressed though not to a large degree that would result in this problem I don't think. But I have always wanted to start doing meditations and such so maybe I will give it a go and see if it helps me. Good luck on your journey and I hope you get better soon.

• Edited

first off, I would like to express my gratitude towards everyone sharing their experiences, it has left me with an overwhelming sense of relief that people are experiencing the same pain I am.

That being said, I have almost the exact same symptoms as everyone here, with itching, tingling pain throughout my body, and flushed skin whenever it feels like I am about to sweat. The condition has been manageable up to this year, when during about March the pain started becoming almost unbearable. I had to suck it up, because I could find nothing else that fit what I had online.

Only recently after discovering this forum have I finally realized that the main factor is sweat. I can definitely say that after starting to exercise and sweat more the pain has significantly subsided. However, I also know that my condition goes in cycles, sometimes I can have sweat over my entire body and feel little pain, and after a few months the pain comes back and I can barely break a sweat, even with heavy exercise.

I have taken anti-allergy medication, and it hasn't done anything. It sounds like most medical practitioners don't seem to take the condition very seriously, and it makes me immensely grateful that this forum is still active. I'm only 16, but this condition has left me extremely miserable, so any helpful advice would be much appreciated.

• Posted

Hi Wes,

I'm very sorry you're also experiencing this condition and I hope you get better soon. Try to ask your doctor about a condition called Cholinergic Urticaria. I believe that's the condition we all have. There are various treatments out there and they don't work for everyone, but maybe your doctor can find something that does. And of course whenever you find yourself able to workout and sweat, take advantage of it, even a little bit of sweat helps. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi @robert00172

Have you started your treatment on Cholinergic Urticaria? Any improvement?

• Edited

Hi,

Sorry but I haven't tried any treatments for it, just read about them. The only treatments I do are exercising and sweating and that works extremely well if you do it consistently.

• Posted

Hey Robert and fellow people! I, just like all of you, suffer from the same issue!

I recently visited an urgent care clinic to address this issue and they claimed what the cause of this issue was a pinched nerve. Coincidentally, the pain began for me last October 15th after I had woken up propped up against the wall, and it caused great pain initially. If the issue is truly a pinched nerve, then that would explain why.

Have any of you guys noticed or believe that posture or body positioned may be responsible for this?

The doctor gave me a steroid shot, but it wore off in four days. In the days I had the medicine in my body, it did not fully stop the painful sting/itch, but it did stop it after five minutes of physical activity.

Good luck to all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.