Severe upper arm pain

Posted , 22 users are following.

Have had Frozen Shoulder now for a few months in my left arm . Anyone else find they had more pain in their upper Arm? . My shoulder was painful in first month but it's more stiff now . It's the pain in my arm around the biceps that especially on movement is severe . Is this normal ? I hear a lot about pain in shoulder but not in arm . 😞😞

3 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes it starts with painful biceps in upper arm and around the shoulder blade area, you may have some trigger points like lumps that really hurt when pressed near the should blade, have you injured your arm or over worked the muscles.  It will be around 3 to 4 months of pain then freezing up and then thawing.  |But it does sound like the symptoms for fs, see a physio, and do not be duped by therapists who say they can cure you fs cannot be cured, its a process the body will fix in time.  
  • Posted

Hi

I too have FS, with severe pain in upper arm and forearm alsof following a fall.

I'm not sleeping well (it's been 3 months). I'm having physio (had one so far) but nothing seems to help. Feeling down, tearful and unhappy and wondering when the pain will stop.

I've read so much on the condition, including medical papers and testimonials from sufferers. It seems no one understands why it happens or has any evidence to support any kind of physio or intervention makes any difference.

Its depressing reading but the upshot is, it'll get better in its own time and that could be months or even years...

• Posted

Hi Mar57...welcome to the club, though I'm sorry you're in it too. You're in the worst stage for pain. Once it's frozen, you'll miss the range of motion, but you'll be able to sleep again. Glad you found the forum though & hope you can be encouraged that FS is self-limiting like you said, & a bunch of here are cheering you on even if it's the middle of the night wink Liane

• Posted

My advice is stay tuned to this forum. It will help get you through the tough days. It will make you feel that you are not alone. It will also give you tons of advice to deal with this awful disease. I learned so much with the help of others who understand what you are going through .
    • Posted

Thank you. You're right about people here understanding. I'm sure others who have not experienced FS thinks it's a bit of a stiff neck/ shoulder when you tell them! I probably would have thought the same pre-FS. My sympathy to everyone here who is experiencing it. It can be soul destroying at times.

On the upside, I've started gentle swimming in the hope of strengthening my muscles or at least stop them wasting any further. It doesn't seem to be doing any harm.. Anyone else found this helpful?

• Posted

Hi Maz unfortunately this is a condition Dr's don't have a lot of solutions for and everyone has different recovery times, a lot depending on how much scar tissue, adhesions and inflammation there is. Most people have a 1mm capsule thickness some people have 3 mm which is FS now these people may have a faster recovery compared to ones who have 8 mm, I had 6mm and even with ACR and MUA surgeries my recovery could still be a year or two. I'm 2 months past both surgical procedures and still cannot put deodorant on or shave under my right arm. Before surgery i had the excruciating pain for 4 months, I had a week that was pain free before surgery and I then had physiotherapy twice a week and had pain up until now 2 months later. My ROM the physio using there tool I'm only at 110 going straight up, 85 sideways and I can only just touch my hip when trying to put my arm behind my back. I know it's a long road for me but you may be lucky to have a shorter recovery and know one knows the width of there capsule unless you have surgery. Also exercise a lot it helps significantly smile

• Posted

Ask your doc for a referral for manipulation under anesthesia. Then therapy to get the shoulder moving. 

FS is usually caused by an injury leading to a build up of collagen in the capsule and facia tissue causing the shoulder to be blocked like scar tissue. 

Take care are hope your better soon. Also sleep with a shoulder brace to prevent damage while sleeping.

• Posted

Have read some bad things about this hope4cure. Outcomes worse, torn ligaments etc. Although a friend had it and worked for her. Undecided as to whether it's worth it?

• Posted

MUA is great. After mine was done I could immediately reach my arm almost straight up and had full ROM within two weeks with PT four days after the procedure and then twice a week for about 3 weeks. I still need to build my strength up but am hampered by the bicep pain others have talked about. I'm sure it will work out over time. My other shoulder resolved with no intervention at all. I'm glad I only have two shoulders but I know it does reappear sometimes. One day at a time. 🤗

• Posted

The pain is very common with FS. The pain is where the biceps muscle attaches to the bone. I forget why my therapist said its something almost everyone goes through especially when you're thawing. I get mine massaged to the point of crying out but it sure feels better afterwards.

• Posted

Hi, I had surgery in July for bone spurs and I developed frozen shoulder.  My upper arm pain was so painful and I could not straighten my arm.  I went to a Chiropractor who stripped my muscle. Her assistant just get pressing and following the muscle. Painful like hell but now no more pain. They had to do this for my bicep and also near the rotator cuff.  Going for should manipulation next Friday to speed this along.  Tried the shot in the joint but it was so inflammed and painful and I have a high tolerance for pain that I could not finish it.   Ask about stripping the bicep I never felt so good it did take a couple of days after.
  • Posted

Teresa42721: I read your post and some of these responses and it feels like my story. 

I started with tricep pain on 6/15/16 right after a massage. I have had some form of pain from my shoulder to my wrist 24/7.  Haven't slept more than 3 hours straight in four months. Went to an ortho in September because I couldn't raise my arm above my shoulder.  He did an x-ray and said I had calcific tendonitis.  Pain in shoulder and upper arm got worse.  I've had steriods, two cortisone shots, ibuprofen, naprosyn, tramadol, vicodin, percocet.  NOTHING touches this pain.  I had an MRI on Sunday and am getting results today.  There has to be more to this, right?  I have a lump in my bicep and extreme tenderness just below that lump when touching it.  I agree with the depression and wanting to cry. When will this get better?

• Posted

I too have a lump on my bicep just where the pain is worst. Anyone know why this is?
    • Posted

Same as the others. Triceps pain, lump although have one on the other arm too only not as prominent or as tender. Trying to lift arm gives me severe pain in Triceps and bicep. Dull ache in shoulier is constant and night time can be miserable. Wake 2 or 3 times per night. Painkillers help a little but not for long.

Wishing you well, you're not alone. I find reading these threads very helpful and in the middle of the night when I can't sleep, comforting that I'm not the only one cursed with FS.

• Posted

I know it's awful as you have to live with it every day and no one seems to get the pain . I and I am sure you do, think it never is going to go . All that I get told is it will go . I try to remain positive . I do spend times when I feel low but I have been told that the painful stage is usu

• Posted

The painful stage is usually over by 6 months . This forum helps a lot . Stay strong and we will get through it 😍

• Posted

Richard. I feel your pain. That is your long anchor tendon. You must get the inflammation down. Ice it several times a day if you can. Ibprophen will help some. Let it rest and try not to aggravate it. The pain will subside but be patient.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.