Severely bloating for 18 months

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, I'm just wondering has anyone suffered with the same symptoms as me and ever found a cure. About 18 months ago out of the blue my stomach started to bloat, more stomach distension. I was getting severe cramps and tugging feeling inside. Since then I have gotten a wide range of other symptoms like thrush, tiredness, brain fogginess p, nausea to name a few. These come and go but my severe bloating and cramps have been with me every single night since then. I thought it might've started from overuse of antibiotics. But this is me guessing. I have been to numerous doctors, nutritionists, allergy doctors but to no avail. I have tried ever diet under the sun and they relief some symtoms but not bloating and overall unwell feeling. I've had all the medical tests too. I have been off sugar and grains since January and also fodmaps. I have always been so strict but it's getting harder when nothing working. I tried some medication for bacteria and have been on nystatin a few months also for yeast. Not one person has done a stool test etc to check for parasites or yeast. They all just guess and give up when no improvement. It is getting me so down I'm not sure what to do next. Last thing I can think of is parasites. I have found the Irish medical system useless and I am constantly left on my own to figure it out. I was thinking of going to England maybe but it all costs. Anyone else suffer like this. In 18 months I think I have about 5 nights where symtoms not as bad. I was even put on 2 wk severe detox but no no avail. Losing hope and getting me down. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

Don't know if this helps but I have IBS and my symptoms changed a few months back causing severe bloating plus weight gaiin.  In the end I worked out that I had become dairy intollerant,  and my body was also having a problem with resistant starch.  Since eliminating dairy and miminising resistant starch, bloating has gone and weight is starting to go down.  (Resitant starch is apparently formed when things like potato and rice are cooked then allowed to cool, and also when you reheat food).  Hope that helps.

• Posted

Hi lucy and funshine

My symptoms too changed about a year ago. Do you ever feel like a chronic pain in the left lower abdomen, feels like a wound even when I move around. I feel it in my sleep. It is really weird. Used to be relieved after a bowel movement which is common with IBS but not anymore. It hurts before and after. I also cut out dairy coffe and even all breads no processed foods junk food don't know what to cut out anymore. Even cereal I am only eating cooked cereal. Trying some ginger today with tea.

Any thoughts?

Vivian

• Posted

I suffer disabilitating headaches with this, I fell like I'm being killed off some days, yes get the stomach pain too, I am doing the fodmap diet but not seeing results, keep wondering am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something? I too even before the diet was cutting out dairy as I always suspected that was a cause , I also cut out wheat / gluten which years ago found the pasta seemed safe with me the buckwheat one, I have found all bread/ pastries seems to effect me when wheat free ones, I wish I knew what foods where bothering me? I'm still struggling years later to pin point anyway.ive asked repeatedly for tests of lactose / sorbitol and fructose but getting no where and told to just eliminate them
  • Posted

I m from Croatia, age 51, I have a similar problems and also frustrates me the most that is (in Europe?) are no specialized clinics for treatment IBS.

In my stool I often can find the remains of undigested food (the last two months I have to eat according to the list of allowed foods, threw himself wheat, store products of milk, sugar, etc.), so when it connects with bloating, belching, and spasms in the upper abdomen, I wonder whether someone with similar experiences? Gastro-colonoscopic finding did show nothing.

• Posted

There are two hospitals in London that might be able4 to help.

LOndon Bridge hospital are offering consulting services regarding  the FODMAP diet so I expect they would also examine the patients to ensure that the diagnosis of IBS was correct before they start.   From their website " For more information on the Low FODMAP Diet, please call our Dietetics Department on 020 7234 2282"     Ring them and ask what they do.

The other place is Guy and St Thomas hospital    Again I expect they woulod want to confirm any diagnosis before they start so Google the name and ring them up.

London Bridge is private so dont forget to ask about your costs

I have RLS which I think is related to IBS and the FODMAP diet has worked wonders BUT follow it exactly or it doesn't work (for me anyway)     They say that its effective was 76% of their first 50 IBS cases they treated.   Sounds worth following up.

At least you can get a reliable disgnosis and you might have something else that they can cure.

Good Luck

Graham

• Posted

Thanks for that info graham. I will look into that. I did the fodmap for 2 months and was extremely strict. But it didn't work. Helped with some symptoms but not others. I don't know why but I think I've something else not just standard ibs. It just appeared 18 months ago and everyone says diet should help and never does. I'll look into these. Thanks
  • Posted

You might just be one of the 24% the diet wont help but perhaps they can direct you to someone who can at least come up with a convincing reason.  I wish I could be more help.  I know how hard it is when the doctors seem to be fobbing you off.   In many cases it probably hurts them to admit to themselves that they can't work out what's wrong.   At the big hospitals you have a better chance of finding someone who has seen it before.

Keep pushing them to try harder.

Graham

• Posted

Thanks graham for that. Your right big hospitals might be way to go.
  • Posted

I've many times had quite a range of gut symptoms that cause the bloating, pains and somewhat irregular elimination.

The only thing that has ever worked for me was to fast for about 36 hours.

One additional benefit to my symptoms going away completely was a restoration of moderation to my appetite for food, particularly sweets, so the benefits seem to be maintained for some time before any new episode of gut distress returns.

• Posted

What did you live on. Was it like absolutely nothing for 36 hours.
    • Posted

Just water for the first 5 waking hours, then 4oz of juice every few hours as needed (only as needed) along with the water.

I really feel the metabolism kicking in during the first day, as a new equillibrium kicks in.  Some feeling of warmth intermittently as the metabolism finds a new operating point, and a sense of heightened alertness that seems to come and go.

At some point, the fasting becomes very relaxing as compared to the normal, well-fed state, and it seems like I could sustain it for days if needed (something I did once to eliminate a food-poisoning bug).

I'll fast untill all symptoms/discomforts abate, then for an extra 12 hours, at which point all bloating symptoms and spastic elimination are long gone.

As I said, when my eating returns, my appetite seems calmed (especially for sweets), which I always find somewhat surprising.

Restaurant-food bugs can linger for days if I don't do a fast, but fortunately not needed for this reason very often.

• Posted

I am in South Africa and twenty years ago I stopped drinking milk and eating ALL dairy products.  My bloating and gas reduced within the month. About five years ago I started similar symptoms and have started checking labels on processed food.  So far the common ingredients which cause bloating and indigestion are saccharin, palm fat oil and many preservatives.  Basically, I have resorted to fresh non processed foods. Various fruits, such as apples and pears give me bloating and diarrhoea so I devised my own exclusion diet, starting with 4 fruit that I like, then adding one different food, such as potatoes, rice, pasta, meats, etc, eventually building up the only foods I can eat.  I steer clear of heavy spicy food and again added different herbs to my bland diet.  

Maybe this will help without drugs.

• Posted

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I have tried all this. I have up dairy for a few months with a doctor and nothing. Currently I only drink almond or lactose free milk. I'm off processed foods since jan. that's why I really think it's something else. Since January I've never eaten so well. Just nuts meat, fish, chicken, fruit and veg. I currently added in gf oats and rice. I'm finally been tested for parasites and bacteria next so I will see how that goes.
    • Posted

Hi

I was just checked for parasites nothing was found . However I have to repeat the test. It is quite a nuissance. Don't eben know why.Hope you find answers

Soon.

Vivian

• Posted

Hi Vivian

I dont want to be an obssesive advertisement for FODMAP diets but.....

You mentioned that you were on a strict diet and only eat cooked cereal.   Well cooking cereal doesnt help if you are sensitive to one of the FODMAP carbohydrates contained in it.   I thought I was eating well with an apple a day but then discovered that apples are not allowed.   There are quite a few not-alloweds that you wouldn't expect  -  pears onion garlic, stone friuit and others.  Unless you have a list of banned foods then you just wouldnt expect these to be a problem. 

I have a problem with lactose and others.   Even sucrose in a large and sickly meringue seems to upset me and sucrose is supposed to be safe but in reasonable amounts I suppose.     (I love meringues)  

I suggest you get the official details of the FODMAP diet and give it another go.   Just in case it works for you.   It can take a few weeks to work although I have known a few people with RLS who found relief after only one day on the FODMAP diet.

Cheers and good luck.

• Posted

Hi Graham

What do you think of spelt bread? It is in the fodmap. Maybe I didn't give the diet enough time. Don'r know😕

Vivian

• Posted

Monash University site has a blog on Spelt products.  I can't put a web address up on this forum without it being checked by the moderator and that takes his/her time and delays you getting an answer.  So if yoiu are happy to use google then search for monash   fodmap   spelt.

If google fails then let me know and we can do it the slow way.

Basically spelt bread needs to be real sourdough so its better to go for gluten free bread made from wheat free flour.

When I buy some gluten free bread I celebrate by eating too much of it and I get some symptoms back so I've cut out GF bread at home.   I'll eat a GF bread sandwich or eggs on toast at a resturant though.

let me know if you have trouble finding spelt at Monash

• Posted

Hi Vivian

I have replied and the reply is being moderated so it might be a day until you see it.

• Posted

In summsry

spelt has to be cooked in the traditional way as sourdough or it is possibly high in fodmaps.    They suggest that bread cooked with rice or potato flour is definately low fodmap so id safe to eat (in moderation in my experience)

Cheers

Graham

• Posted

Thanks Gragam

This is looking more like diverticulitis to me as much as it feels like IBS. There is no other explanation. Everything else was ruled out.

By the way I have both IBS and diverticulosis.

Plus severe anxiety.

Vivian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.