Sex after a hip replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, 

i hope this topic is ok to bring up on this forum! 

I am having trouble finding any information online about this. 

I had a THR four weeks ago. Prior to my hip replacement I had a LOT of pain having sex. I’m a 48 year old female and the only position we could manage in the end was spoons with my leg slightly raised and even then that was painful. 

Im hoping that once all my muscles around my new hip have healed that I will again be able to flex my hip enough to at least do the missionary position again! At the moment my hip doesn’t feel any more flexible than it did before and I’m wondering if this is because the muscles have become tight through not flexing them all those years before my hip replacement and whether once I’m healed up if I’ll be able do exercises to lengthen those muscles in order to be able to enjoy a sex life again!! 

I know this is early days, but it’s been bugging me and as I’m not able to test my theory out yet as it’s still too painful and early days,  I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the subject. 

Thanks. 

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Plenty of info out there

Try Rocketmans website

Google sex positions after THR plenty of diagrams

The hospital gave me a leaflet at the pre op education session. Ask if you did not get one. 

Yes you will be stiff for a while, the average wait seems to be 4-6 weeks. You could always ask at post op appointment

• Posted

Hi Maggie, 

thanks K’s for your reply, I have found the ‘positions’ online thanks and I will talk to my consultant at my 6 week check, but I was more interested in how people who’ve had a hip replacement have got on afterwards and whether they found things better, easier, more flexible/better range of motion. 

• Posted

Very much so. Both hubby and I have had a RTHR, Both much more mobile than before
  • Posted

Hi it's great that your feeling well enough to even consider it LOL I would definitely ask when you have your post op appointment, better to be safe and know what's the time scale is and as you say nothing wrong with 🥄 ing but a change is as good as a rest

• Posted

Hi Alexandria, 

Thanks for your reply. Im not really quite there yet, lol, but as It was such a problem for me beforehand, I was hoping for improvement afterwards. I was hoping someone on this forum could give me their first hand experience after their hip replacement. 

• Posted

Hi

I have a LTHR next Thursday and I'll be more than happy if I'm stiff for a while post op lol. Seriously though the information I have is that you have to wait 6 to 8 weeks, but here's hoping you get back to normal soon.

• Posted

LOL, Philip! Mine was my left hip too. Good luck with yours and hopefully a quick return to ‘normal’ activities ASAP!! 
  • Posted

I lasted about a week after getting out of hospital. Couldn't go without any longer. I still find it extremely uncomfortable. My hip won't do what I want it to and the pain is crazy.

• Posted

LOL, Karl. That was a bit too soon I think. How many weeks post op are you now? I know we have to give these things time and I am making slow, but steady progress and I’m sure two more weeks can make all the difference with this sort of recovery but I suppose it’s the unknown that I hate. 

Good luck with your recovery. 

Emma. 

• Posted

Are you having any physiotherapy I was given exercises in hospital but am now seeing my own physio just for some extra help. Once the swelling goes down and your muscle heal I am sure you will start to see more movement in your hip. I am scared of dislocation so haven’t moved mine around to much yet. I am three and a half weeks post op. We were restricted pre op position wise mostly to side lying. I have mostly been sleeping alone post op as I get up a lot at night to change position and bathroom stops and want my husband to get a good nights sleep, but starting to feel a bit lonely and want life to get back to normal. I was given a brochure which had safe positions for sex post op for both males and females, you should of been given something especially as you are so young. Hope all goes well
    • Posted

Hi Bridget, 

Thanks for your reply. We’re at about the same stage. Im 4 weeks 2 days and am still sore, especially mornings and evenings. Im doing all the exercises they suggest and I go for a short walk up my road and back every day. Ive seen the ‘positions’ online but I just wanted to chat to someone who’s been through it and can tell me how they got on. 

Good luck with your recovery. 

Emma. 

• Posted

Hi Jane-

Yes, the topic is raised regularly and you should get some good feed back from the folks here.  I haven't had the surgery yet so I can't answer from experience but have found information on line on the subject.  Someone here will likely be able to provide a link.  After all- it's one of the human experiences we all want to be able to enjoy- so there will be someone answering that will have more insight.  Meantime- try a google search, the info is out there.  Best wishes.

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim, 

Thanks fir your reply. I did google it but couldn’t find the information I was looking for. I was hoping a woman could tell me her experience after her hip replacement. 

Emma. 

• Posted

Good morning to you OK I can help you with this topic I had a double hip replacement and a double knee replacement and now when it comes to sex it is very painful I did my hip surgery 18 months ago and I am still in a lot of pain the muscles still have not healed when I try to have sex it puts my husband of because of the noise so it do get better I have tried to keep having sex but I spoke to my doctor about the noise I had a MMR and it shows the muscles have not healed yet I can't walk very well with out pain but it will get better hope this will help you

• Posted

Hi Sharon, 

Oh no, that sounds terrible. Is the noise coming from your hip joint? 

Immediately after having the op, did you get up and about quickly or were you not able to do much for quite a while? 

Ive read mixed advice and being mobile too soon and it doing more damage than good! I can’t decide if I’m doing too much or whether I’m just on track but expecting too much too soon. 

I hope your pain starts to ease soon, are you still doing the exercises they recommend? 

Emma 

• Posted

If I send you my number I would like to talk you through this if you don't mind I want to talk to you about the mistakes I made made me talking about it to you I can qide you to do it the right way I am a radio station talk host I talk to a lot of people about this and it is a great topic and thank you so much for stating the topic it is hard when you think you are on your own yes I got up to soon and yes the noise is from the hip joints and it sound bad when it come to making love my husband here the noise he thinks he is hurting me but he is not I feel the pain a lot in my bottom and my pelvis it is very painful so today I am having it looked at to see if there is anything they can do

• Posted

Hi ems. The advice I got was to get up and get moving as much as possible. Didn't think to research whether this was right or not my surgeon told me to so why wouldn't I. I was up and moving within 12 hours after begging them to take the iv out as the morphine was doing nothing for the pain, don't see the point in drugs if they don't work. I was walking round the hospital and outside for air the following day and was told very good keep it up. 2nd day in was up and down stairs on a single crutch and sent home that afternoon. Sex is very painful in certain positions and in few instances it felt like my hip was moving out of joint and back in again. Have you experienced this at all. I have been told that this can happen after a few years of having the implant but not from day one pretty much.

• Posted

How long ago did you have your hip replacement?  Maybe you’ve overdone it a bit? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.