Sex after a hip replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, 

i hope this topic is ok to bring up on this forum! 

I am having trouble finding any information online about this. 

I had a THR four weeks ago. Prior to my hip replacement I had a LOT of pain having sex. I’m a 48 year old female and the only position we could manage in the end was spoons with my leg slightly raised and even then that was painful. 

Im hoping that once all my muscles around my new hip have healed that I will again be able to flex my hip enough to at least do the missionary position again! At the moment my hip doesn’t feel any more flexible than it did before and I’m wondering if this is because the muscles have become tight through not flexing them all those years before my hip replacement and whether once I’m healed up if I’ll be able do exercises to lengthen those muscles in order to be able to enjoy a sex life again!! 

I know this is early days, but it’s been bugging me and as I’m not able to test my theory out yet as it’s still too painful and early days,  I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the subject. 

Thanks. 

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

oh my......it took me 2 years before I could comfortably have sex in a bed...... did your surgeon clear you for sex??....... your muscles need to recover...... if you MUST have sex..... in a swimming pool worked for me! lol.... probably should not admit to this.... but in the pool was what I did after 6 months of no sex.....  good luck to you as having orgasms helps with stress and pain......biggrin
    • Posted

Hi Erela, 

Thanks for your reply.  My booklet from the hospital says have sex when you feel comfortable. Obviously I’m not at that point yet lol. Would you say you can have sex comfortably now or are you still finding it painful at times and are you restricted to certain positions? I don’t mind if it takes a while, I just want to know if it gets to the point where it isn’t painful in the end. Ideally I’d like to know that I’m going to be more flexible than I was before! 

• Posted

I cannot say that it has ever been comfortable following my total right hip replacement..... I have to be so careful not to dislocate....... but my hip is 32 years old.... broken and worn out....... so I am in a much different situation..... I have many many friends that have THR and have revealed in the joys of sex once they were healed....... 3 to 6 months, and they brag about the range of motion and claim that they have better sex now! lol ....

in the water was my favorite...... but the chair position was the first position the doctor told me of as he handed me a pamphlet with numerous positions to try.......  there is lots of info on you tube believe it or not....... take care..... and remember..... sex is not just "penetration"...... not meaning to be offensive or rude......  

• Posted

Hi Erela, 

Wow, I can’t believe your hip has lasted for 32 years! 

Thanks for the reassurance. I’m doing all the stretching exercises and I feel small improvements every day. Hopefully I’ll get there in the end. Sex was so painful beforehand, so hopefully it will feel better once I’m healed. 

Emma. 

• Posted

Hi. My the is 32 years old too. Sex is no problem at all. I have really good mobility and strength luckily. I do think being very young at time of op must help in healing fully and recovering muscle tone.

• Posted

Hi Donnamarie, 

That is so great to hear, thank you! 

Hopefully I’ll be the same 😃

Emma

• Posted

Hi, I felt the need to answer your question. At 8 weeks we had careful sex. I found that you on top may actually be more comfortable than missionary. I’m now at 4 months post-op and sex is comfortable however we do it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.