SEX after a hysterectomy ?!?!??!?!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ok.... so who out there can tell me WHEN you actualy tried after your hysterectomy.

I am at 7 weeks now...

And... did you have any different feelings???  Any pain?? Discomfort??

Sex drive same, different, better, worse!?!?!

Shout out ladies... be honest!

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I must admit I have not had the urge to as of yet, good job my fella is patient lol

Tho I have noticed sometimes I get the odd frizzle of excitment when we snuggle or kiss, redfacelol

There thats me being honestsmile

• Posted

YES...that's exactly how I am feeling!!!!

NOT even a thought, but I am  enjoying the "snuggle"... that's enough for me right now.

Glad to hear I"m not alone smile

• Posted

This is kinda my worry ..im due to go in the 9th .for tah .leaving ovaries. And actually bricking the whole thing .ny friend has been answering. All my questions about the whole thing who had hers Last year ..same procedure as I'm having ..she said her sex life hasn't changed at all get exactly the same feelings as she has before etc etc ..another friend has said the same and although. She had same op had different. Problems that she wasn't aware. Of during op .and still has a fantastic sex life tbh on sitting right on the edge of this whole. Op situation atm .and could easily change my mind atm the way im feeling x
    • Posted

denise, May I ask why you unsure about the op? what are your concerns? Can we help you allay them ?
    • Posted

Well where shall I start ...i have no periods atm as I have now got the mirena coil and has helped with that side of things ..i have a large 10cm fibroid and smaller ones and some cysts ..i get pressure on the bladder and bowel so have to wear a pad 24/7 just in case I leak which isn't always ..and find myself needing to go to the loo after I eat as pressure on the bowel I.get discomfort. Sometimes when I have sex. .obviously. There is a lot going on in there so I know its all connected..however. Although. I could do with shedding. A couple if stone I dint have a problem. With coping with day to day life work ./shopping etc at all..my concern is long term possibilities that are possible if I end up with some of the side effects possible ..bladder /bowel damage ..nerve problems the list goes on when you tea up the pros and cons ..which we shouldn't. Read but we do ..i don't want to feel that I have put myself in a worse position. Than in in ..hope this all makes sense ..pre-admission. Appointment. Tuesday so have to make my choice x
    • Posted

Hi Denise, you have pretty much just described me to a tee, I am also having thoughts of "Do I really need to go through with this". I'm due for a TAH retaining ovaries on 29th Jan for a 9cm fibroid with a 'few' smaller ones, I get all the other symptoms you have described. Plus as I tried the mirena coil a few years ago and I bled for 6 months straight I had to give up on that so I aslo suffer with the bleeding; mid term/ovulation bleed and very heavy bleeding/flooding during ladies week, the only thing I don't get is the bladder leakage (well very rarely, though it is starting to become more often) but this is only because I had BIG problems with that some years ago and had to have a TVT tape fitted (best health related decision of my life so far).....we'll hold hands and get through this together xx
    • Posted

When I said all of this to a friend of mine that had already gone through the op for endemetrosis, her answer was "Well they (the consultant etc) must think that you need it because there is no way they would offer it you if you didn't" - I'm kinda holding on to that thought and also thinking "yeah I might be 'ok' now but what if things get worse and I have to go through all of this (the examinations, scan, appointments etc and the build up) all over again in the future"...
    • Posted

Denise we all make the mistake of googling or reading up on our procedures and scaring ourselves. I am, in the words of a nasty nurse, on my ward, a bariatric patient, She was the only one who treated me as a piece of dirt, and I survived the operation and yes you do have to sign a consent saying you understand the possible risks involved but that is all it is "a risk", because everything is so close together there.  I was on a ward of 8 and only 1 of us had a complication so that is 1 in 8 and that was resolved. 

Hunni Please think hard weigh the pros and cons up again. Speak to others on here or amongst your friends.  I was given no choice, my op was booked when I saw my consultant, but I would do it for my health......Think on and ask more if you need too.It is your decision please let me know your decision and good luck x

• Posted

Its such a big big decision. To make ..but obviously its a problem. To a degree otherwise. I wouldn't. Have gone to this degree in the beginning..but you deal / get in with it best you can atm I'm feeling ok and not having too many problems.with it at all ..im feeling quite good atm ..do I cancel then it all start up again and have that wait again. Situation with possible worse symptoms Or. Just get on and do it ...i don't have any bleeding and haven't for months so I'm possibly. In a better place than some whose life are being ruined by it x
    • Posted

How long ago did you have yours . And how are you feeling ...has your life changed etc etc or is EVERYTHING as it was or better now for you xx
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing Denise.... I hope everything goes welll for you!

Yoc an do it girl!  Come back and let us know how you are!!!!!

• Posted

Nov 11th so nearly 8 weeks at the moment I am feeling  a bit better every day and at the moment everything is the same but I am sure they will get better
    • Posted

Denise..

I too had the large fibroid..mine was a lil' over 4 lbs...

The operation was over 2 hours... 2 dr.s were in there moving things around, takkng things out... it was SO NECESSARY!!

I had the pressure ont he bowels & bladder.. I too was wearing a pad DAILY... and changing them too!

Yes, you can move around doing your daily things, but I had discomfort.

I read a LOT on the procedure, and saw the Utube video of what they do...

YES... there is a chance of bowel/bladder damage.. but my dr. told me it's IF you don't empty your bladder!!!!!!!!!!  You MUST do that drink thing day prior, it has to clean you out!!!!!  She told me the more left in, it's harder for the procedure... I actually did NOT eat whole foods day before... I could have, up until 2:00 p.m. that afternoon (procedure was next a.m) I only did fluids... I think that helped me a LOT!  Dr. told me I was empty, perfect!

I will tell you now... NO PADS... I am fine!  The op helped me!  Now it's healing time, but I can deal with that!

YOu will see... it WILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL help you in the long run!!!

We are here foryou!!!!

Mary smile

• Posted

Luckymum..

I had that Mirena too!  Can I tell you... I left it in TOOOOO long (avoided the dr. a few years) I had to go to a chiropractor after someone hit me in my car.. the xray showed that thing WAY OFF, LIKE ON THE SIDE OF MY HIP in the picture... you could see it!

Went to the gyno... she could not get it!  It was GONE... that had to come out too!  It was in the lining, attached... I saw there were tv commercials on that thing, and the damage it causes.. it's true! I am telling all my friends NOT to do the Mirena!

I think all the time leading up to the op is hard too... so many thoughts, worries... just prepare yourself for when you get home..

I made a makeshift bed downstairs for a while.  Got everying I needed by my area.. it helped.  There was no way I was doing up and down stairs right away.

Your gonna do fine girl!!!!!!!  Keep in touch!   smile  smile

• Posted

Nooooooooo... can't think ahead like that! 

Take one day at a time, one thing at a time.  If your body is in need of care, gosh... you best do it!  You hae to be patient though after... you need to heal.. I did not listen, took me longer... I stongly suggest listening to the dr. and REST, REST, REST...

Don't think of "WHAT IF"....  no WHAT IF's here... we take care of ourselves, no one else can!  You can do this ... I know you can smile

• Posted

I agree with Dee, Denise...

I did weigh the pros and cons... in the end...I had to take care of ME, for ME. 

Where I went .. they only do a hysterectomy on Monday... I had to wait for 2 months... they do them ALL THE TIME... in and out.. a.m. and p.m...

I figured... "well, they have to know what they are doing"...  and i asked a TON of questions... I met with all the dr's... I will telll you .. I remember going in the OP room, laying down, gown on, put arms out stretched on side arms exteding from table... and saw dr's faces... BOOM last thing I recall... when I woke up inrecovery, it felt like 15 min... It was 2.5 hours.

I was up and walking that evening in the hospital.. they encourage it to HEAL FASTER, and NO GAS BUILD-UP.  It hurt some (but you are on meds)... but you have to try!  I walked a LOT every day... doc said that was good for me, short times of course, then rest.

Keep asking questions.. remember..it's YOUR body.. you have to take care of it!    smile

• Posted

I had mine Nov. 11th.  And...I am going back to work TOMORROW!

I work at a Jr. High School, secretary.  So I have been out for 2 months.. mostly holiday break too (that helped give me some extra time).  I am nervous going back... I find if I sit TOO LONG in the same position I get a "side pain"... also when I drive for a while I feel it... I'm going to call my dr. tomororw and talk to her about that.

I had to use stool softners for a few weeks after the OP... it was TOOOO painful going to the bathroom.. the softners help!  I am ok now with that.. the only issues I have now are :  can't really side sleep yet, not comfortable, maybe because of the 22 staples I had.. it's a long incision.

Also, Those side pains if I sit TOO LONG in same position.

And I can't "stretch"... omg.. I like to stretch out when I wake up or lay down.. OMG... HURTS!  I can feel it right down the incision line.

Sneezing, coughing, laughing is ok now...

I do get tired some going up and down the stairs doing chores.. so I sit down inbetween some.

i  do not have any "urges" for SEX yet..but my hubby is "ok" right now.. we do snuggle, and that's enough.  I am worried about that part coming up.. wierd to think of that after going through so much.  But in time..

Am I glad I did the OP??? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

They took out a melon sized tumor, it was attached to uterus, ovary, took all of it out but one ovary, thank god!  Now I am not in menopause!

I am not "leaking" daily... I don't frequent the bathroom as much.. no pressure..

But I am still healing... I am "egg shaped", lol... they did so much work on the left side vs the right, lol... but she said it WILL come down, it's still swollen... and will take a good 6 months to settle..

I have accepted it!  My co-worker told me to "embrace my scar".. so I do feel it, it's part of me.. I think of before, the pads, yhe constant bathroom,  Iooked like I was 4 months pregnant.. I am glad that is DONE... now I move on!  I can't wait to excercise!  They said not yet, no sit ups, wieights.. not yet.. just walk... I will listien.. I have a goal.. and I am confident!

I know you will be too!  Listen to your body, listen to YOU!  smile smile

• Posted

Hi Denise, I am awaiting my hysterectomy, in February, I have an Over Active Bladder, which is detaching together with a cystocele which is pressing on my bladder.  You might find by trying to lose some of the weight it will be less pressure on your organs.  I am now down to 2 lbs below my target weight.  Dr advised this is the best weight for the op.  Also I have cut out sugar and wheat, and it is amazing what a dramatic impact this has had on my bladder.   I  used to go every 20 mins and now I go to the toilet just on the 3 hour mark.  Also my physiotherapist told me to get me feet up for an hour mid day, which helps with the pressure a lot.  If you get all this in place it will help with your recovery, I know it is asking an awful lot but I am so pleased with the results just need the op to repair everything and I should be 100% again.  Good luck Denise. 
    • Posted

11th Nov for me but because I do heavy lifting I am signed off til mid Feb and it is wonderful to be free of the horrible stuff beforehand as well as the Cancer 
    • Posted

OH .. that's a good thing... LIFTING!??! no way dee!!!

I notice I have some trouble with multiple grocery bags.. I can feel it in my lower abdomin..

Rest up girl!

I hope you make a complete recovery Dee!!!!!  You can do it!!!!   smile

• Posted

Omg ..dee and there's me barking off about going in I admire you ..i to do heavy lifting in my day job so I cant see me rushing off back to work any time soon I am going to rest ..i also do party plan in evenings as well and been really busy with that ..so I going to rest rest rest ..if I can ..dont do too good doin nowt lol xx
    • Posted

Thanks Denise....dont feel bad I am a fighter and a survivor and this was just another fight to fight and I did....Do not worry about barking off thats why we are all here to help each other....Let me know what you decide and good luck <3>
    • Posted

Only you can make your decision, you know how you feel and how your life is affected by your fibroids. Atm I'm thinking I will go through with it all, no I don't want to, but in life we all have to do things we don't want to, so I'm giving myself a kick up the bum and trying to focus on the positives that I hope will come from the operation. Good luck in making your choice, I hope you make the right one for you xx
    • Posted

Thanks for your support Mintdream, I'm so glad that things have massively improved for you. Yes those Mirena things are a bit rogue if you ask me but I know there are a lot of women that have great results with them x
    • Posted

Ps. good luck when you go back to work tomorrow...I think I will be off for a while as in my job I have to push other people around in wheelchairs, sometimes they are heavy or are in heavy electric wheelchairs which we have to switch off and push manually. I also do quite a lot of driving in my job too. x
    • Posted

YW Luckymum... yes I am happy I am NOT back where I was 8 weeks ago.

I know.. Mirena can be a wonderful thing with no complications for some... as in anything... sometimes it "doesn't" sad

• Posted

OH THANK YOU!   I AM SOOOO NERVOUS, LOL.. BEEN THERE 8 YRS, BUT I HAVE BEEN OUT 2 MONTHS sad

I AM WORRIED SITTING FOR 7 HOURS... I KNOW I GET SORE ON MY LEFT SIDE..I HAVE TO TRY AND GET UP NOW AND THEN... JUST SUCH A BUSY JOB.  WELL... I WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW HOW MY FIRST DAY BACK IS ...

IF YOU AR DOING MORE PHYSICAL WORK, WITH PEOPLE... YOU NEED MORE TIME INDEED!  NOOOOOOOO RUSH!  CANT TAKE CAREOF OTHERS UNTIL YOU TAKE CARE OF Y-O-U  smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.