sex after cyst removal

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi. I'm 42 and had a suburethral/bartholins cyst removed a week ago. It was causing pain urinating and during intercourse and wouldn't go with antibiotics. Finally plucked up the courage to 'investigate' in the bath today. The whole area feels hard and I still have pain on sitting. Having read other comments, and although I have gone back to work as my dr said a week for recovery, I gather it probably takes much longer to be back to normal. My main query is, for those who have had it done, has it affected your arousal long term?My lovely hubby has been spoiling me since the op and is certainly not fussing about when I will be up to it, but it's more my own pleasure I'm concerned about. I normally still have a pretty good sex drive and don't want to suddenly lose all enjoyment at a still relatively young age. Please be honest in your experience-I am getting really stressed out by this.

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Ok so here at exactly 6 weeks since surgery and still have urethral pain and lack of normal sensations. Saw doctor today who told me that while from a surgical perspective all is doing well, as this kind of surgery may affect nerve endings etc it can in reality take much longer. Would have been nice if someone had told me this to begin with!

One thing they did recommend is starting pelvic floor exercises, gently at first. Am not saying this is right for everyone dependant on pain etc but she did say it may help things get back to normal more quickly, although it's always best to check with your doctor this is the way to go.

I will keep updating as I go!

PS The amitryptaline just made me need the loo all day so that was a no go...

• Posted

So eight weeks post surgery. Still in pain. My gyno says I have urethral syndrome and has prescribed really strong medication, which lowered my blood pressure so I had to stop it. I am currently trying acupuncture and a low oxalate/bladder friendly diet.Still unable to have any intimacy and not pleased, but intend to keep updating so at least if I do find an answer to my problem I can share info. I have an odd feeling the original cyst location is swollen again, but will not rush to mention this to my gyno.as I don't want surgery AGAIN!
    • Posted

From what I can tell, you're the only one on here who seems to have the same problem I have, which is a Skene Gland Cyst.  I'm sorry to hear of your suffering and I'm suffering as well.  I tried having it lanced twice and once having a ward catheter put it but that didn't work.  I've avoided sex but it's still swollen.  I've had this issue for 1.5 years now.  Would you recommend to get the gland removed or to get it marsupilized (a hole put in it)? And how are you doing now?  Thank you in advance for your advice sister! xoxo

• Posted

Hi,

I just had the bartholin gland excision surgery...if only I would have known before, and if only I would've read ur posts , etc...

Please update us on how r u feeling....

Pleasee

And thank u...

• Posted

Hi My Name is lacie. I am 25 years old about a month ago I was shaving my vagina area and noticed a lump the size of a marble. When I was 18 I had a miscarriage and at age 22 I found out I had PCOS (Polysistic Ovarian Syndrome) which means you don't ovulate. So when I noticed the lump I freaked I just assumed the worst, a tumor??? So I went to my ob. She said I had a bartholin cyst but I had no pain or discomfort not even with sex. She had also said it was draining and it should go away.

A month later I noticed tenderness on my outer vagina. I rubbed to find the same cyst. But this time it was larger and more painful. I could not even have intercorse. After 3 days of pain and not being able to sit I went to the emergency room. They lanced the cyst where it was already draining from. Then placed a small cathidor in it that tucks into my cervix. It is extremely painful. It's day 3 and I can't sit or lay with out crying. I had a lot of blood first day but none no more. They said I have to keep cathidor in for 3 weeks or until it falls out by itself but it can always come back. I'm so sad because I can't have sex at all and I am scared to masturbate. I will let y'all know my progress, women need to be more informed on this!

• Posted

Hi, I'm Jessica 23 years old. I've had ovarian cysts from the beginning of my menstrual cycles.

October 2015- cyst #1- I had trouble sitting and In pain. Got worse but then was Friday night so I could not see my gyro to Monday. Went to the emergency room for them to tell me it's a Bartholine Cyst and it's absessed and to go home with meds and wait for it to naturally drain because that's the best way.... Saturday around 11pm it burst. I felt immediately better. Saw my doctor Monday she couldn't even see where it was.

January 2016-Cyst #2- felt the same pain, new immediately it was the Bartholin Cyst again so went to my gyro 2 days later. She looked at it. Asked if I could try to let it drain naturally again. I said no way! So she said I have to get it lanced in the office that day because it definitely was absessed. So I agreed to do it.... DO NOT EVER AGREE TO IT!!!... it's beyond painfull, screaming pain. Yes after its done you feel relief. But believe me please. It was not worth it!

February 2016-Cyst #3- felt the pain. Went to Gyno next day. She said it was a Bartholine Cyst again an it looked a little absessed but not to bad. Just wait a couple more days it may go down. 2 days later went back in. She said she has to remove it again there in the office. I agree...... she went to do it and I was crying like a little baby I was so petrified of what I already experienced that I was begging them not to do it! So she looked at it more and said she thinks it a different cyst and she couldn't get to it so I needed to have it done at the hospital and they could put me under for it..... so obviously..YES!!! Well I had to wait another 2 days. Went in at 6:30am they put you out with family still with ya. I woke up around 10:30 not even realising it was done. Was in burning pain because they kept gauze in there to help drain. Left the hospital at 1:30. Theyou told me it was actually a Vulvar Cyst and that there was no way I could have done it in the office and that I really should have had the last one done in the hospital. I was suppose to go back to work in 2 days. I wasn't OK for about 4 days and it's because the gauze was pinching pain that I took it out (doc said that was OK to do if it didn't just fall out)

SO now 2 weeks later petrified to have sex to the point where I'm no longer turned on. I took a mirror to down there and literally have a hole...... don't know how that's going to work but overall scared, depressed, and upset. OH and I'm on birth control... my advice iso if your on it STAY ON IT! Your periods and pads will be very uncomfortable and can irritate it and cause more issues.

Sorry this was so long but it's nice to know I'm not alone here and I hope someone can get back with any other knowledge because I can't seem to find anything about Vulvar cysts...just cancer...so please anyone with anything about cysts down there please share <3 goodluck girls

goodluck="" girls="">

>

• Posted

Yes that is just horrible I am sorry to hear u are going through such difficulties. I myself have not had a full abscess come.back since the gland was reopened. I do have a whole now the size of a pea on the inner lips of my vagina. You just have to keep it clean and be careful not to get any thing large enough to clog it up like toilet paper. I take baths 2-3 times a week to make sure the gland has time to clean out because it has to be cleaned to. I have no idea about the other abscess you had and I had mine cut open at er and had a catheter in for 6 weeks. I was scared to have sex but now it's no issue I have to use lab because the gland no longer produces enough fluid for inter corse. Feel free to message me if I can help I will.
    • Posted

Hey, just read your reply and I wanted to say that I feel the exact same way! It sucks and do you know how long you're supposed to have that hole? After word catheter was removed. I have it to and it makes me depressed. And I wear panty liners because it drains often. I hate it so much. And as far as sex goes I haven't had it since the hole I'm scared and feel weird and uncomfortable. And one more question..what about fore play? Sorry if inappropriate but just curious
    • Posted

Ive had 2 bartholin cysts occur which im healing from my second one now but no catheter...they just sliced it and drained it sad

I was thinking of removing my gland but will that keep my vagina dry during sex ?

• Posted

Hi I'm 23 yrs old, it's been four years since I have been having this Bartholin cyst. It came up at first when I moved in with my fiancé, I noticed a swelling at the top right corner of my pubic area, after two days I felt swelling on my lybia followed by pain went to the doctors and the lanced it after which the gyno told me it was caused by and std {I was upset with my fiancé for weeks} however about 3 months after it came back I was so scared to go back through all the pain again so they decided to put me to sleep and do a surgery to examine if it could have been a vulvar cyst. It didn't reoccur until 6 months time. Since then for three years it has been coming back every 3 or 6 months I have only had the option for it to be lanced in the doctors office. I just had one yesterday after gathering the courage to go to the ER it popped on its own after which my gyno finished squeezing out whatever was left inside I now have a small hole pain isn't that bad. But I'm terrified as to why this keeps on coming back and it's so painful. 😰

• Posted

Hi!!! I know you posted this 8 months ago but I'm hoping you see my comment! I've had the exact same experience as you with abscesses! I was told it was bartholins to then be told it was vulval, I'm almost 2 weeks post op after having the 3rd one drained, it's quite tender down there but no really painful anymore, I know it's a personal question but how long after you're third one did you wait to have sex? I'm absolutely petrified if I have sex with my bf I'm going to get another one or be in pain, please comment back if you can Thankyou xx

• Posted

Hello, Im Missy and im 23 Ive had a BC on and off for almost 4 years now. My gyno told me it was rare but mainly comes when your pregnant. Which made sense because I was pregnant at the time. I had it lanced and drained when I was 7 months. WORST PAIN IN MY LIFE! Of course it came back, and bigger. Since i knew what it was ai figured I wouldn't go back to the gyno, I would just let it take its course. It burst 5 months after having it drained. It stayed away for almost a year, then out of no where came back. On my daughters 2nd birthday I had my 1st surgery on it. And it did absolutely nothing, no help what so ever. So for a year and a half after that I was in the er almost monthly having it drained. Even knowing how painful it is, I would have it done just to feel the relief. Now I am 9 days post-op from my 2nd surgery. Since the day of my surgery it has been draining daily. Just a little here and a little there. Hoping that it'll stay away this time.

• Posted

Ive had 2 BC and never been pregnant but im not sure if squirting had to do anything with it? I usually am overly wet and squirt out during intercourse...did i over use my gland?
  • Posted

Hello, i recently had a BC removal done 4 days ago. I didnt have pain during intercourse but i did notice that my labia was swollen and over a couple days it got so big that it covered the opening of my vagina, so of course i ran to the ER where they drained it and inserted this drainage tube. Its been 4 days since the surgery and the swelling has went all the way down, i only experience mild discomfort when the tube moves in weird postions but other than that im feeling 70% already. Im scheduled to have the tube removed on Thursdays. They told me to keep it in for a week. They also gave me a antibotic called Sulfameth which caused an immediate allergic reaction (swelling all over my body little rashes) so i stopped taking them and have to go back to get another prescription for a difference antibotic. But as far as the BC i believe it is healing well. I can sit and lay comfortably jus the tube can be annoying. I take showers 2 to 3 times a day to clean the area and i spray it with bacteria spray. I have to wear panty liners because its still draining fluid not blood. I will write a update after i have the drain removed.. my prayers are with u all i know its difficult especially since the doctors only have limited info.. first i thought it was a STD (was going to kill my husband) but found out it has nothing to do with it.
    • Posted

Hey cass82082, I had my bartholins cyst removed about a year ago. It became huge and I had a hard time even walking. Had an amazing surgeon who didn't just slice and drain but removed the whole cyst and made sure everything was clear. Recovery for that sucked but about a couple months in I was back to normal. Nothing hurt, no returns, ands sex is amazing. Only side effect is because where they clog and developed is also where a woman natural lubrication comes from so I have to use a lube at times, otherwise my surgeon was amazing knew what she was doing saw it first had me in surgery by that afternoon. I wish everyone's story was as good of a turn around as mine, it just all depends on the Dr and surgeon. I'm glad it just wasn't cut and drained I'm glad my surgeon made sure to surgically remove it all. Good luck ladies isx keep fighting for the right Dr and if it keeps reoccurring definitely consider a complete removal, after they do send it to pathology just in case it was a marker for any other problems.

• Posted

Hi, Amy. I had an incision in Oct. I noticed a huge part of what used to be a lump got freed after the surgery. For a moment I felt really happy, but I also noticed that there was another lump, probably as big as a single pea. I really thought it was the balloon to help drain the liquid, but I've always been high in my sex drive. So, even tho i don't sleep with anyone, i pleasure myself a lot.

Today was the 4th day i masturbated and i came multiple times each play (I can masturbate 3x a day). Now my lump is swollen again and the joint area of my thigh occasionally feeling a dull pain. Also my clit is in pain bec of the inappropriate catheter installment during surgery.

I was asked by my doctor whether i wanted it drain or to have the gland removed. I chose draining method bec he said "the side effect of having the gland remove is eternal pain. Which means I'd have to suffer whole life if the gland was removed."

I'm only 29, single but I still plan on getting married one day. So, just wondering if removing the gland will make the lump go away forever and is it true about having the pain if it's completely removed? Thank you for sharing your experience! It seems like there's still not many experts know abt BC.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.