sex after cyst removal

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi. I'm 42 and had a suburethral/bartholins cyst removed a week ago. It was causing pain urinating and during intercourse and wouldn't go with antibiotics. Finally plucked up the courage to 'investigate' in the bath today. The whole area feels hard and I still have pain on sitting. Having read other comments, and although I have gone back to work as my dr said a week for recovery, I gather it probably takes much longer to be back to normal. My main query is, for those who have had it done, has it affected your arousal long term?My lovely hubby has been spoiling me since the op and is certainly not fussing about when I will be up to it, but it's more my own pleasure I'm concerned about. I normally still have a pretty good sex drive and don't want to suddenly lose all enjoyment at a still relatively young age. Please be honest in your experience-I am getting really stressed out by this.

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there im 26 and jst had my second bartholin cyst(small olive size) sliced and drained rolleyes my first one was way bigger like a golf ball size....oh and trust me you won't lose any sexual drive at all lol its more of trying to not have intercouse while you heal. Im still not sure the healing time but its been 2 days and i was able to walk out fine and pee normal it jyst feels a little itchy maybe because the cut is healing. Im on antibiotics too! But i felt immediately better after they cut and drained it!! It was horrible pain for one minute as they numbed it but then immidiate relief! Hope it doesn't happen again but now i know to clean very well and always pee after sex!

• Posted

Hi Nena1,

How long did you wait after surgery to have sex?

I am 12 days after my op and 6 days after stitches removal. I am loosing my mind here waiting for it to heal. We tried last night and it hurt too much. I felt really tight and stingy. Is that normal?

• Posted

Dia nena the minimal time of healing is two months
  • Posted

Anyone know about a vulvar cyst removal. I'm scheduled to have surgery to remove the gland that is causing me to get vulvar abscess. They are very painful. I have had them lanced in the dr. Office but that is one of the worse pains I've experienced in my life. I'm nervous to get surgery but these cyst keep coming back. What will sex be like after. How long is recovery? How painful will recovery be? I'm also scared to do nothing and it keep coming back bigger and more painful. If anyone has any info on this PLEASE message me. Everything I look up is on barthalin cyst or cancer. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi my name is ericka!

I have a couple of questions...I jst had a bartholin cyst removed about 4 weeks ago. They inserted a catheter. My Dr. Said he'll leave it in for about six weeks! Now me and my husband are regularly sexually active! And I have not had sex since the surgery...and I'm dying bcuz I can't have intercourse..so I was wondering if I can have sex while having the catheter in?? Or can I remove it my self to have sex?? Jst wanted to hear some of your ladies feedback! And awnsers! Advice is well appreciated..

• Posted

OK first I would say if you arnt trained in removing catheters I wouldn't do it yourself. You could hurt yourself cause more issues and more. I've seen patients rip them out and totally not a good idea. I would go to the Dr and see if shell remove it, if not ask why.sex would be uncomfoy and honestly I'd wait rather then damage myself further.

• Posted

Ive had it done 4 times, again yesterday. Hopefully the 4th will be the last time!

I have a big thing of gauze in there this time that is getting taken out tmrw, it should feel a lot better then.

Ive waited 6 weeks each time before having sex. Its hard to wait but its better to be all healed. Its such a delicate area.

Salt water baths are the best for healing.

Take care ladies smile

• Posted

I do agree with u ,salt water heals well,and taking metronidazole helps a lot,it's what I used and now it has never come back it's now 4years

• Posted

Hello jo017238

I am 37 years of age and I actually experianced a defferent side effect. My sex drive increased and my body definitely changed in my private area and it has made it more pleasurable. By now hopefully you have gained your pleasure back and have made a full recovery. My question to you is have your seen a big change in your lady area and if so, how?

• Posted

I had the surgery Dec 2015 and still find pain and discomfort to be a part of my sex life. Even after just arousal I get sore. Sat night was the first time I had sex and although I had to stop a few times due to lack of lubrication, it was overall a success. Some pain during and a little uncomfortable after, but usually its very tender the whole next day almost to the point where it feels swollen and abscessed. Did you have just the cyst, cyst and sac or the whole gland removed?
  • Posted

I had a Gartner cyst removed a few weeks ago then after a week at home I was rushed by ambulance to hospital as I stated bleeding heavily hemorrhaging blood and clots turned out to be a vessel from surgery site had collapsed and started bleeding was keep in for two days to recover this was a couple of weeks ago now all ok partner and are are still unable to have sex as it really hurts and makes me bleed just wondering how long it takes to be normal again I'm 37 hope this. Isn't the end for us sex wise😖😖

• Posted

Hi Jo no now you feel had a cyst removed a few weeks ago then was rushed back in a week later due to heavy hemorrhaging apparently surgery site

had collapsed leaving a vessel that wouldn't stop bleeding 😖 since then sex is too painful and it makes me bleed feel useless to my partner I just want to be a normal woman again 😢😢

• Posted

Hi I'm 35 and I've had 3 of these bartholin cysts removed first two was a cut and about 4 months later it came back the doctor put In a word catheter. I. So upset because when ever I seem to have sexual relationships it comes back this is the 4th time, I feel like a freak I don't want men to touch me in case they feel it. I've just met this lovely guy unlike any I've ever met, and although doesn't want to have sex untill the 3rd date I'm terrified of what he'll think if he feels this. And if I have surgery how long after till I can have sex, (if I have to wait then it's not fair to him) if I have this lanced is it so painful you can't have sex afterwards.

Doctors don't seem to know what causes this I have two different procedures but they always come back. Their is supposed to be a hole where the the tube was removed how is this happening again.

I'm so depressed, feeling like a freak, in sexy I'm gutted.

Can anyone tell me if lancing works and if you can have sex after please.

I'm sorry to go on about

• Posted

Just had my first incision and drainage a week ago. It was incredibly painful and I was shaking the entire time but was so grateful for it afterwards. I tried really hard to wait it out and have the Abscess burst on it's own but I couldn't walk or move without pain. It has been 6 days now and the wound is almost completely healed. The abscess grew to about the size of a golf ball but after it was lanced, it went down. Although there was still a noticeable firm lump there afterward, there was no pain. The lump has since subsided. It depends on each individual body but I think sex should not be a problem after lancing as long as you give it time to fully heal. For me, it took about a week. I would monitor though, to see if the cyst is brought on by sex. In my case, I noticed the cyst when I got my period so I am praying this is not hormonal. If it is something I get every month, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. 

Everyone's stories have helped. I hope some kind of pill/medication will be made soon to address this very specific issue. I think there's a lack of attention since it doesn't affect a large group of women as a whole. Good luck to us all.

• Posted

Hi I had a Gartner cyst removed in JulyI then had awful complications two weeks later my wound collapsed and a vessel started bleeding heavily i was rushed to hospital the bleeding wouldn't stop and I passed out due to heavy blood Ioss then i was hospitalised for two days to recover on a drip also I also was given a blood transfusion 😩 I am still finding sex painful with my oh and it has really spoilt the feelings. Sex wise I regret ever having this cyst removed😭😢

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.