sex after cyst removal

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi. I'm 42 and had a suburethral/bartholins cyst removed a week ago. It was causing pain urinating and during intercourse and wouldn't go with antibiotics. Finally plucked up the courage to 'investigate' in the bath today. The whole area feels hard and I still have pain on sitting. Having read other comments, and although I have gone back to work as my dr said a week for recovery, I gather it probably takes much longer to be back to normal. My main query is, for those who have had it done, has it affected your arousal long term?My lovely hubby has been spoiling me since the op and is certainly not fussing about when I will be up to it, but it's more my own pleasure I'm concerned about. I normally still have a pretty good sex drive and don't want to suddenly lose all enjoyment at a still relatively young age. Please be honest in your experience-I am getting really stressed out by this.

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Can anyone help me, i had a bartholin cyst some years ago I went to my doctor and he removed it, a couple yrs later it came back even bigger my doctor removed it last month I've been married 7 months and it's been affecting my sex life. After having it removed in August I started to have sex again and the gland has swollen yet again can anyone tell me what could b the cause if this pls I'm on 29yrs

• Posted

I never had surgery on my abscess, but it did take over a year for my cyst to completely heal.  I definitely had to cut back on sex, but after a year of healing, and MAGIC TEA, I am back to a normal sex life.

TEA:

2 tablespoons of yarrow

1 tablespoon of nettle 

1 tablespoon of marigold 

-Boil full pot of water.

-Sprinkle herbs into pot, reduce to simmer.

-Let simmer for 20 minutes 

-Drain tea, remove herbs

-Drink full pot of tea throughout the day. -Repeat for a few days in a row (I noticed my cyst completely shrunk after 2 days) 

-Repeat as necessary, especially after triggers

Again, this was a year after my abscess, but I was still becoming very enlarged and inflamed every time after sex.  Since introducing this tea into my life (I now drink it once every 6 weeks or so just for maintenance) I have had no issues with my cyst.  My sex life is back to normal.  Again, this took over a year though.  My libido took a while to return after the abscess.  I think because the issue is so intertwined with physicality, sexuality, and mentality--it takes a while to be comfortable being sexual again.  

I would recommend having your hormones checked.  I have hypothyroidism, and during the year of my cyst arrived, my thyroid levels were all over--which definitely effected my libido. 

Definitely give your mind and body time to recover.  Focus on healing yourself, and your sexual self should come back.

I recommend discussing all of this with a therapist if it is really bothering you.  A professional may have some alternative strategies. 

• Posted

Reading all the comments here I hope everyone is feeling better!

I have been having bartholyn cyst on and off since 2006. Had it opened up and drained, just fluid taken off by needle and last time word catheter 2weeks ago. I managed to reduce it and prevent flare up with salt bath, clove oil, vinegar and horsetail tablets once. This combo stopped infection when I felt cyst cyst was growing. I hate that pain!! Few months later, I had sex and it got infected soon after. I was told in gynae shaving is one of the main cause! The lab results showed skin bacteria overgrowth so shaving does make sense. I will throw away blades after one use and take tea tree oil salty bath after intercourse in the future.

Hope this helps!

• Posted

I had my incision this Wednesday , catheter is in, cyst was size of a golf ball, now less and hard. Experience is very similar to yours. I wonder when I can have sex after catheter will be removed and how long it will take for healing. It came up as my period started but I am premenopausal I think.
  • Posted

(I get kinda gross in my post)

Hey, I was just looking around as to what was going on with me....I am 25 I had the gland removed when I was 19 because I had had it lanced open 6 times when I was pregnant with my first and talk about painful!one time my gyno lanced it and it sprayed all down his drs coat it it was nasty the er nurse knew me by name (that's sad)

The one time the Dr in the er didn't know what she was doing...she didnt cut it deep enough and I thought it came out bc a little pressure released..but she just nicked it and sent me home... And for two days it was bleeding and filling it up on top of that was already in it. I couldn't even pee it burned I was in tears and could walk at all !!!! I was watching the drs and it just so happens they were talking about this and how you can have the whole gland removed.... So I did. But no one told me the after effects...like... Having sex would be painful, my left gland was taken... And it honestly feels like it is going to fill back up...it shoots pains all inside my vagina... And then let's talk about the no personal lube.... Ughhh... I haven't been sexually active in almost 3 years now. And I used to get off when I masterbated....but how it's dry I feel like the friction is going to pull my insides out. I just give up even with any lube I've tried... Sex doesn't feel good anymore... it's painful and frustrating. And I can't get off. I'm only 25 and I've been having these issues since i was 18 with the cyst... I wasn't told about what happens after...but I also feel like if I didn't have the surgery I would still have a painful golf ball size mass..that would come back Everytime they lanced it open...I have horrible scar tissue from all those times.... I don't even know what to do anymore....part of the reason I haven't been intimate with anyone since I left my ex...it's uncomfortable in itself and then add a whole new person on the mix...

• Posted

Hey, im parveen and im 26 years of agr. I got an op done for bartholin abscess removal. The one who did my surgery was very careless and left me with just an anti bacterial whilst the dressing wasnt a necessity. I developed the pus again and went for a second opinion to a different doctor who was an angel sent to me. She prescribed me the setz bath to heal and clean the wound. I got the op done on the 18th may and today is 31 st july. It took a great deal of time to heal. My doctor clearly said this is something that happens after marriage by which she means when you have sex. I couldn’t really tell her i have sex since im unmarried and went to doctor with my mother. I just wanted to know if it is really painful to have sex when i have stitches still healing in close proximity with my vagina. Should i wait for atleast 6 months to have sex with my partner? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.