Shakey, wobbly, trembly? Just want to feel like ME again.

Posted , 25 users are following.

Can anyone identify with this?...

In recent weeks I've been waking every morning (and sometimes in the night too) with a trembly feeling inside my stomach and tingling, fullness and slight trembling in both of my arms. I have adrenalin surges too where I wake up suddenly with a start. I also have neck, shoulder and upper back aching. I've read that these 'internal shakes' can be part of peri but I'm having a panic today thinking it's something worse.

When I get up in the morning my body feels like jelly, I get tingly feelings and cold flushes and I've been having anxiety, low mood and panic attacks too. Sometimes I feel spacey and just not part of the world, so on edge.

Has anyone else had any of these symptoms? I'm feeling alone wth it today.

I know I'm in perimenopause because I have other symptoms but these symptoms are so new and strange and the anxiety and low mood have been overwhelming and made me feel like a different person.

Does anyone else feel like they have kind of lost themselves?

Sorry if that sounds weird. I'm just having a challenging day with all this. I get so anxious about more serious causes and that makes it all worse.

I'm taking vits and St John's Wort and the occasional valium when I get really panicky. It's helped quite a bit but I still don't feel 'normal'. I just want to feel like ME again.

3 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Dear Ruthie,

I had a few weeks like this during the past summer. Guess it is the imbalance of the hormones that causes us to feel this lousy. I was prone to panic attacks prior to peri, so not sure if this is why I get these occasionally now.  

I did try pushing myself to use the treadmill to burn off the awful feeling. When I was successful in not letting it crippling me to the point of doing nothing, the treadmill did help. But it was such a production to move past the initial feeling you are describing. I also take the recommended vitamins and supplements, but when worse comes to worse, I eat a sedative.

I know what you mean about wanting to feel like ME again. I have days now where I do, so there is hope! 

Hope you feel better knowing that you are not alone and many of us are here for you!

Annie xx

• Edited

Thanks Annie, the physical symptoms are awful but I think the anxiety/panic is worse because it makes me constantly ruminate over 'the state I'm in' and makes it so hard to be distracted from it and feel like my old self.

Then I become anxious about being so anxious! And end up in a panic attack about where it will all end and feeling like I'm going mad.

I have suffered anxiety in the past but have been well, active and happy for a long time until recent months when the panic attacks and low mood struck with a vegeance. Almost overnight I went from being very active, busy and 'normal', able to take my daughter on holiday alone etc. to being practically afraid to leave the house (though I am still leaving the house and driving and seeming to function ok to an extent but inside I'm just constantly feeling panicky and detached).

Thanks for your support. It means a lot to know we are not alone in this.

Ruthie x

• Posted

Hi Ruthie

I'm new to this site so have only just read your post. It was like reading my own diary. I have also suffered bouts of anxiety over the years but have had many years symptom free thanks to SSRIs. Over the last three months though my anxiety and panic has been ridiculous and has made me feel desperate at times. My bleeding has been irregular and heavy too so im assuming im perimenopausal. Im having a particularly tough day today even though this week has been quite good. There doesnt seem any reason for it, it just hits hard when it feels like it. Im trying hard to tough it out. I also wake every morning with a surge of adrenalin and feeling very anxious. I find I need to get up and get moving and distract myself. It doesnt always work but is better than sitting and getting anxious about feeling anxious which I also do... in my mind ive had myself in a psychiatric ward! Reading others' experiences has also helped me to put things in perspective. I hope you get some relief soon. Big hugs

Anita x

• Edited

Hi Rutie,

I left you a reply to your other ci money not sure If you saw it ? I can honestly tell you I feel EXACTLY the same as you ! So we can't both be imagining these horrible symtoms . . .  I too have  the shaky feeeling and jelly legs ! Your not alone sweetheart.

i like you so wish to me again xx big hug Debbie x

• Edited

Thanks Debbie, not sure if I saw the other message, will have a look... really hope we both feel better soon. Surely this must come to an end at some point? Hugs

• Posted

Sorry that should say ' othe message' not money ! Silly laptop.
  • Edited

Yes I get this too. I am 40. I had one of my ovaries removed when I was 26. I started having peri symptoms then but they We're extremely mild.

I had my first born at 35 and experienced more period symptoms but thought it was just worsening PMS symptoms due to my age. I had my daughter a year and a half ago and went full force into period symptoms.  I never know from one day to the next how I'll be feeling.

But Yes, the shaky wobbly feeling is a part of the peri. If you increase some of your minerals such as b6 and b12,  it will help with these nervous jittery feelings. Hope this helps.

Sharlene 

• Edited

Thanks Sharlene, I hate the shakey, weak feeling. Hope you are having a better day today. Hugs x

• Edited

Oh Ruthie I truly can relate to what you have described. When looking back mine started back late 2012 when I was on holiday. I got myself into a right old state feeling different inside but really being unable to tell others how I was really feeling. We were away on a skiing trip in when I had some ski lessons one day and the very next day I just couldn't make myself do it the next day. Later that month I missed a period and two weeks prior to my next one I was really tearful, shaky, feeling nauseous, loss of appetite, couldn't even go into the office and work so I stayed in our home for about two weeks when my period arrived and then I felt like me again. Thought I was going to die as I couldn't explain why I was feeling this way as I had never ever experienced anything like it before in my life. Had all the usual test all came back normal. I found a couple of sites which confirmed my doom and gloom thoughts were part of peri. I do take vitamins like Busy B which include B6 100g, B12 100g, I also take Menopol plus which is really good, magnesium spray along with the tablets and these have helped to relax me. I do have acupuncture and this is really calming and it has also helped me with my digestive problems, sinus problems but I believe is great for many other things as well. Have been offered antidepressants from the GP but don't feel I need them as have never suffered with anxiety until two years ago and have just wanted to ride it out with making a few life changes. Making time for me a lot more, keeping high maintenance people at bay. 

Thankfully you have found this forum and it has certainly helped me to believe that I am not going mad as there are other ladies on here experiencing similar things to what I have encountered and that is truly a real comfort.

Massive hugs to you Ruthie and I hope you find that something that helps you find your old self back as I am sure you will. This year has been a much better year for me with fewer days keeping me away from the office and things do seem to be calming down a little for me.

Joy xxx🌞

• Edited

Thanks Joy, did you ever feel kind of detached like you just couldn't snap back to your old self? I hate thiskind of unreal feeling. I'm taking some BVits but maybe not enough, I need to get some of the BusyB I think. I use a magnesiu, spray too and progesterone cream. Hugs xx
    • Posted

Hi Ruthie,

The busy B have a good all round amount of 100g of each of them. There are times when I don't feel myself and like you wake up feeling shaky or anxious that something terrible is going to happen (when there is no reason to feel like this). Like you the feeling of the anxiety has been over whelming but mine is to do with my health. The one thing that I have tried recently was Hynotheraphy and have found really lovely lady who didn't think I needed to see a counsellor but just listened to what I had to say, I must say I came away like a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders. She says I only need three sessions but it has helped me to feel more like myself and have now have a lot more confidence in how to handle what is happening. Massive hugs to you sweetie and I think it's all about trial and error in what helps you to feel as you did! Joy xxxconfused

• Posted

Thanks Joy, I've been thinking baout hypnotherapy, might give it a go xx
  • Posted

Please don't feel alone you are not alone. There are times I have bouts of anxieties and feel my stomach turning to where I have the runs all day or most of the day. You are not alone everybody goes through this. You should have your thyroid checked to make sure you don't have low thyroid because with low thyroid you can have tingling in arms fingers legs and feet and you can get cold too also have your iron checked too because low iron can do this too
    • Posted

Thanks Susan, I already take thyroxine for an underactive thyroid and had it checked recently and it was ok. My iron does get low too but is ok at the moment too. Good to know we can all share like this.
  • Posted

Some days my anxiety also goes thru the roof and most times my chest hurts and get tingle in arms and hands and get chills....My chest seems to be the go to for me and my stomach will make all kinds of noises and bathroom is my best friend that day....lol.  I hate that it just seems to come on even when nothings bothering us...Its frustrating and makes ya tired and like a wet noodle...Like you I would love to be my old self again...

..hope you feel better soon....This site is very helpful for sure....

• Posted

Thanks Laurie. Yes, sometimes it just seems to come out of the blue. My stomach gets in knots too. It's such a rollercoaster ride and exhausting. Good that we can share. Hope you are having an okay day today x
    • Posted

Hi Laurie, just reading your post and you mention tingling and the chills, I never associated it to anxiety. So thats whats i  getfrown.  My stomach has become so loud it sounds like iv swollowed an old boiler.  Hope your feeling ok today. xx
    • Posted

Yeah I have tummy troubles too. This month when my cycle started, everytime I eat I get this tingly sensation on the left side of my clavicle bone. I feel like something is stuck in my throat sometimes like my food doesn't go all the way down. Sometimes my left arm tingles and it's hard to burp or pass gas. I have to suck on a peppermint to relieve the gas. It's a little scary and the constipation, forget about it. All of this is crazy! I never had this until recently. The only thing different is I've increased my iron intake and that's probably what's causing the stomach upset and constipation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.