shallow breathing

Posted , 8 users are following.

For weeks now I have been shallow breathing leading to tight chest, panic. I constantly yawn, sigh any try to take deep breaths. Any tips

2 likes, 97 replies

97 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Moira

This is a common anxiety symptom, feeling as though you are unable to take a full breath. Breathing exercises will help with this. If you are a 'chest breather' in that your stomach doesnt move when you breathe then you are not breathing correctly and this can be the cause of this symptom. If you lie down and put your hand on your tummy, you should see your hand rise with tummy when you take a breath in. If not, you are chest breathing. You will find exercises and the correct way to breathe on Youtube. It takes practice if your not used to it as your body will have become used to your current way of breathing bit after a while you will see a huge difference x

• Posted

Thanks Jen. You just wonder how anxiety can cause such severe physical symptoms. It's horrible

• Posted

I know...its awful. Some days for me are better than others but even when having a good day I will suddenly have anxiety attack from out of nowhere. I now find myself being anxious of being anxious, if that makes sense lol
    • Posted

I've always had anxiety 20 odd years but always been able to function. In the past I've had this tight chest on and off but for the last couple of weeks is been 24/7. I feel like if i don't force myself to breath ill stop breathing. If i feel ok then I'm waiting for it to come back

• Posted

If your waiting for it to come back when you feel ok, then subconsciously you are anxious about it. I do this to. If I suddenly think "oh I feel ok today and dont feel anxious" I will then get anxious about when my anxiety will kick back in...and obviously by being worried it kicks it all off again. Its like a vicious circle. I would definately try the breathing exercises as they have helped for me with regards to not being able to get a full breath.

• Posted

Yeah. Tight throat, tight chest, my shoulders and back are constantly tense. The list of symptoms is very long and chsnges day to day
  • Posted

I have been struggling with this for the past week since having a massive panic attack on Wednesday. Weak stomach and very shallow breathing. All of my muscles ache and are tense. Do you have a room in your house or at work where you can go be alone for a bit? I try and lay flat on my back, close my eyes, and take deep breaths for 10 or 15 minutes. It's not always a cure-all, but sometimes it helps.

• Posted

Difficult to do got 3 kids. I'll try when i go to bed. It's just such a horrible feeling

• Posted

Understood. I have two of my own, so deep breathing usually needs to wait until late at night. Still, even if it's late, maybe worth a shot. Do you have someone you can talk to about all of this? I try not to overwhelm people around me with my anxiety, but I do talk to my wife, dad, etc., when things are really bad. Sometimes I just need to vent, cry, etc.

• Posted

My hubby doesn't really understand, my mum is ultra confident. I used to confide in my gran as she used to suffer from agrophobia, did research on it and set up a group in scotland to help people but she died 3 years ago. She understood all these horrible feelings u get and helped me. It's only over the last year I've had this horrible breathing thing.

• Posted

And I think in reality, most people don't really understand. That's what finally pushed me to join a board such as this one, to talk to others that suffer with anxiety. 

• Posted

Me too. Once my grans group shut down i did nothing just struggled along. My gran said to me when she wad in her 30s in the late 40s she left the house and had this feeling she was dying. She ran back in the house up the stairs and was sick. She went to the doctor who basically said "if u were having a heart attack do u think ud be able to run up the stairs. No. So go away and stop wasting my time". In a way he was right but that didn't help my gran. When i get these horrible feeling i try to remember what this doc said but my mind says this might be the time u are having a heart attack. It's exhausting

• Posted

Dear Moira

Sounds like anxiety to but check with your pm dr so he or she so they can help you. 

Good luck 

• Posted

I no it's anxiety had it for near on 30 years. Don't no why its suddenly got worse

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.