Share stories & support

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello,

Im new here. I am 25 and have recently had an ultrasound scan result showing fibroids and a complex cyst below my left ovary measuring around 10cm something (can't remember exactly) and I was called in to have a blood test yesterday and I have an MRI booked for next Thursday.

Obviously the worst has crossed my mind. But I am healthy. I haven't had any children yet but was considering trying soon.

I suffered from irregular periods as a teenager and had a few scans which picked up small cysts which would come and go but was always told I have nothing to worry about.

I just wanted to hear some stories, if anyone has been told anything similar and basically just discuss this with someone in the same situation or someone who has experienced to give and receive some support.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey kala. I had similar experience i had cyst that was 29cm I had to get it removed only in last few weeks. Due to size I needed the open surgery which I was terrified of but honestly it's not near as painful as I expected. I had to have an ovary and a tube roved also. My main complication was that I actually am pregnant at the minute and they were brilliant and thankfully alls ok with the pregnancy now and hopefully it stays that way!! I'm finding the stretching stomach with a healing wound tingly at times but im just so glad it's ok. I've been told that even though I only have one ovary it shouldn't effect my future chances of having children. I don't even know if that other ovary had been working for a long time.

Has anyone else had experiences of one ovary removed and still going on to have successful pregnancies?

It's all so scary what is women have to go through. This will all just be healing and I'll have labour to contend with!!

• Posted

Hi Janine,

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Thanks for sharing your story with me, I imagine labour must be a daunting thought but I wish you every luck!

• Posted

Hi Janine- you have helped me with this post. I go for surgery on Tues 27th. Hope all goes well with your pregnancy- best feeling in the world when you meet your baby xx
    • Posted

Hi Janine

In June 1996 I had an ovary removed due to a cyst and endometriosis. In July 1997 I had my son and 18 months after that I had my second son. In my case I never noticed the ovary wasn't there although I was told to have a family sooner rather than later if that was what I wanted. Hope I have put your mind at rest a little bit! Hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly and enjoy your bundle of joy.

• Posted

HI Kayla,

I think it's just the normal procedure to have blood tests and MRI with any cyst over 5cm so don't worry about it xx  I had a 4.7 cm cyst last year which had a solid bit in which could have been cancerous but thankfully wasn't but I am 51 not 25, so I'm sure every thing will be ok for you.  I had my first ovarian cyst at 28 and gad to have my left ovary removed but still went on to have two more children with just the one ovary.  I also had loads of bloodtests, MRI and two ultrasounds but due to my age my consultant recommended an hysterectomy which I was happy to have.  

• Posted

Hi Janet - thanks for that. I'm 74 fit and healthy,no pain or symptoms. I go for surgery tues 27th for 2 cysts 5cm and 8cm.My consultant wouldn't recommend anything-he said it was my decision,but as he can only tell if it's malignant by a laparoscopy and then maybe a hysterectomy,I decided surgery was best for me. My blood test was 27 ( normal is 35) so that's good and CT scan showed nothing in rest of body.xx
    • Posted

Aw I'm sure you will be fine Sylvia. smile  There was a 70 year old lovely lady having a full hysterectomy when I had mine and she was absolutely fine xx.  I don't regret my hysterectomy, it's great not to worry about periods turning up unexpected ever again. lol
  • Posted

Hey Kayla.

I had a 8x8 cm cyst on my right ovarie. Due to the size I had to have open surgery. I was very worried about it all. The blood test is normal. I was told I would need to be off work for three months. But in the end only needed two months off. And I was up and on the go the following day. I had my right ovarie removed. But have been told I can still have children. I'm 22. Try not to worry too much. I made myself ill with worry and really there was no need. Good luck with everything. Hopefully it all works out as good as it did for me. That's been 9 months after my surgery and everything fine. And my scar has healed so nice smile xx

• Posted

Hi Hannah- thanks for that. I go on Tuesday for surgery- either laparoscopy,laparotomy or hysterectomy.My blood test was normal 27 and I am encouraged by your quick recovery. I too felt ill with worry through Xmas and New Year,but feeling calm now. It's the waiting that gets to you. xx
    • Posted

yes I agree it is the waiting that is the worst, the operation isn't half as scary as the waiting is. Good luck with your operation Sylvia and let us know how it went smile
    • Posted

Hi Janet- I will this forum is re assuring and you know you're not alone going thro all this xx
  • Posted

Hi kayla I was very worried when thy found an 8cm cyst and fibroid in my uterus after a scan and blood test. I just had my surgery on Saturday and it went well. The pain is bad but I feel better with each day . Try not to worry so much it will all work out fine. All the best.
    • Posted

Hi Maame, I'm glad it's over for you. I go on Tues 27th to have possible hysterectomy for 2 cysts 5cm and 8cm. He will do a laparoscopy/laparotomy first and that might be it. Sorry you are in pain,but I'm expecting that and glad you're feling better each day.xx
    • Posted

When I had op I came home from hospital with paracetamol and this wasn't enough, my Gp prescribed me some stronger cocodamol so that I sleep and was able to buy a weaker version over the counter at pharmacy for during the day. Do get stronger painkillers if you need them , it allows you to move about and helps recovery. But don't over do it get plenty of rest too.
    • Posted

hi dizylizzie Thanks for the advice- I will make sure I get the best pain relief. Take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.