Sharp groin pain

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

For those of you that have hip arthritis did any of you have intermittent sharp pain in the groin? It is not constant, which makes it worse because you just don't know when it's going to happen...

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh yes. absolutely.  It could be advanced OA which causes bone spurs.  I only had my OA diagnosed because I was having severe, sharp, sudden pains in the groin area.  I am only 37 and x-rays revealed substantial damage to my right hip due to advanced OA and huge bone spurs. I know exactly what you mean by saying it's not constant and you don't know exactly when it will happen.  For me, I have certain movements I make sure avoid (crossing my right ankle over my left will create immediate pain). I sometimes experience pain when I'm turning a corner and swing my right leg across my body.  You just have to learn what you can't do, but also understand that it might happen when you least expect it, and for me that's because of the bone spurs. I have elected to undergo a total right hip replacement in October because I have decided that is the only thing that will ultimately solve the issue.  Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Hi kelly,

Thank you for your comment, I will be having xrays on Monday to find out how bad it is sad

• Posted

Good luck to you! My understanding is that x-rays are actually the most reliable way to diagnose OA and it will show bone spurs and is more heavily relied upon than MRI for examining the hip joint. Although I am scared, I know surgery is my best option for living out my 30s pain free. I hope you find some comfort and relief. Best of luck and don't be afraid to do what works for YOU, whether that is surgery or not.  I am also on Diclofenac twice a day (not a pain killer - only a strong anti-inflammatory) and that has been very helpful.

• Posted

That is true.... While an x-ray is probably best for the OA, an MRI will diagnose any sort of labral tear.  I was diagnosed with CAM impingement myself and then went to undergo an MRI to make sure there wasn't a tear. Turned out it's just a very "rusty" hip as my doc calls it that ultimately needs replacing.

• Posted

Hi, yes I get this - I believe it's bone rubbing on bone. If it's any comfort to you I have had this for well over a year and it's not got any worse. I take turmeric and glucosamine/green lipped mussel supplements so perhaps they are helping! I had the other hip replaced a few years ago now but didn't have this problem with that hip although it is supposed to be a classic symptom of hip arthritis. You might just have pulled a muscle or something - if it's a real problem to you ask for an x-ray although they are not conclusive. Good luck.

• Posted

I'm not sure what is going on linda, I have cam hip impingement also which was diagnosed a few years ago (bony abnormality on the ball of the joint) which is why I am asking if this pain is typical of arthritis pain.

• Posted

Well now you've made me think. Very, very occasionally I get these sudden sharp pain in the groin, it doesn't last long but it's very debilitating.

I have recently developed OA in both knees.....now I'm wondering if there's a link.

• Posted

There is absolutely a link! It's all connected from the femmur downward to our knees. Not uncommon to have hip pain & then have knees affected on same side. I too have this pain and it can stop you in your tracks and make it difficult to not only walk or walk up and downstairs. 

We share the pain so to speak and it sucks wink

• Posted

Hi Chisi, Thanks for replying, Yes, it's very odd, not there all the time, just randomly happens at any time...which is not good, I nearly dropped my shopping bags today when it happened

• Posted

Hi JD, thanks for your comment, yes it sucks alright....it's making me paranoid because I don't know when it is going to happen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.