Sharp Pain in Prostate = Bladder Problems

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

I am a 36 year old male.

Since from the age of about 20 I have experienced urinary issues.

The problem I have is I feel the urge to go as normal, I then go and then about 15 minutes later the urge to go again appears, but on trying to empty the bladder, very little happens.

I have seen the doctor on many occasions but they always want to prescribe medication for inflammation or antibiotics for infection. I dont understand this as I have no pain when passing urine.

I did manage to get a doctor refer me to a Urologist about 5 years ago. That also was a complete waste of time. Within about 2 minutes of speaking with the Uro, he tells me I have overactive bladder. I spent many many months reading about OAB and I am 90% certain that this is not my problem.

I had no tests done, apart from a flow test, which could not be done as I already went for a wee before going to the Uro. I was not told a flow test would be done.

I had no ultrasound or anything.

This urinary issue comes and goes, it can last a few days, a few weeks or a few months.

What I have noticed is there seems to be some pain when I am about to get the symptoms again.

I get a very sharp, stabbing pain which seems to come from my prostate area, it is very painful but only for a few seconds, once the pain stops, the feeling of needing to wee are noticeable.

This pain seems to kick off something which causes this urge to go all of the time.

But it also can make the symptoms go away completley.

I will give you an example.

About 2 months ago I was just sitting at home, the symptoms where there and I was suffering with this urge to go.

Suddenly I get the sharp pain in my prostate area, then all of a sudden my urge to go symptoms disappear as if by magic.

All has been fine for about two months.

Then yesterday I was travelling in the car and the sharp shooting pain in my prostate area occurs and the symptoms are back again. Urge to go every 15 minutes.

When I visited the Urologist I told him about my pain in the prostate area, he had no clue and told me I was too young for prostate issues. And insisted that I have OAB! I really do NOT think that OAB is my issue, and I really dont know how the Urologist can make such an assumption from not doing any tests or further discovery.

I am at a loss, this problem severely brings me down as I feel I cannot go anywhere or do anything as I always need to visit the loo. My relationship with my partner and son suffers when I have this problem as I dont want to do anything or go anywhere and always feel down.

I just dont know where or who to turn to.

Thanks for reading.

Dorian

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Dorian,

Sorry to read about your problems, which would certainly upset me if I had them.

I cannot help directly with any ideas of what may be happening. But I can suggest what you may do.

Maybe you can ask for another urologist to check you out, this time using ultrasound imaging (you have the right to 2nd opinions). Perhaps even an MRI scan if you can persuade them to do this (or get it done privately - costs about £200 I think, about the same as a private consultation with a urologist if you can't find one on the NHS who is sympathetic to doing what you want).

Age should not be a factor for any investigation. There are enough examples of people being told they were 'too young', only to find that their fears were justicied.

I assume you've had your prostate checked, both for size and PSA, and that's come back as you're clear?

Maybe others on this forum will chip in with better advice.

• Posted

Hi ianC,

Thanks for your reply.

A doctor checked the size of my prostate by inserting a finger, but no PSA check was done.

But I now do remember that when I went to see the Urologist, his asistant did take a urine sample which was all clear.

I will wait a few days to see what members on here think of the situation and then see my doctor again and ask to see a different Urologist.

If I had the money I would go private, but at this time there is no way that I could afford it sadly.

Thanks

Dorian

• Posted

The PSA test is not considered too good anyway; just that some think it is better than nothing maybe (having said that, if it gives a false positive - frequent - then people end up having too much intervention unnecessarily).

I take you point on the expense. However, you can just badger your GP to do another referral - as I've said, you've a right to at least on second opinion.

As to the urine sample being 'all clear', tht depends on what they checked for - most likely just the standard tests for infections and biochemical metrics. Useful, but not as exhaustive as can be done if something serious is suspected.

I think you're right to wait and see what our forum collegues come up with.

Best, Ian

• Posted

Whenever I have had a flow test I have been told to arrive with a full bladder.The waiting room is full of others there for itl and jugs of water tea and coffee are available to top you up. When you need to go you tell the nurse. You then dink more until you go again and they they do an ultrasouund scan to check your residue/retention.

You are old enough to have a enlarged prostate or more likely prostatitis.

You need to go back to our GP and insist  on a referral.

• Posted

Yes, I was not informed that I would need to do a flow test so did not arrive with a full bladder!
    • Posted

At one time I could not dare arrive with a full bladder so got there early and with a 1.5 litre bottle of water. Another prblem at that time was not being able to go for the second time and beng the lsst to leave:-)

How can you be sure that the pain is actually in your prostate?

• Posted

It is difficult to pee on demand and travelling any distance with a full bladder it not easy for anyone, let alone people with bladder issues!

I am not 100% sure that the pain is in my prostate, it is very much in that area, its either the prostate of the urethra passing through the prostate. I cant rule out either possibility.

• Posted

Hello Dorian,

Commiserations.  It's not much fun having so much of one's attention directed to what   Ideally,  should be an autonomic, uncomplicated  and unconsidered procedure,  is it ? 

Having read and re-read your Post I understand that you have had this underlying condition for 16 years !   On and off with varying degrees of discomfort and/or pain but otherwise have been generally healthy and with periods of remission.

The important thing is that over 16 years the condition has not worsened,  it has just remained the same.  

Can you think under what non-medical circumstances in your life, the alternate periods of discomfort and calm occur ?  Are you under any particular stressors ?  Could it be for example : Work ?,  Family ( nuclear,  or extended ) ?,  Financial ?  Relationship issues ?   Supporting a Div. 2 Football team ( as I do ! ) ?

Because happily,   there really doesn't seem to be any definitive indication of morbidity in what you describe.

So,  I hope you can obtain some lasting relief soon ;   but I tend to think on balance that the greatest relief you wil likely experience,  is if you can tackle the inordinate degree of anxiety you are experiencing.  

There is a very good book written decades ago,  entitled  ' How to Stop Worrying and Start Living '.  It is an absolute classic and it could not fail to help you.

Good Luck Dorian

Regards

Dudley

• Posted

Anxiety is something that could indeed contribute to this issue. However I feel that this is not the direct cause.

Just the same as everyone else, there are periods throughout my life where worry/anxiety has been apparant.

I have had times where I have been under great stress and not suffered with this issue. And there are times when there are no worries but still the problem remains.

So, yes, anxiety could be a contributing factor, but certainly not the root cause in my opinion.

I have read books about anxiety before and not found them to be any help whatsoever but thanks for taking the time to let me know about it.

Thanks

Dorian

• Posted

It is good to know that anxiety is not exacerbating the problem. 

As sometimes you get the pain and symptoms ensue and then again,  sometimes you get the pain and the symptoms stop...it rather suggests that  something is on the move or shifts position doesn't it ?  Or maybe kinks and un- kinks ?

Query a small hernia ?  Query kidney gravel ?  Query an intermittent anal fissure,  or piles ?  Query adequate hydration ?  Query normal sexual function ?  Query constipation ?

No doubts any list of the possible causes would be almost endless;   but it would seem to be something of an help to you,   if your Dr/Uro could eliminate the more obvious ones.  The Medical Profession's interest in you should be an wholistic one and it is failing you,   if you have to resort to web sites and amateurs.

I hope someone somewhere will help you to get this sorted.

• Posted

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

I have often thought that something could be on the move. Possibly the sharp pain could be some object moving through the urethra, but if thats the case then why the pain in the prosate area only and not anywhere else where the urethra passes through?

I do not have or ever had an anal fissure to my knowledge, nor piles.

I drink enough fluids, mostly water. 

Sexual function, everything works as it should.

Bowel movements are pretty normal.

Kidney gravel, thats something that has crossed my mind before. Would I notice any gravel, or stones in my urine? I never have pain when passing urine, but on occasions flow can sometimes feel a little obstructed. But on the whole, flow is perfectly normal.

In all fairness I think I would be wasting my time with another Urologist as it seems there is no obvious answer to my problem. I feel that I am on my own with this one.

• Posted

That's brave of you Dorian.  

Have you trialled pelvic floor exercises ?

• Posted

Over the years I have tried many many different things to rid this issue.

Pelvic floor being one of them, no change.

• Posted

Hi, Dorian

I do feel so very sorry for you, the symtoms you mention could well be prostate related which also in my case gives the OAB effect also, the sharp pain is what most of us have had with our prostate related problems, I would have thought the doctor would have given you at least a flow test ( pee on the fly ). I would seek a second opinion and at least get medication from your doctor. I have amitriptyline for the urge feeling ( which I still get even with an indwelling cathater in place.)

I wish you all the best and hope you get it sorted ( on one of the forums here a mother posted about her son having a large prostate and he is only twenty odd )

• Posted

See my post on this group. Sounds similar to my symptoms,  and I believe it could be the muscles in your pelvic floor (especially if sitting makes it worse).
    • Posted

Thanks for your post.

There maybe something in this pelvic floor idea.

I remember once walking up a steep hill with my dog and after a few minutes I was getting the sharp pain in the prostate area, or more precisely the perineum. This pain lasted for a few minutes, usually it only lasts a few seconds. Immediately after the pain the symptoms returned and lasted for months.

On another walk, I was taking a less intense walk and all of a sudden it felt like my whole bladder and associated area became relaxed and the symptoms immediately disappeared. It was almost like the whole bladder area dropped away.

So I am leaning very much towards pelvic floor muscles being tense and causing the issues.

Question is, how does one relax these muscles when they become tight?

I must admit that I do not like taking any drugs and would prefer to find a natural way of combatting the muscle tightness. But if I have to take them then I will, I think I would prefer to be drugged up than miserable all the time!

I also read with interest in your thread about gluten being a possible cause of irritation to our problem. I have been trying to eat less gluten even before I read about the possibility of it being a contributing factor. Its not easy as pretty much everything that I like eating contains gluten! But I will stick with it as although it so far has not helped the bladder issue, it has certainly helped my stomach!

Thanks again smile 

• Posted

Hi again

I have a GPs referral to a Musculoskeletal Consultant in December. Apparently they have seen this sort of thing before so I will keep you updated.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.