Shattered Distal Radius

Posted , 65 users are following.

Fell down some stairs and got a Comminuted Intraarticular (in other words, bone shattered at the wrist joint). Thankfully (!!!) only the large bone - Distal Radius, and my left wrist. 5 pieces, put back into place and held there with 3 K-wires (pins).

Had backslab on top for 12 days, plaster cast which goes only 2/3 way round arm, underside only has soft padding - this keeps bones in place but allows for swelling. After that it was changed to a full cast, think it was fibreglass, looked like a bandage but when they wet it before wrapping it on and it dried rock hard within 30 mins, lighter than plaster of paris.

This stayed on for further 3 weeks. I was most surprised to only be in plaster for total 4 1/2 weeks. Initial relief to hear plaster was coming off and pins removed was shortlived.......

Blimey it is painful without the support of the cast - I didn't expect that, though they did say I would get shooting, stabbing and aching pains, I didn't really anticipate to what extent, or that I'd feel like Humpty Dumpty.

Started physio immediately, given mobilisation exercises to do at home for first week, surprised at how RIGID my wrist is, like trying to bend and turn a tree stump. Finger movements not so bad though, but no strength whatsoever.

Supidly thought plaster would come off, little bit of physio...............put it all behind me and drive off to work, all done and dusted in 6-8 weeks, tops. Somehow I don't think that's going to happen, silly me.

Think it's worse when the bone shatters at the joint, can't seem to find a forum with someone who has same experience to share, maybe offer me some reassurance about timescales etc.

If anyone is interested, I got a great product off the internet to keep cast completely dry in bath/shower/pool, good quality sealed plastic with rubber seal - called 'Limbo' £10 +pp £3 fast delivery, hospital gave me the leaflet. Also used a chopstick to disobey instructions not to shove things down the cast and scratch, just used it to give a gentle rub when it was driving me nuts.

9 likes, 242 replies

242 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Elaine.

My doctor's clinic was off today although i did the x-ray and checked with another doctor and he said everything is fine i think you can remove the cast i told him i will check with my doctor i just wanted to make sure everything is fine and told him about the bone movement feeling he said thats normal after cutting the cast till under the elbow no worries about it.

• Posted

Hi

I fractured my wrist after a fall on the 28th of February 2014. When i fell it didnt hurt much, my wrist just felt light and the radius (large bone on the top) looked and felt bend inwards slightly. It felt as if it was a bad fall so i just took pain killers. When i stopped the pain killers the pain slowly crept back and it was a bit bent again so then i decided to go A&E after 3 days. The nurse took one look at it and told me it needs to be pulled into place. So, doctors pulled it in place then put a cast on it until the fracture clinic appointment.

The doctor in the fracture clinic indicated he could repair it with an operation by putting a metal plate and screws in which they did. The fracture is called a Colles Distal Radius Intra-Articular fracture. I did not shatter the bones but the doctor said they were fragmented but in the x-ray he was showing me i could only see the fracture like a crack and in another version it was like a clean break/cut.

After i had the procedure on 13 March 2014 my arm felt like a large metal rod and cant turn it much. Cant open the door lock or press switches from an angle - scary.

I was reluctant to have the surgery at first - was more scared of the general anesthesia than the operation itself. Now that I have had the surgery I am so glad and releived because I am not in a cast and can almost move my arm freely, its almost 1 month now.

At my physio / hand therapy the doctor said to wear the wrist brace/splint more because the swelling doesnt go down. Now that i am wearing it the swelling has improved if i keep it on most of the time like she said. I think the splint/brace acts like a removal cast - the compression keeps the swelling down.

• Posted

Hi all,

Just got the cast off today finally. Also the doctor removed the k-wires in the clinic. It hurts but not that much it's okay. He put bandage and told me to remove it tomorrow and for 10 days put my hand in warm water and start to move it slightly ( 3 - 4 times per day). Then will start the Physiotherapy. For now cant feel my wrist or move it, the skin looks stinky but by time will be fine i hope. I was prepared for this so no surprises. Wish you all speed recovery.

• Posted

That's great news!! Hoping for mine to be removed tomorrow!!
  • Posted

How's everybody no news?
  • Posted

Hi,

I had my cast removed yesterday and out into a removable splint. It's sore and very very stiff!! My knuckles are a bit more swollen today and the consultant has advised mr to take pain killers and anti inflammatorys for the next 10 days. The skim is shedding but I purchased this amazing skin therapy oil for boots. I used it 3 times now and can see a great difference. It also allows me to massage it which again was advised. I feel like the moving my wrist forward and back will become achievable quiet quickly however palm up and palm down is a real challenge! Near on solid with no rotation at the moment. Doing these excersises in warm water if certainly easier. Reading back through some of the early messages on here it seems others have had the same challenges so hopefully improvement will come with continued focus!

• Posted

yea, moving the wrist/hand up and down is a real challenge. Its one month now and its not looking very good, i've already been to 2 hand therapy sessions, dunno what they will do next.
  • Posted

Trex - have the physio's given you some exercises to do on your own at home?

One of mine involved resting my forearm on the table with my wrist just over the edge. Put a small weight (used can of beans from grocery cupboard!), into a carrier bag and hold the handles in my hand. Try to raise it slightly up and back down but don't lift forearm from the table, wrist must do all the work.

When you've done a few, turn your arm over so the back of your forearm is resting on the table, same procedure as above but now your palm will be facing upwards. Both of these should encourage your wrist to bend back and forth.

Make no mistake, there will be precious little movement at first & it's all not the most comfortable of things I've ever had to do, lucky to lift/lower more than a few millimetres & spent most of the first few days thinking "I can't do this".

I made myself do all the exercises I was told to do as often as possible during every day - even if it's just the following simple ones.......................

Put your hands together in the prayer position level with your face with elbows tucked in, keep hands firmly together and start lowering them, letting your elbows go outwards. Lower as far as possible - which at first won't be far!

Even sitting watching the TV I constantly used my other hand to manipulate my wooden wrist back and forth and encourage it to twist as far as possible.

My actual physio sessions were very few and far between, stopping altogether after about 4, before I felt anywhere near accomplished at moving my wrist in any direction......but that is the NHS for you, pretty much shown what to do and left to get on with it.

Rather a lot of disheartening effort but put in the work regardless and it will start moving. Once you can get to a small amount of flexibility returning, every day living/usage of it will also help. Elaine has used the correct word "challenging".

• Posted

Valentine's day of 2013 I fell 30 feet off my balcony. I broke my radius in my right arm and my radius and my ulna in my left. Got plates put in both arms. After I got my casts off, I felt a pop on the top of my my left hand. After the pop, I felt pain and couldn't raise my left thumb. I have very little range of motion in my left as Well. It has given me problems all year. Now this last month my right hand and wrist is hurting just like my left. My hands also go numb. like when I'm driving, one or the other goes numb and I have to switch hands often. I am in constant pain! I was just wondering if anyone knew what causes this. Is it nerve damage or what?
    • Posted

Sounds like an EPL tear "This is unique in that it occurs following a distal radius fracture in up to 3% of all cases, yet it is poorly understood why this occurs. The EPL inserts on the distal phalanx of the thumb, and acts as a joint extender of the thumb. Rupture of the EPL can occur up to 8 weeks after the initial distal radius fracture. Since it has a poor blood supply, it is postulated that chronic tenosynovitis following this injury wears away the tendon sheath, making it vulnerable to rupture. Testing for a rupture is a simple manual muscle test, where you block the IP joint of the thumb and isolate the distal phalanx. You then ask the patient to extend the distal phalanx and if they are unable to or have trouble doing so, rupture of this tendon should be suspected."
  • Posted

@jeannette54 yeah, the physio gave me a set of exercises to do including resting my forearm on the table with my wrist just over the edge and bending it downwards and keeping it there for 5 seconds, 5x, and then bending it upwards and keeping it there for 5 seconds, 5x, - no weights. If i do anything with that hand it flares-up.

I did the "hands together in the prayer position" exercise, i dont have a problem with that.

Are you wearing a splint/brace ?

• Posted

No, I don't wear a splint or brace. I do occasionally wear ace bandages on both.
  • Posted

@tori10030 theres enough pain and discomfort living with one fracture, how you managing to live with two ? coz its almost impossible to do much, like i cant write properly or lift anything heavier than a mobile with that hand....

...its only 4 weeks now but unknowingly i lifted a 2 litre bottle of milk while shopping, for a fractured wrist that is big and heavy, luckily i didnt feel much pain coz i was wearing the splint/brace

• Posted

Hi everyone. I hope im replying here the right way, just signed up after seeing this topic.

I broke my distal radius back in March 4th, I had surgery on March 17 and got put a external fixator with four pins and two more pins to hold the bones together as well. I started therapy until April first, so I pretty much did not move my filger at all for a month, therapy with the external fixator was limited as well since the pins were very uncomfortable.

I finally got the external fitaxor removed on April 25th, my fingers are still stiff and cant straight them up all the way or flex them, cant make a fist yet as well. I just started with the wrist exercises this past week, but my wrist is super stiff as well.

Im a little concern that I can try to move/flex the hand down but def not up at all. It doesnt hurt when I try to flex up, it just doesnt happen. Any tips of how to make this happen?

Also, how long did it take you to make a fist? I feel like I waited to long to move my hand, so now its taking forever.

Any tips will be great! TY.

• Posted

Hey Jessy,

im 3 weeks out of cast after a distal radius and ulna comminuted displaced fractures. I didn't have surgery but had my cast of each week and my fractures manipulated into position. 3 weeks down the line I'm having weekly physio, I, just like you can hardly flex my wrist upwards, downwards has improved. I am also struggling hugely with palm up! It's just a no go. I'm excersises it 6-10 times a day and using a ball to squeeze and a rubber band for strengthening, given to me by the physio. They have suggested making me a cast to sleep In that helps to push the wrist backwards.this forum has helped lots with what to do and not to do and I have watch some others experiences on you tube as to recovery and excersises which has helped. I think from what I've read that it just takes time and to persevere with the excersises. Hope this helps!

• Posted

Jessyka,  I hope by now you're wrist has recovered to a greater extent than when you wrote your message. Your case  where you used a four pin X ternal Exeter plus additional internal pins… In my case, six resembled mine so much  that I thought you could perhaps answer a question for me. I am to have the fixator  and pins removed in two weeks. That will be six weeks post surgery where they needed to reconstruct the bones  using cadaver bone. The pain for the whole course  post surgery has been incredibly painful with pain management being the most pressing concern.  I am trying to take us a little pain medicine as possible as it is a very addictive opiate. Can you tell me, in your case was the pain less the same or more when the pins are removed. Thank you so much for any information that you can give me.

• Posted

wondering how you are doing now? just got my external fixator removed 4 days ago. PT appt tomorrow. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.