Shattered Distal Radius

Posted , 65 users are following.

Fell down some stairs and got a Comminuted Intraarticular (in other words, bone shattered at the wrist joint). Thankfully (!!!) only the large bone - Distal Radius, and my left wrist. 5 pieces, put back into place and held there with 3 K-wires (pins).

Had backslab on top for 12 days, plaster cast which goes only 2/3 way round arm, underside only has soft padding - this keeps bones in place but allows for swelling. After that it was changed to a full cast, think it was fibreglass, looked like a bandage but when they wet it before wrapping it on and it dried rock hard within 30 mins, lighter than plaster of paris.

This stayed on for further 3 weeks. I was most surprised to only be in plaster for total 4 1/2 weeks. Initial relief to hear plaster was coming off and pins removed was shortlived.......

Blimey it is painful without the support of the cast - I didn't expect that, though they did say I would get shooting, stabbing and aching pains, I didn't really anticipate to what extent, or that I'd feel like Humpty Dumpty.

Started physio immediately, given mobilisation exercises to do at home for first week, surprised at how RIGID my wrist is, like trying to bend and turn a tree stump. Finger movements not so bad though, but no strength whatsoever.

Supidly thought plaster would come off, little bit of physio...............put it all behind me and drive off to work, all done and dusted in 6-8 weeks, tops. Somehow I don't think that's going to happen, silly me.

Think it's worse when the bone shatters at the joint, can't seem to find a forum with someone who has same experience to share, maybe offer me some reassurance about timescales etc.

If anyone is interested, I got a great product off the internet to keep cast completely dry in bath/shower/pool, good quality sealed plastic with rubber seal - called 'Limbo' £10 +pp £3 fast delivery, hospital gave me the leaflet. Also used a chopstick to disobey instructions not to shove things down the cast and scratch, just used it to give a gentle rub when it was driving me nuts.

9 likes, 242 replies

242 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you for this forum. I  too fractured my distal radius April 23, 2014. The emergency room PA gave me a "hemo block" (very painful series of shots right into the injuried wrist) in order to block the pain while he pulled on it to try and set properly.  A cast was applied. The  end of the radius was shattered in at least 4 places and  1/2" split down middle. I opted for surgery and a clawlike plate was attached with 11 screws
  • Posted

Hi, so nice to find people that have gone through a similar injury as I have. I fell 8 weeks ago and smashed my right wrist (comminuted, intra-articular displaced), 5 breaks to the radius extending into the wrist joint. I had surgery the next day to have a plate fitted and stayed in a cast for less than 2 weeks and given a wrist brace to wear. I was really pleased at my quick recovery until I realised just how slow, difficult and painful any progress would be! 

At my 5 week check-up and x-ray, I felt quite disappointed to be told that I would never regain full use of my dominant hand and that osteoarthritis would soon develop! 

Tomorrow I finally go to my first physio appointment (8 weeks after my operation and I'm hoping I'll be given a more positive approach to dealing with my injury. I haven't been allowed back to work yet (I work in a school) in case my wrist is knocked by the children. I was wondering at what point others on here were able to return? My consultant says at least another month but I find that so hard to believe! My wrist is still very stiff, painful and about half the normal movement. I sometimes get pains in my index fingers and thumb and my thumb isn't very strong which makes gripping some things difficult. I still wear my wrist brace and only take it off to do wrist and hand exercises. After reading these posts it has made me think more positively about the future and not give up on the exercises! 

• Posted

I'm very excited to have found this forum.

I broke wrist 3 weeks ago and plaster was removed yesterday.  It was a simple fracture not requiring surgery, just plaster.  Now in the post cast phase, I am confused by conflicting opinions of 2 doctors:

1: just wear light support bandage, no structured physio required.  Get moving yourself, be guided by your own pain!!  Avoid very strenuos stuff like cycling and hoovering but otherwise your good to go.

2: 3 weeks is too soon, you must wear a splint for another 3 weeks before starting structured physio.  If you start exercising too soon you risk complications.

Bearing in mind the other more serious stories here (I feel slightly ashamed, my case is very simple) I wonder how much pain to expect and whether I should get rid of the splint and start physio now (advice of Dr 1.) or take it easy with splint and wait another 3 weeks before starting physio? (advice of Dr 2.)

I'm anxious to get back to playing flute which I can probably do now with pain, but is this being silly?  Should I wait a bit longer?  I'd be very grateful for any advice..........

• Posted

hi my son fell from a tree 2 weeks ago and broke both of his wrist he had to have surgrey but didnt have to have any wires or pins just re kined his bones his in a full cast on one arm and half a cast on the other , xrays was looking good after 5 day and going back on friday my question is we are going on holiday in 20 days time and the hotel wont let him swim even tho i have brought protecters for his arm i have ask the doctor when we go back on the 11th july will they put him into splints so we can still go on our holiday but just not sure if they will... he would have been in cast for 4,5 weeks what are your thoughts his only 10 and i know kids heel abit faster
  • Posted

I'm very glad to have found this thread. So many good advice and positive comments in this thread. I'm just off my cast today (after 6 weeks), following a distal radius and ulna fracture. I had a closed reduction with 2 pins inserted into my wrist. The pins have been removed today and my wrist is wrapped in a bandage.

My fingers can move and I can close them into a fist but I do feel pain occasionally when I straighten my fingers. I guess it may due to the removal of the pins.

Right now, I can't tist my wrist anti-clockwise but I go clockwise though not fully.

My doctor has earmarked an appointment in 2 weeks' time to discuss about the physio exercises. After reading all the comments here, it seems that the healing will take time.

• Posted

Hi I broke my wrist 6 wks ago - Calles fracture - had it manipulated into place & cast with plaster of Paris.  Howver 2 wks later the bones displaced again and I had it painfully manipulated once again and again cast in plaster of Paris. At 3 weeks they told me although it wasn't set oerfect it was "as good as " & wouldn't move again & at 3 wks was too late for the op. He also told me Id jever regain  full function & would experience pain sometimes.  I'm confused as to why I wasn't offered the op to begin with it being so unstable  & sliced in half! I'm due at fracture clinic Fri - I don't know what to expect . I'm wondering when I'll  be able to drive again - I have 3 small children & need to drive again asap for school runs etc! THANKS.
    • Posted

Hi, if you can find my previous posts on here I am 6 months on from your situation, I broke both my ulna and radius and had it manipulated every week for 6 weeks! The worst experience!! 6 months on I have limited movement, I can clean a window or do aerobic excersise, ie push myself off the floor as my wrist no longer flexs to a right angle. It's hugely disappointing, I to wish I was given the option to operate but it would of left my wrist longer in the outcome, yours too. When your cast first comes off you will think you will never move it again and cradle it like a premature baby! But in time with great physio and perseverance you will get movement back. Hope this helps. If you have any specific related questions please ask and I'll answer the best I can.

Kind regards

Elaine

• Posted

Thanks for replying Elaine - that sounds absolutely traumatic having it manipulated so many times!!! I thought 2 was bad!!! I'm anxious about Fri as I'm not only worried about what it'll look like aesthetically as I know it's not healing in perfect alignment  - but I'm obviously  mostly concerned about the loss of function. Do you still see the physio? Can you drive? Change gears? Thanks, M.
    • Posted

Hi, I started this thread what seems like a long time ago.  All perfectly healed.........eventually!  Had to change my user name a while back as I forgot my password.

Anyway, as to your question about driving.  I bought a wrist support from E-bay (not sure if I'm allowed to say that).  Went over my thumb and velcro fixed to support my wrist. It had a removable flat steel bar in it.  Needed a bit of extra support for the first week or so of driving as it was my 'gear' changing wrist that had shattered.

With that I was able to drive pretty quickly after the pins & plaster were off, but I was very determined with the DiY physio in between proper sessions. 

Good luck to you ladies currently 'busted', patience and determination will hopefully get you back to pretty much full mobility.  I've only lost an really negligible amount of flexibility, barely enough to notice.

• Posted

Hallo Elaine, how are you going 12 months on from your fracture?

I am 5 months on from mine and my wrist is still super stiff and wont flex at all. Like you were my ability to do exercise is limited. Just hoping you have made a big improvement by now....????????????

Chris

• Posted

Hi Chris, 

i am indeed 12 months on exactly this Saturday, I would say my wrist is 90% there on a good day, 85% there on a cold day. I still cannot flex my wrist fully in all directions, supanation and pronation are almost there, it's the flexing forward and back that are there hardest. Strength wise, my grip when measured is half the strength of my left hand and cannot bare weight through my wrist for eg to push my self up off the floor or to push a heavy door open with my palm. I still get nerve like shooting pains occasionally up through my wrist but this is literally once or twice a week on average.i still get quite a lot of discolouration, kind of purply patches when over used and the skin at the fracture sight becomes a bit more sensitive.

treatment wise I am still under my physio that has had me using a Thera band, light dumbells and a squeeze ball and pegs for grip. This has all helped immensely and would be my number one bit of advice, you get out of it what you put in! The road to recovery is as fast as you make it and at times through bitterness of the fact that someone else did these injuries to me I have been reluctant to do them through the want of just living my pre accident life the reality soon comes back around that I won't have a shot at a pre accident wrist if I don't put the work in!!! 

I have been given the option of two opperations in the future, a denervation to remove the nerves within my wrist to help with long term pain, or an option to fuse a peice of bone I still have floating that could help with that last bit of wrist movement. Neither of them guarantee to work, neither of them without their own risks! 

Hope per this helps get a view of 12 months on! Happy to try and help with any similar concerns anyone might have. I found, and still find this forum a great self help channel! smile

• Posted

Hi sorry I didn't see your reply to this sooner and can't believe how much time has past since!!! Driving for me physically has been easier as my fractures were to my right wrist, my dominant hand so my left hand was fine to change gears etc. I would I now have to drive as we should at a ten to two position but that is no bother. I have had a few squeal moments when turning corners and needing to change gear that my right wrist has had to step up to the table and be strong! But that's not to say it wasn't painful. Ivy posted another reply below about my wrist now 12 months on if your interested.
  • Posted

Sorry excuse the typos - just got a new phone! I wanted to also address the "bleeding " sensation beneath the cast - I just assumed it was blood rushing to the injury to heal it. As I hadnt had an op & hadnt any open wounds I never thought it would be actual blood. Hope this helps. 
    • Posted

Yes I had exactly that, like hot liquid running under the plaster, I was told it was the nerves in shock, heat, burning, stinging are all nerve related feelings
  • Posted

hi i have the same problem atm arms have came out of casts and its a week now till physio.I broke both wrists radial fractures been through the backslabs etc is it normal to have a lot of clicking and grinding feelings? 2 weeks after the casts come off?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.