Shingles

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with shingles, age 47, 5 days ago - seems mild get burning sensations mostly at nights. I caught it early - seem to noticed rash beforr pain. Anyway, I feel exhausted a lot today not sure if it has to do with shingles or anemia. What I am really wondering is when i know for sure these rashs has broken and crusted over, mine look like dark spots red over the blisters, is that part if the process or I'm not contagious anymore?

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think you will still be contagious after 5 days! I think it takes at least a week or longer, but only if someone is in contact with the rash, Good luck, I am in my 6th week and my head is still itching like CRAZY! I did have every complication going though, includung re infection of my eye and forehead, so it slowed the healing process down, I now have neuralgia and a very sensitive head,it has been SO painful even before the rash! I'd rather give birth than have this, and I have had two children and not easy births!!
    • Posted

Thank you, I really do hope your shingles is over much quicker, I have just been unlucky, especially as it has been the worst type, on my face and so close to my eye, I just feel relieved if my sight is going to be ok!
  • Posted

Dear Ingrid,

I am so sorry for your suffering.

I hope you are on antivirals. The fatigue usually accompanies Herpes Zoster-Shingles. Other flu-like symptoms such as headache, joint and muscle aches, fever, chills and sweating, malaise, weakness, photophobia can occur, as well. The blisters / vesicles take about a week to finish erupting, then up to 2-3 weeks more before all the vesicles-blisters have crusted over. Only then are you considered non-contagious. It depends how many vesicles you have, ie how extensive the rash is. If the pain is severe, please ask your physician for stronger analgesics. Where is your rash? My first Herpes Zoster episode occurred when I was 44 years old, 20 years ago. Unfortunately, I have had Herpes Zoster Oticus in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 20 years. Please let me know how I can help you.

I am a nurse practitioner in the States.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Poor you getting it so often, I just can't  imagine  ever having to go through it all again!!
    • Posted

Jane,

At least I can help others with the diagnosis, treatments, and advocacy as a clinician. I know how excruciating and multifaceted this disease is.

You learn to adjust in life and have a huge sense of humor. But thank you for your kindness.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Merry,

Thank you, your information has been helpful, I wasn't sure what to look for. I have a rash between my breast going partly across over it, there is a space in the trail and then it continues on the other side down going up across my back to the spine where it stops.

I do experience a lot malaise. Just wondering if coughing has any connection to shingles? This makes me question why i didn't experience pain before my rash unless getting pains in my knee is a clue, or i was to sick... had sinus infection about a week before getting this...

I do wonder another thing if by chance my child gets in contact with my shingles, she is 13 and no she never had chicken poxs or vaccine, what should i look for and long can it take if she gets chicken poxs.

Thanks!

• Posted

Ingrid,

Zoster has a 21 day communicable spread, meaning if she is exposed to the Herpes Zoster Virus particles, it can show up as chickenpox up to 3 weeks later. Zoster is one third as contagious as chickenpox. That being said, if you keep your lesions covered, with clothes, and she doesn't share the same bedroom as you, she should be in the clear. I would avoid physical contact, however.

Some people feel as if they are getting a cold or sinus infection before they have Shingles. You are truly sick when you have shingles and need to rest. Otherwise, the pain and fatigue can become more severe.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Oops!

One more thing! Wash your hands often! Change bed linens and nightgowns daily to prevent any viral fluid from spreading. Once everything has crusted over, this is no longer necessary. Presume that all women of child- bearing age are pregnant and avoid them during the next 2-1/2 weeks. (I err on the side of caution.)

Good night.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Oh no, I certainly hope she doesn't get it, as in the beginning I couldn't feel or see if i had any rash on my back. Plus i I can't see most of them on my back only some using the bathroom mirror. I was told as long as she doesn't touch the rash she was fine 😯
    • Posted

Ingrid,

The Varicella virus can spread via direct contact or via the respiratory tract. It becomes airborne and is breathed in. That is how many viruses are spread.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Merry

Sorry, if I am asking may be too many questions, thanks for being patience with me and answering them. Ok, I do have one more question, hopefully last one haha, as you said if my daughter gets it then it will show up later..... does that mean she could be contagious before getting chicken poxs ? Or is it ok for her to be social with school n public places until we see chicken pox, as she might not get it either.

Stress....

Ingrid

• Posted

Ingrid,

Please don't apologize for asking questions. I love helping people. Remember, I am a nurse practitioner. Usually one becomes a nurse to help people.

As you are taking all the

precautions, ie coverage of the rash, I doubt that she will contract chickenpox. Do you live in the UK or States? Many have been vaccinated. You are correct that she would be contagious prior to showing symptoms.

I would let it play out. Is there a reason she hasn't been vaccinated against chickenpox? I would strongly consider it as I would never wish what I have on anyone.

Ask away, my fellow sufferer! LOL

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello Merry

, I wonder if you can tell me about  the after effects after 6 weeks, of shingles in the eye? my eyes have been checked a lot in the last few weeks at the eye clinic, but now I have double vision in the other eye for about 30 minutes when i wake up in the morning, is this likely to be due to taking pregabalin as it is a side effect? I have an appointment next Tuesday at the eye clinic, but am wondering if it is more urgent than that!

• Posted

Jane,

I checked the adverse effects of pregabalin, and double vision is listed at 12% of the population. As it disappears after 30 minutes, it is a good sign. I am hoping you can get off the drug. I take Topamax, which is also an anticonvulsant, and came out way before pregabalin. It works so well I would never switch. Are you still having a lot of pain?

Merry Juliana

• Posted

No, only my head is still very sensitive , ok as long as i don't touch it! In fact today is the first day that i didn't need any painkillers until around 3pm! I have been told that the neuralgia could go on for months so I have to learn to live with it, My dr rang me tonight as I was worried about my vision, he thinks i have probably been overdoing things and that I am just tired ( probably true) he wants me to carry on with the pregabalin for now, but I am only taking 3 a day, thank you for your concern,

• Posted

Jane,

I am happy to help you. Shingles is very scary. I know from experience. It is a process of healing. Please rest this weekend. When I overdo it, the recurrent Zoster is more aggressive.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Yes,I will take it easy, I am looking forward to the weekend, it's my Son's 40th Birthday on Monday so we are going out on Sunday for a meal with his wife, my two gorgeous little Grandchildren and my other son!
    • Posted

Jane,

Enjoy the time with your precious family!

Have fun!

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I understand you are worried  but  if your child has NOT had chicken pox  she cant  catch it..  but check with your doctor ... I work in a school senior and I could not return to school  for 2 months or go near any one who was pregnant.   I dont want to give you bad advice but phone your doctor please  I wish you well, your PHN is in the same /simular area as mine

Take care   Jocelyne  Cambridge area  UK

• Posted

Thank you, I just want to ask you what I can take for the itching which is driving me CRAZY once it starts, it's one side of my scalp and on my right temple and corner of my eye, so it gets really sore if I start scratching it! There just doesn't seem to be any relief from in especially at night! Any ideas apart from a cold flannel which I can't keep on my head all day! I'd be so grateful for any advice!! Thank you.
    • Posted

Jane,

You may take Benadryl, diphenhydramine generic, if you have no preexisting conditions. Also, oatmeal compress will help sooth the itching. I would buy OTC Bactine wound spray as long as it is not placed near your eyes. It has a numbing medication that will quiet the nerves that are firing. If the Benadryl OTC still doesn't relieve the itching, ask your physician for Doxepin. It is a heavy duty prescription medication that dermatologists use for severe itching. Let me know how you do, please.

All the best

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Merry, my rash seems to be getting less, however i do still experience discomfort, I have finished my antiviral meds... I am debating if i should get more meds or wait it out? What aee your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Ingrid

• Posted

Ingrid,

Healing from Herpes Zoster-Shingles is a process that involves tincture of time. As the rash is resolving, you can expect itching to still occur. Did you obtain Benadryl -diphenhydramine OTC, and if so, has it worked? More antivirals will not change the course of the shingles. If you are still bothered by the itching, or have increase in pain, you might ask the physician for Neurontin or Lyrica. Either might decrease the neuron sensitivity and therefore your discomfort. Also, the other anti-itch medication Doxepin or Sinequan is highly effective. It is by prescription only

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Merry,

Good point.... I have not thought of other meds, I haven't experienced the itchy part yet, sigh, only pressure n slight discomfort. .. although I have started to get sniffles n little ear discomfort but had a cough for a lkng while now. I really don't know what to think....

Ingrid

• Posted

Ingrid,

If you are experiencing more pain, please see a physician and ask for Opioids. Herpes Zoster-Shingles is considered one of the most excruciating conditions known to man. If it isn't being managed by NSAIDS, please see someone tomorrow. I know I literally wanted to cut out my right ear the first time I had Herpes Zoster-Shingles. It took three weeks and four physicians before one finally diagnosed it correctly. I know the suffering, and it isn't worth it!

Please keep me posted!

Merry Juliana

• Posted

The itching is awful once it starts, especially at night! Another thing I have noticed is lack of energy, I get tired much faster than I did before and i was diagnosed 7 weeks ago! It isn't just the itching, as all that area is still so sensitive to the touch, even when brushing hair etc, and first of all I had the feeling like a small electric shock that went through my whole body if I even touched my nose! I am off to the eye clinic this morning for a check up, as I have been getting slight double vision after waking, which corrects itself after about 30 minutes thank goodness, So far my eyes have not been affected with vision loss, which is lucky as i did have it in my right eye, I could write a book on all the different stages of this horrible virus, and the pain it causes! Sorry for everyone who gets it!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.