Shingles

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, I have been batteling shingles off and on for over a year..does anyone know why...they are on my lower back and usually only on one side or the other..ithanks

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Patti, when you say "batteling" do you mean you still have pain or are you getting re-occurances of a rash? You can get shingles multiple times, despite common opinion. But I wonder if you mean that you still have pain or discomfort. I've got the same issue, but upper back and chest which is caused by PHN Post Herpatic Neuralgia. That means there's damage to the nerves. No-one can say how long that will last and sometimes, sorry to say, it doesn't go away. In my case, the pain is much less than when I had the worst pain, but I'm still on a pretty high dose of Gabapentin (medication which helps with nerve pain) and am using Lidocaine 4% OTC pain cream, and trying not to over-do my activities.

Also, the pain SHOULD be on only one side of the body, but believe me, I seem to get a similar pain on the opposite side, just not as regularly. I haven't found an answer to that, but I'll just call it confused nerves.

• Posted

Only getting recurring shingles on one side is a myth right along with the idea that you can only get them once! There are many different strains of this aweful virus.
    • Posted

Hi Babs, Thanks for your input!I usually only get the rash..and shooting pains up my back now and then....The dr advised me to take an antiviral medications the rest of my life...but it makes me sick....So tired of these drs telling me it is not normal to keep getting these back..I do feel crappy when I get the outbursts...Also  I have been using the cream..Seems like I have been getting them once a week...I can put up with the pain...it is the feeling like crap when I get them....again..thank you!! Have A wonderful day!!
    • Posted

The dr told me there is no test for this...When I do get them...which is often...I just feel so crappy..I can put up with the pain..but feeling exhausted is the part I hate...I use to work out daily...but some days I dont even have the energy to do that..do you know of any natrual things you can do for these dreadful shingles?  Thanks so much for you reply!
    • Posted

Hi Babs, As I said i dont have a lot of pain..shooting pains when I actually have the shingles ..and rarley pains when I dont have the actual shingles....One goes away ...then it seems as though another pops out...I think in the past year I have only not had them for a  month...I usually get clusters of them...They start out as a rash..then they get a head on them...then after a day...they look purplish for a day or 2..then another one seems to appear ..they are only on my lower back in the middle and right side..
  • Posted

See a doctor get th eimmunization shot can still have it if not already. It will lesson the dipuration and seriousness. Taking antiviral? 

I have battled itbfor over 10!years . The immunization shot helped a lot. Others here have good suggestions retool!

• Posted

HI Hoe4cure I have been seeing my dr...he put me on antivirul...and it makes me sick!! I asked him about the shot...and he said I can not get it when you have the shingles..outbreak...seems as though one week I have them ...get rid of them...and they come right back....Thanks so much for  your reply....have a wonderful day!!
    • Posted

Regarding the immunization shot, I have been told to wait a year after a breakout to get the shot, however my sceond outbreak was at 9 months and this current outbreak was 10 months. My doctor does not seem to know about a lesser time frame. My original outbreak was lower back, around right side, around stomach, up abdomen just past belly button. Blisters and pain, fatigue lasted 6 weeks, then the pain in stomach/back and fatgue another 6 weeks. My second and third outbreak was and is extreme fatigue, but thankfully the blister/rash is only a patch on my tailbone. For me its the fatigue that is dibilitating. I eat very well and take Lysine. Any other suggestions are welcome!
    • Posted

The dr told me I could not get the shot ....when having the outbreaks...It seems as though  just get rid of them and they come right back...does anyone know whe reason for this....getting scared there is something seriously wrong!!  I can put up with the pain..it is the feeling exhausted part...that I hate..I use to work out every day..and some days I just feel drained...Thanks for much for your input!!
    • Posted

The dr told me I had to be free of the shingles..in which It seems I get rid of them and the next week they are back..This has been going on for over a year...Mine, thank God are only on my lower back as well as my tailbone.. Seems as though I keep reading it is not normal to keep getting these back...The dr recommended I take the antiviral meds the rest of my life..but they make me very sick!! I can put up with the pain...it is the extreme tiredness that is dibilatating as well...I use to work out every day and I to...eat well .....but there are days where I am so exhausted..that it is impossible for my to go to the gym.. Thanks so much for your feedback!!
  • Posted

Hello Patti, I really feel for you that you're dealing with reoccurring shingles symptoms. I have been suffering with shingles & PHN since Nov 2013. My first attack was on my left side followed by an outbreak on my right side. I understand how frustrating it is when Doctors don't treat this hideous virus aggressively in the first place. I was misdiagnosed both times & did not receive any antiviral medication within the first 72 hours. Stress definitely causes the neuralgia to be more severe. Believe it or not I found some relief applying horse linament to the area. Lol. At the time I was desperate to stop the burning pain. I've had some relief from DMSO as well. Do you have any other issues like thyroid or low cortisol? Might pay to have a thorough blood test to check for any imbalances. It might help to check for any underlying autoimmune problems. I hope things improve for you soon.

Blessings to you.

Nic (from Australia)

• Posted

Hi Kitty, thanks so much for the information!! I just had my physical 3 months ago..thats when my dr told me I would have to  take the ati viral meds for the rest of my life...I wold not have a problem with that..except they make me dizzy and sick to my stomach...Did you get the shingles vaccine...I was told I would have to be clear of the shingles for a year...and it seems as though I keep getting outbursts..and haave been.on and off for a year now..Thinking maybe I need to find a dr who specializes in autoimmune diseases.. Do you still get them and are you taking meds? Thanks again for the info!!
    • Posted

Patti, do you mean take the anti-virals on a daily basis or take them whenever you feel an outbreak coming on? There are many people, unfortunately, who do take them on a regular basis to fend off the worst of it. I don't know if it will help, but like my Gab, it says take with or without food. I had a lot of dizziness and confusion whith my Gab, as i took it on an empty stomach, before my meal. Several friends said stop that, you have to take them with food! I changed it to taking them at the end of my meals and I had fewer side effects.

• Posted

Hi Babs,thanks for your response... the dr told me to take the anti-virals for the rest of my life...daily..I did try taking them with food and they still made me sick..The medicine is called Valacyclovir 1mg. Still so confused as to why I keep getting these and the drs never seem to have an answer ..the first time i had them was back in February 2016 and they come and go on a monthly basis..so so confused.and frusterated..I dont really get a lot of pain..sometimes shooting pain up my back but not often...it is the itching and the tiredness is mainly my symptoms....the drs act as thought this is a new disease ..I am always getting different answers from nurses dr's etc...

• Posted

I know someone who does take Valtryx daily and it has greatly decreased her outbreaks. Others in this forum have had good luck changing their diet. The avoid nuts, chocolate and other foods. Look here for info regarding lysine.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info Babs, I think I might try taking them again..hopefully the horrible side effects will go away... I tried taking them for a week and I felt sick and dizzy!! Not sure which of the 2 are more evil, the pills or the shingles! Have a great day!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.