Shingles

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with Shingles.First GP dismissed me as having a virus.A different doctor today diagnosed shingles in seconds.Its in right  hand side of my head.Affecting my eyebrow-lumpy intensely itchy rash.Right eyelid and corners of eye intensely itchy and sore..Intensely itchy forehead and scalp,Rash and scabs on forehead and large bumps on head.Lymph glands all up.I did have shooting pains inside my mouth but these have stopped .Been given anti histamine tablets=Fexofenadine hydrochloride-30 days worth.Nothing on internet about this as a treatment.How long do I leave it beforereturning to GP?.Can I dye my hair.?I exercise daily-dance,gym,tennis,cardio tennis.Is    this OK?I'm 74

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Barbara. I hope Merry will see this and jump on here she is a wealth of knowledge on shingles. The meds you mention are not familiar. You need anti-viral meds I take Acyclovir or Valtrex. You will need narcotic pain meds. I have had full blown shingles twice and I am constantly fighting them off with the meds. Since they are right at your eye you must call an Opthalmologist immediately and tell them you have shingles in your eye they will understand the emergency of the matter. Call docs. Diane
    • Posted

Thank you,Adidiane.I rather hoped Merry would see this.The young GP I saw this morning seemed to think that 9 days on there was treatment that would no longer be effective.He prescribed Opatanol eyedrops and said symptoms should subside very soon after taking the tablets.The GP I saw on  Day 5didn't pick up that I had shingles.I think he should have.He just sent me away with-You hve a virus -it will go

• Posted

I am a 70 year old non medically qualified British male. I had the symptoms down the right side of my face, 3 months ago. I was given an urgent - same day - ophthalmic eye check, and put instantly on anti-virals. They also gave me Fexofenadine to reduce the swelling around my right eye, which was half closed. Also I have been on various pain killers such as 30/500 CoCodamol and Tramadol. `Merry' is the best bet for Shingles advice here, as she is a Nurse, I think in the USA.

• Posted

Thank you,Colin. I'm in London.Was /is your eye OK?Are you recovered now?I am not in pain now.When I saw my own GP last week I had shooting pains like toothache where I have no teeth.He just said go to the dentist

• Posted

Thanks for mentioning the tramadol, I take it the first few days of a break out. It not only relieves some of the pain but keeps my stress level down, which is so important when battling shingles. Also I hope others try francense oil (pure form), to use topically, it really eased the inflammation. Hope you continue to heal and have a great day! Gayleen (BC Canada).
    • Posted

Barbara - yes, luckily my eyeball was OK, but you must get yours checked over immediately. I went to the LIster hospital in Stevenage - the urgent eye care Dept. They were excellent. Otherwise, what about Moorfields ?

The first week, on anti virals, the pain was not a problem. After that it has been variable, I still have redness and numbness on my right nose, right upper lip, and right forehead. It really feels like someone has had a go at my affected skin with a pan scourer ! The Doc says it will get better in time ...... we shall see. All the best,Colin.

• Posted

Thanks Colin.I'll phone this GP tomorrow and see if he would refer me to Moorfields-not far from me.My own GP failed to diagnose this  classic shingles last Friday and the young GP I saw today seemed to be saying that anti virals need to be taken in the first week.I'll be checking that with him too if this intense itching-head ,forehead and eye continues overnight.My eye isn't swollen as yours was but itchy and sore on the eyelid and in the corners of the eye.

Hope you are soon back to full health

• Posted

Barbara - you may not need a GP referral for the urgent eye clinic ? The chap behind me at the Lister was a Builder, who had not seen a GP ! All the best, Colin.
    • Posted

I got the impression that there were lots of nerves in the face. My GP was not surprised when I told I had some loss of feeling in my upper right jaw ....... neither was the Dentist when he re-fixed a crown for me. regards, Colin
    • Posted

Hi there Gayleen. I have ordered some frankincense (spelling ?) oil. What do you use to apply it ?

Thanks again, Colin.

• Posted

Hello Colin, Yes you have the spelling correct. When I use my cellphone...(dreadful things)....the auto correct keeps changing words at random...

For application just use a cotton swab, or if you have disposable poly gloves...hope it works. I have reoccurring shingles and I put it on immediately and have had good results. Have a great day! Gayleen

• Posted

Hello Barbara, I'm surprised you were not immediately prescribed valacyclovir or one like it. It's the usual medication to start when you first have a break out. Second do not dye your hair, you need to heal first. You don't want the rash to spread. Taking lysine is very helpful as well. Any health food store or vitamin isle will carry it. Maintain a very healthy diet as shingles affects your immune system . It will be 3 years in April since my first breakout and I have reoccurring shingles but my continual quest for good health has helped this dreadful episodes. Good luck and hope this is your only breakout. Gayleen

• Posted

Thank you,Gayleen.I am surprised at my prescription.I will go back to doctor and query this if no difference in a couple of days.

I do have a very healthy diet-but apparently need to stop the orange/grapefruit/apple juice while taking the fexofenadine hydrochloride.

I hope that you don't have any more breakouts

• Posted

I am a 70 year old non medically qualified British male. I had the symptoms down the right side of my face, 3 months ago. I was given an urgent - same day - ophthalmic eye check, and put instantly on anti-virals. They also gave me Fexofenadine to reduce the swelling around my right eye, which was half closed. Also I have been on various pain killers such as 30/500 CoCodamol and Tramadol. `Merry' is the best bet for Shingles advice here, as she is a Nurse, I think in the USA.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.