Shingles...again!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was 45 years old, when I had my first bout of shingles, starting on the left side of my back, side/ribs, and stomach.  I called my physician right away and he prescribed Valacyclovir. The quick response resulted in limited amount of pain and itching, as well as further breakout.  I had extreme fatigue and malaise, missing 7 days of work!

Most recently, 3 days ago, I had some itching and swelling on the left side of my lip. I simply thought that I had a pimple, which is rare for me as I have great complexion.  I realized when I woke up that it was shingles again; pain, tingling, and increased swelling! Again, I called my physician who prescribed the same medication.  Oddly enough, I also have pain in my left ear and my left eye feels a bit “gritty”; not sure if this is coincidental, or if I should be checked out. I know that it is common for one to get shingles in their eye, but can shingles actually be in your ear? The doctor will not even see me until Friday stating that it is only necessary to be seen if the problem worsens since I am taking the medication.

I have found many of the posts very interesting, as I too, like the more homeopathic remedies. Though I will take the medication as prescribed, I would like to know what to do to decrease the breakouts, if there is one! Has anyone ever heard of pasting natural honey on the blisters?

Thanks to everyone, I have enjoyed reading the posts.

Make it a great day!

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Tamara,

First, I am so sorry for the pain and suffering from the disease.

Yes, you can get Herpes Zoster-Shingles in your ear and eye, the two most complex areas of the body. If you are having a severe headache that is localizing in your ear, you probably have Herpes Zoster-Shingles Oticus.

If your eye starts getting red, painful, swollen, see an ophthalmologist that day! It is considered an emergency!

With shingles in your ear, it often affects several dermatomes, including the facial nerve. You can get a facial droop affecting your eye. If you cannot close your eye completely, use lubricant eye drops during the day and ointment at night. Tape your eye shut at night.

It also affects the auditory nerve, hence the pain in the ear...it can affect your hearing and balance.

It also affects the cranial nerves of your mouth and tongue.

Fortunately, you started Valcyclovir immediately, so hopefully none of these issues will happen.

I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles Oticus, also called Ramsey Hunt Syndrome when a facial droop occurs, every three to five weeks for the past twenty years. My first episode was horrible as the first two ENTs thought I was narcotic seeking. It took three weeks before the vesicle-blisters appeared on my ear canal.

Did you have the pre-eruptive symptoms, such as headache, fever, chills and sweating, aches and pains, malaise and fatigue?

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States.

I also use honey on my face, but professionally am unable to recommend it. It is soothing.

Also, please google Lysine-Arginine Diet. I know that when I gorged on peanuts, I suffered much more during the Herpes Zoster-Shingles episodes. Peanuts, a legume, are high in Lysine. I naturally eat foods high in Arginine.

I hope this helps you.

Best regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry. It's the "lady in the shoe". The diet, I believe is very important, and I'm sure you are doing it right. However, I have noticed you are communicating the importance of eating foods high in argenine. It is the opposite. Nuts are very high in argenine and all of us should not be eating them, along with chocolate!! Foods high in lysine is what we should be eating. I know you are doing this by expressing you are not eating peanuts, I just don't want people eating food high in argenine. Thanks for all you do for us??

• Posted

Hi Lady in the Shoe,

My mind is working in reverse, especially when I get Herpes Zoster-Shingles! sometimes....maybe all the time....

Thank you so much for the correction!

How to feel foolish...

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks so much for the reply. I had the following, fever, chills and sweating, aches and pains, malaise and fatigue...thankfully no head ache. Interestingly enough, I bought a bag of Almonds and had been eating them around the same time frame that I had this recent episode!

I beleive that my original issue began with a severe flare up of back pain; I have a herniated dis, L5 and bulging,L4. I went through 15-20 spinal decompression treatments and physical therapy. I was just in the final treatments when all of this began. Also, I don't know if this would have anything to do with the issues that I have now, but I had spinal meningitis when I was a baby.

Thank you for the advise about the diet. I look forward to be part of this group...support and knowledge is part of the battle.

Be blessed this day!

Tammy

• Posted

Please do not feel foolish! You are so helpful tonso many of us.

I had sent you a message a while back.....when i start feeling my symptoms, I start the acyclovir right away. I never know how long to take it??? I usually feel better after about 3 days. Should I keep taking it for 7-10???

• Posted

Michelle,

Absolutely, take 5 pills per day for 7 days. It will stop the virus from replicating and hopefully decrease the pain and intensity of the episode. I think I had responded to you, but I apologize...I have tried to cheat by taking the tablets for shorter duration than seven days, but then I get Herpes Zoster-Shingles in two weeks instead of three.

Some people find that Valcyclovir and Famciclovir more efficacious, ie work faster than Acyclovir. Acyclovir was the first drug, hence the one with the short duration of action- five times a day, ugh...

FAMVIR, Famciclovir is the most efficacious for me, but I also prefer the smaller tablets. Herpes Zoster-Shingles in the ear and mouth causing swelling, and therefore, difficulty swallowing....LOL... always something....

You are so helpful to so many of us...does Greek yogurt help with dry skin? I know that you are much younger than I am... Ingesting Yogurt precipitates Migraines in me, so I never buy it anymore...

You are indeed a treasure... I love the description of the "Shoe Lady".

Laughing Always...

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I would not recommend it for dry skin! It seems to dry my rash out. But, I do know coconut oil and frankincense essential oil is very helpful for skin problems. Put about 3 drops per 1 tbsp coconut oil. I would tell you which brand essential oils to use but the site won't let me. Research the purest essential tested and start there.

Hope you are having a blessed day

?? Lady in the shoe

Ps: you were the one that turned my thinking around from OLD lady in the shoe. Thank you for that. Power of the mind.....

• Posted

Michelle,

Please Send the brand name of frankincense oil in private email message envelope (top right). Then you become the uncensored and smart lady with the pretty shoes!

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Merry, you absolutely must not feel foolish! We're sorry you gave it so oftensad We're so grateful for your help! This forum has helped me the most! I'm considering trying the vaccine- is the new one available in the USA yet? I ate lots of chocolate with my most recent outbreak - and I felt the worst - I never knew I should avoid it now - so thanks to you all for helping us learn 👍💐💕

• Posted

Elsabe,

Thank you, Elsabe...

I am happy Michelle wrote to me and kindly corrected me...no, l haven't heard a peep about Shingrex, the new vaccine, and I am on certain medical lists regarding news such as this.... believe me, when I hear...read it, I shall post it here STAT...

Thank you for your kind words..

I would love to meet all the lovely people I have written to.

You are, I hope, feeling ?

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry Juliana - thanks for keeping us posted about the vaccine. I think I'll get the current one in the hopes it will help me. I took a second week of Valcyclovir ( generic for Valtrex? Not sure how to spell it!) and the last few days I've been feeling normal again - thanks for asking, Also trying to follow a diet higher in Lysine, as well as lysine capsules - 2000mg - not sure how much I should take!

Hope you're feeling better too! 💐👍😀

• Posted

I heard the new one is coming out at the end of 2016 - beginning of 2017. Supposedly, the efficacy is 92% compared to the current 54%. You may want to wait?????
    • Posted

Hi Merry

Its Christine from NZ

It is just over a year since I had my Shingles.

I am still waiting for an MRI to check there is nothing at the back of my ear, although i didnt have the shingles on that side. The ENT doctor said he thinks it might have attacked my brain stem  from the other side.

My Balance is still not good but not sure if it is caused by the shingles.

What I would like to know is should I have the shingles injection.

I thought I would be immune by now.  I do hear conflicting reports on the injection and it is so expensive.

Christine

• Posted

Hi Elsabe!

Your spelling of Valcyclovir/Valtrex is spot on!

Regarding Lysine, the supplement is contraindicated if you have kidney and liver disease, and higher doses are associated with atherosclerosis, ( hardening of the arteries.) The recommended dosage is 500-1500 mg daily.

Shingrex is still on track for submission for approval to the FDA this year.

I'm glad you are doing better.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Christine,

Where do you live and where was your rash and pain?

My balance is also poor due to Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear.

The newer vaccine Shingrex is poised to be submitted to the FDA very soon now, as it was just announced a week ago by Glaxo-Smith-Kline. It is 91% efficacious as opposed to 53-37% efficacy rating of Zostavax, the older vaccine. You might want to wait as this will be definitely more efficacious.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry

I am in New Zealand, I spoke to you last year in August . My shingles was on my shoulder and face . I also had bells palsy.

we are quite behind in NZ and only have Zostervax so I think I will wait until we get the new one.

do you think is a good idea ?? I am73 this year .

• Posted

Christine,

Christine,

I remember you, but I am sorry I can't keep track of where everyone's rashes were. Actually, if you had Herpes Zoster-Shingles on your face near your ear and/or mouth, you had Ramsay Hunt Syndrome, not Belle's Palsy.

Did the facial droop resolve?

I have Ramsay Hunt Syndrome every three to five weeks, and I am aware Belle's Palsy is often diagnosed mistakenly, when people have Ramsay Hunt Syndrome, ie Herpes Zoster-Shingles Oticus.

If I had to choose which vaccine to get, and wait six months before I get the vaccine, (& I am guessing on the time frame regarding availability for distribution to NZ and US) I would get the Shingrex. As you are 73, the Zostavax unfortunately doesn't show good efficacy for the older age groups @37% . The Shingrex has an adjuvant that gives it an extra boost that might benefit those of us from getting recurring Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

Zostavax really hasn't shown that benefit.

Glaxo-Smith-Kline just announced this week that it is on track for bringing Shingrex to the FDA for approval in 2016. It is almost October...three months to bring to the FDA and UK, and I think it will be fast tracked...

I hope I have answered your question.

Best wishes to you

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry

yes you did answer my question thank you.

I did have Ramsay Hunt and the facial droop healed quite quickly . I did have to see the opthamologist for a while with eye .

it has taken a year for me to get a appt to see the ENT and an MRI to make sure there is nothing behind my ear to cause the balance problem.

I was very deaf on that side and had to get hearing aids.

thanks for all your help

• Posted

Christine,

I was exceptionally deaf, but some of my hearing came back...I read lips very well

I am grateful for closed captioning on TV.

I dislike noisy restaurants..

All my best

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Merry Juliana,

I just wanted to say that I'm so grateful for all your knowledge and genuine concern you have for everyone in this forum! I hope that you are doing well today.

Terry

• Posted

Terry,

Thank you so much for your kind words... I am doing well, today...

MERRY JULIANA

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.