Shingles...again!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was 45 years old, when I had my first bout of shingles, starting on the left side of my back, side/ribs, and stomach.  I called my physician right away and he prescribed Valacyclovir. The quick response resulted in limited amount of pain and itching, as well as further breakout.  I had extreme fatigue and malaise, missing 7 days of work!

Most recently, 3 days ago, I had some itching and swelling on the left side of my lip. I simply thought that I had a pimple, which is rare for me as I have great complexion.  I realized when I woke up that it was shingles again; pain, tingling, and increased swelling! Again, I called my physician who prescribed the same medication.  Oddly enough, I also have pain in my left ear and my left eye feels a bit “gritty”; not sure if this is coincidental, or if I should be checked out. I know that it is common for one to get shingles in their eye, but can shingles actually be in your ear? The doctor will not even see me until Friday stating that it is only necessary to be seen if the problem worsens since I am taking the medication.

I have found many of the posts very interesting, as I too, like the more homeopathic remedies. Though I will take the medication as prescribed, I would like to know what to do to decrease the breakouts, if there is one! Has anyone ever heard of pasting natural honey on the blisters?

Thanks to everyone, I have enjoyed reading the posts.

Make it a great day!

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've heard raw honey and lavender essential oil works well, but I really like pure, plain Greek yougurt and the highest percent zinc oxide you can find. Mix those 1/2 and 1/2. It is very soothing to me and helps clear it up. I'm also trying increased vit c, red algea, vit b complex, and curamin. I've only been using these for a month, and i have had some shingles symptoms that I get often still. I'm hoping this regimen starts helping in a couple months. Keeping my fingers crossed. Take care

• Posted

Michelle,

As I have extremely dry skin, eczema, and now am on a estrogen depleting drug for breast cancer, I use raw honey and olive oil in my face, arms, and hands. It truly helps with the rashy skin...

Zinc oxide is wonderful for lesions, as well...

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Michelle,

Thanks so much. I too, use zinc oxide as well as Vit B Complex along with Drenamin and Superfood. I have never heard of curamin, so I am going to check that out. 

Make it a great day!

• Posted

Oh yeah, I use this stuff called adreno max that has the drenamin in it too. Keep me posted if you find out anything else that works.
  • Posted

Tamara,

I made a mistake...

Eat a diet high in LYSINE, NOT Arginine....

So sorry to confuse you....

Merry Juliana

• Posted

No worries, Thanks, again. I have some homework to do after reading all of this information regarding shingles.
  • Posted

I just want to say that I'm sorry you are going through this. I've suffered from recurrent shingles outbreaks for 2/3 of my life. I'm 33, but my first outbreak occurred when I was 11 right after I recovered from rheumatic fever. My first outbreak was by far the worst with the outbreak covering the entire left side of my face and covered the the back of my head and the majority of the left side of my back. I've had a minimum of 4 and up to 10 outbreaks a year since then. Most of the time it is around my left eye and cheek (a few times affecting the back side of my eyelid or nose). I have had it on my legs, arms, and back a few times too.

It's aweful to deal with, but I finally started researching more when my daughter started having the outbreaks. She was just 7 when she had her first outbreak and at 9 is currently on her 5th. She had it twice on the left side of her back, twice around her left eye, and once on her chin and neck. She's been undergoing some testing in the last week since the last two outbreaks were just 28 days apart so hopefully we have more answers soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.