Shingles again!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, I have been dealing with shingles for over a year now...Can anyone tell me if it is common to get them on both sides of your body? I feel extremley exhausted ..very lethargic! I usually do not experience pain whatsoever..just itching and this time very exhaused (not so much tired) and lethargic.. I have a few on my lower back..closs to my butt.(in a line).on the left side...and a patch on my butt on the lower right side...was just wondering if this is normal..to get it on both sides....thanks...

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not in my experience patti or to be more accurate reading about them says shingles normally occur on one side of the body usually in a straight line
    • Posted

Thank you, everything I read, as well, states it is only on one side...but then I just read it can occur on both side...so frustrating...all the dr's act like this is a new disease.....

• Posted

Does not seem like the professional field is very experienced about shingles..

• Posted

When I had shingles my GP said take these anti viral 5 times a day for 5 days,take 2-3 Amitriptyline at night,I found myself almost begging for something for the severe pain ,I even bought a tens machine so desperate was I,I think you're right,there's not a lot known about it I'm afraid ,even now when I feel the slightest twinge in my right shoulder,I panic,I've never suffered such excruciating pain before,ever!

• Posted

Very frustrating for me..because I really don't have the pain....just feeling lethargic and exhaused...I did take meds...but they made me sick..my dr wanted me to take the anit viral the rest of my life..makes no sense to me...after a while your body gets ammuned to them...and they don't help...When I was taking them ..like I said they make me sick and did not help anyways...I think I am going to try and see a dematologist...hopefully I will get more answers....thanks again!!

• Posted

N.B

when I had them someone on this very helpful  site suggested Olive leaf extract,these helped me enormously 

• Posted

I have only had them on one side ( right backside and right side the back of my head). I understand feeling lethargic and extremely tired... the only advice I can offer is take lysine, b12 sublingual drops, vitamin c and sleep a lot. I usually get tingles then extremely tired and take all those supplements and by day 4 feeling better.
  • Posted

Dear Pattitracy,

Herpes Zoster Shingles can occur on both sides of the midline, though not as often. It usually occurs on on side of your body in a dermatome distribution, but in certain individuals can cross the midline. The fatigue and exhaustion certainly are part of symptoms of shingles.

For the itching, you might try Solarcaine with aloe. It contains Lidocaine to numb the area and Aloe to soothe the lesions. Many have had relief of their itching with this combination.

I hope this helps you.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks Merry, My understanding is that it travels the nerve endings...The one's I have on my waistline are on the left side ..and the other cluster of them are down low on my butt cheek on the right side. So so confused

• Posted

Hi!

The medical knowledge regarding Herpes Zoster Shingles is often outdated.

Many medical professionals are abysmally ignorant that individuals can have Herpes Zoster Shingles occur bilaterally (both sides) and also have recurrent episodes.

Your left waist rash is on the sensory nerve root T12-L1.

Your right buttock rash is probably S2.

Key

T-Thorax

L-Lumbar

S-Sacrum

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Pattitracy,

Please also Google Herpes and follow high Lysine low Arginine diet. My episodes of Herpes Zoster Shingles in my right ear are much less painful and slightly less frequent since I have followed this.

I hope this helps you!

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Patti,

I to have extreme exhaustion and find it hard sometimes even to brush my teeth.

It is so overwhelming.

I have had reaccuring episodes for at least two years now and sometimes find it hard to know when an episode is starting and another is finishing. It can be very confusing.

Luckily I have very little pain, but with this last episode I was not so lucky.

It can feel very isolating and people around seem to get used to it and treat you as if you have just another cold or something similar.

I usually have it on my butt cheek area but sometimes I

have a couple of blisters on my face.

Other themes I have no rash at all ... very confusing.

Wishing you all the best.

Ali.

• Posted

Hi Alinight!

You are so correct regarding the fatigue and exhaustion and not knowing really where one episode ends and the next one begins. My 21 year old cat Jupiter loves it as I snuggle on the couch with him in the sun.

The patients truly know more about this disease, the presentation with all its symptoms, & the necessity for great pain meds, anti-itch meds, antidepressants, etc, and a non judgmental physician.

I am sorry you you keep going through this process.

Please know I am here for you anytime.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Ali, how long does this exhaustion usually last..as I said..I have been gettting reacurring shingles since  a year ago February, I dont ever remember feeling this exhausted...I dont really have pain or much itching...it is this lethargic and exhastion that I am dealing with...started on Tuesday...thanks again!!
    • Posted

Hi Patti,

It's difficult to say. It is only very recently I realised that I had shingles after years of suffering with exhaustion. It was only when I visited the doctor and mentioned having odd blisters that I finally found out what it was. I've had so many re occurrences that it's hard to untangle. Sometimes I'm exhausted for a couple of weeks and then have a week or ten days feeling more 'normal'.

I have to say that I am also going through the menopause and have problems with low thyroid issues which is an even more confusing!!,

Luckily we have each other on this forum to keep us going.

I am finally modifying my diet (which I believe is very important, I'm slightly overweight but not much) ... and as something of a chocoholic ... have given up eating the stuff, and cutting down in sugar

... so will see if that makes a difference.

I'm determined to get my life back.

All the best to you and remember, you are not alone.

Ali x

• Posted

Hi again Merry,

Thank you so much for your kind words. This forum has helped me a great deal.

I wonder how many people out there are suffering from M.E and have not been diagnosed by ill informed doctors?

I have suffered for many years without realising what the cause of so many odd symptoms and extreme exhaustion were due to.

Many thanks for being such a star.

Love Ali. xx

• Posted

Oops ... My last reply didn't sound very clear . What I meant is that some people who have been told they have M.E may well have Shingles. As it took many years to be diagnosed myself. (I don't always have blisters or may only have a couple)

• Posted

Dear Alinight,

Hopefully, giving up chocolate will help as it is high in arginine.

I believe M.E. or CFS is often used as a catch all diagnosis by physicians who don't do an excellent history, physical, and work up. Herpes Zoster Shingles, Lyme Disease and other Tick born associated Diseases, lumbar and cervical stenosis, lupus are certainly some of the diseases that cone to mind.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Does anyone know if a low grade fever is normal with the shingles? Thanks
    • Posted

Yes, Pattitracy

Accompany symptoms can include low grade fever, chills and sweating, aches and pains, malaise, headache, photophobia, fatigue and exhaustion, and swollen lymph nodes adjacent to the rash and pain. There are many others, depending on the location of the pain.

The fatigue and exhaustion and depression can last months after the rash and pain have disappeared.

This is a malicious virus that attacks your entire body and being and your central nervous system It just isn't a little rash and some pain.

Best Wishes in

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Should have read.. *My phone is a smarty pants LOL)

"Accompanying symptoms"

"Best Wishes in Healing"

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.