Shingles again!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, I have been dealing with shingles for over a year now...Can anyone tell me if it is common to get them on both sides of your body? I feel extremley exhausted ..very lethargic! I usually do not experience pain whatsoever..just itching and this time very exhaused (not so much tired) and lethargic.. I have a few on my lower back..closs to my butt.(in a line).on the left side...and a patch on my butt on the lower right side...was just wondering if this is normal..to get it on both sides....thanks...

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have had shingles on both sides of my body popping up pretty much all the time for the last couple of years. I'm 70 now and had my first very painful outbreak at 17. A couple more outbreaks in my fifties but now I'm plagued with the things although I'm getting better and better at spotting (ha!) The first signs so itching and nerve pains are more of a problem than the lesions. So my sites have been round the waist, at different times each shoulder, each arm, a breast, face and for years I've had nerve problems in one eat, now tinnitus all the time, which I believe has been caused by shingles. I have had a recurring crusty spot in my ear. So yes, you can get shingles on both sides of your body although medical wisdom states it's usually one. I'm looking for alternative treatments now - I'm sick of the antivirals which in high doses make me feel terrible. I take a low dose all the time which seemed to work for a while but not now. Tried the high doses of Lysine and other vitamins but didn't think it worked for me and upset my stomach. I've also tried acupuncture which I think works very well for post herpetic neuralgia but it didn't stop the occurrences. I have had diabetes since I was 28 but am otherwise healthy, go swimming and walking. Sometimes a doctor says I have a compromised immune system but that doesn't help me! Any other treatments you posters have tried?

• Posted

Went to the Er on Sunday..finially a dr is testing the sore! Now he says he does not think it is Shingles...same dr who initially told me it was shingles...Does Anyone know how long it takes to get the results back....thank you!!
    • Posted

Alos, I read on another post..that ice is suppose to kill it ....they say the first sign of the sores ..to put ice on it...becasue shingles thrive on heat..not sure if this works or not....Just a suggestion...anyone else heard of this?
    • Posted

Hi Nicwhit!

I also have recurrent episodes of Herpes Zoster Shingles, every three to five weeks in my right ear for the past twenty-one years and twice in my right eye.

I don't take Lysine, but do follow high Lysine low Arginine diet, which has helped decrease the frequency of the episodes and the severity of the pain.

I also avoid the sun by wearing a hat and cotton long sleeved shirt in the summer.

I live in Delaware, US on the Atlantic Coast where it is 95° F sunny, hot and sometimes humid. I am also immunocompromised. I eat healthy foods. I found that taking a maintenance antiviral did not help prevent Herpes Zoster Shingles, nor did having Zostavax, the vaccine, but that was like shutting the barn door after all the cows had escaped.

When I have a severe episode, I do take the antiviral as it does help shorten the length of the episode, and therefore the pain.

I am 65 years now. I found I tolerated Famciclovir much better than Valcyclovir. Valcyclovir was not that efficacious, and Acyclovir was never efficacious for me. I have Stage 3 Kidney Disease, and as you have Diabetes mellitus, I am certain that your kidneys are impaired, as well. The antivirals are excreted through the kidneys.

There is a new vaccine for shingles called Shingrex by GlaxoSmithKline submitted for approval by the FDA and UK's corresponding authority last autumn. It has an adjuvant that makes it more effective, 93% to 53%-37% Zostavax.

Whether it will work on us with recurrent episodes of Herpes Zoster Shingles remains to be seen.

• Posted

Thanks very much for your reply Merry. I am reviewing whether I bother to take Acyclovir daily with my doctor and have some blood tests scheduled. I'll talk to her about a change of antivirals for bad attacks and take another look at the Lysine rich diet sheet (which I have). I eat healthily and regularly ( because of my insulin regime) but I have had success with changing my diet in the past for chronic problems so I can give it a couple of months trial. I'm also trying Olive Leaf extract which has been recommended in online forums in the UK. May post separately on this to see if anyone has had results.

• Posted

Hi all, my test came back and they say I do have the shingles!!  Grr,, Really concerned!! Does anyone know if reacurring shingles is a sign you have cancer!. As I said I have been getting them for over a year at least once a month! Thanks!!
    • Posted

Hi pattitracy, I wouldn't worry too much unless you have other signs that make you think you have cancer. There seem to be lots of us out there with recurring shingles - I'm in the same position as you, two years with shingles once or twice a month. But I think it would be usual for your doctor to run some routine blood tests to see if there is any reason why your immune system is suppressed. Mine is doing this and I've had them done before and nothing nasty has showed up. It's so annoying and frustrating though! Painful and debilitating too.

• Posted

Pattitracy,

As Nic stated, don't worry about the cancer, as some of us on the forum have no underlying disease. Some of us are immunocompromised with autoimmune disorders, such as Lupus, ITP, Psoriasis, RA, etc, or have taken corticosteroids, or have IBS or diabetes. Rarely, some of us, usually the older ones have cancer. I am immunocompromised. I also, after 19 years with Herpes Zoster Shingles, was diagnosed with breast cancer, but with an excellent prognosis. I am 65 years old. I got my mammograms annually.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Does anyone know the differnce between shingles zoster 1 and 2?  Thank you
    • Posted

Pattitracy,

You are referring to Herpes simplex 1 & 2.

Herpes Zoster Shingles does not have

1 & 2. One type is bad enough.

Best Wishes and warm hugs....

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks Merry, was confused..need to stay off the internet...way to much information!!.thanks again!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.