Shingles and Flu Shot

Posted , 64 users are following.

Last year I developed a case of shingles shortly after getting my flu shot.  I read on this forum where somebody felt that their shingles might have been related to getting the flu shot.  I have not gotten a flu shot this fall and don’t know if there is a connection between the two or not.  I’m 74 and hate to skip getting the shot but I don’t want to risk a shingles relapse either.  I also wondered if I should get the new shingles shot, which I heard was more effective than the one I got several years ago.  Can anyone else weigh in on either of these issues?

8 likes, 114 replies

114 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Today I took my daughter to her doctor because she feels sick. In the waiting room, their television, which cycles relevant medical info, said this: "if you have never had the chickenpox, you should get the flu vaccine." Maybe the mainstream medical industry is catching up.

As for my own personal situation, I saw my doctor about the shingles and told her I'd received steroid shots right before and she immediately said "oooh no." She confirmed for me that the shots caused it, yet when I called the steroid doctor to ask whether he thought I should continue the treatments I got a lot of anger. I'm not planning to sue, I just want to know if I'm safe.

Interestingly, my doc stresses that I should get the shingles vax to help ameliorate future attacks.

• Edited

I have experienced Shingles for the second time following receipt of the vaccine. My primary doctor has allowed me to get 1/2 of the vaccine volume. Recently I relocated to another state, cross-country. Once again I received the vaccine and developed Shingles. When given 1/2 of the vaccine I didn't get the flu. Two years when I skipped the flu shot altogether I caught the flu.

It seems I have a sensitive immune system, and hyper-react to immunizations. I went to the ER and was given a script for Valtrex, an anti-viral. In addition to Shingles, my my hands and feet hurt terribly.

• Edited

It is definitely related. I had the flu vaccine for the first time in 2016 and developed shingles around 1 week after. My GP said it was extremely rare for someone my age to develop shingles, I was 37 then, healthy, no underlying health problems. The only thing that my GP thought could have caused it was flu vaccine which compromised my immune system whilst it was building antibodies in my body, thereby triggering shingles

• Edited

just recently my dear friend received the flu shot, two days later his forehead started with redness then next day, shingles. He's 72 , history of diabeties, well controlled. Good health, works, active. He was perfectly fine before the flu shot!

October 2020 , Connecticut

• Edited

My 12 year old son (yes, I said 12) got the Flumist vaccine a few weeks ago and a few days later developed the shingles. He had the chicken pox vaccine when he was younger but otherwise is healthy. Plus with Covid we have not been around people. I normally don't do the flu shot. I was guilted in to it at his physical. I will not do that again!

• Edited

same here. I had my flu shot on 09/29/20 and on 10/2 (friday) started to develop a burning sensation on my left side rib. I kept on rubbing it not knowing if I had hit myself somewhere. Then the next day, i saw a small bruise come up on the side of my rib. Thinking that the bruise is related some issue with spleen(after googling), i went to urgent care and was diagnosed with mild shingles. Neither I nor my parents remember that i had chicken pox. By the way i'm a 38 yr old, healthy female, very active.So not sure if this again a coincidence or flu shot related. I was prescribed with antibiotic Valacyclovir(3 times a day) for 7 days. I've completed that course. I've also been applying neem powder and turmeric powder mixed in water on those patches. I hardly had 2 or 3 mild ones all the way traversing till the middle if the spine. But i should say, even though medds seem to have helped,stabbing pain has been there and increasing in the night causing sleeplessness. I'm on week 2 now. lets see how long it goes and the next steps!!

• Edited

I received the flu shot and within 24 hours developed symptoms of Shingles. I went to doctor and confirmed I have shingles. I am not in the age group to develop shingles. The only thing i did was get a flu shot out of normal routine.

• Edited

Flu shot on 10/02/2020. Shingles on 10/12/2020, has now spread quite badly. Never had shingles before.

• Edited

I got my flu shot this year on Oct 13 and was diagnosed with shingles on Oct 22.

Seems to a correlation, maybe even a causation.

• Edited

I am a 43 year old Male, I got my Flu shot last week and was diagnosed with Shingles for the first time this week. Sure it can be a coincidence. However since there are quite a few reports of of the same right here and you can be sure there are many more that don't report it here. I believe it warrants a medical research study to see if there is any connection and why.

• Edited

Hi, Betty

I normally don't get a flu shot since I haven't had the flu in 20 years. I decided to get one because I was going to travel long distance by air. since I was over 65, I was told I needed the high dose vaccine. My side effects started with a headache, which I didn't think was serious. However, within 4 days ,I developed a few itchy bumps on my forehead, scalp and eyelid . I sought medical treatment and was diagnosed with shingles. I was quickly sent to an ophthalmologist who examined my eyes and prescribed Valtrex. He said that I had "dodged a bullet " since it had not damaged my optic nerve. The flu vaccine did not "cause " my shingles since I had the virus since childhood. I do feel that the flu vaccine overwhelmed my immune system and reactivated the virus. I would advise anyone with this adverse affect to contact the CDC through their Vaccine Adverse Effect Reporting System (VAERS). You will need the vaccine manufacturer and vial number. I received my vaccine at CVS. All this information is listed on the paperwork you receive. Best wishes to all.

• Edited

I took a flu shot in 2012 for the first time before going on a trip to Mexico for a vacation. then i got shingles while i was there. that happened when i was 46 and perfectly healthy. Since then i have never taken any flu shot and scared to get sick again. i read some other patients comments at the time and many of them could only relate their shingles to flu shot. Many doctors said there is no connection since those are different virus but i think some how flu shot can active shingle virus.

• Edited

the question is: will Covid vaccine overwhelm the immune system?

• Edited

I can't say for certain, but I broke out in a case of fluid-filled hives, right after my first, and only flu shot. It took indoor tanning over the course of two weeks, to get them to dry out and clear up. I was 28 at the time (ten years ago) and had chicken pox as a toddler.

Both of my children had the chicken pox vaccine, no issues with the flu shot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.