Shingles and Flu Shot

Posted , 64 users are following.

Last year I developed a case of shingles shortly after getting my flu shot.  I read on this forum where somebody felt that their shingles might have been related to getting the flu shot.  I have not gotten a flu shot this fall and don’t know if there is a connection between the two or not.  I’m 74 and hate to skip getting the shot but I don’t want to risk a shingles relapse either.  I also wondered if I should get the new shingles shot, which I heard was more effective than the one I got several years ago.  Can anyone else weigh in on either of these issues?

8 likes, 114 replies

114 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

last year right around this time I receive the flu shot, from what i recall it was a vaccine for egg sensitive people, that's just what CVS had on hand. A few days later I was having trouble finding words, developed a pain in my lower back, then about 8 days after the shot had a shingles outbreak on my neck a few inches above my shoulder where I received the shot. At the time I was 36 with no underlying health conditions. Dr. said the shot could have "shocked or weakend" my immune system.

• Edited

I am 34 healthy male workout a lot, eat healthy. Got the flu shot this year 3 days later developed a rash on rib cage 7-10 days later it got worse and was diagnosed with shingles. They told me flu shot is impossible to get shingles from. I found this discussion and wanted to let everyone know it happened to me also!!

no more flu shot for me!!!!

• Posted

In Decembe 2018 I had my annual flu jab, followed a few days later but the shingles jab. Three or four days later I was hit by REAL flu - not just a few aches & sniffles - for the first time since 1961. A further few days later, I developed shingles behind my eyes - no rash - and still having mild post shingles symptoms. I did not request the shingles jab as I'm 76 years old and would not have agreed to it had I known this might happen.

• Posted

Not quite on subject but I have just had my flu jab do I need to stop taking my acyclovir (anti viral) tablets for a while?

• Edited

I got my Flu vax and whooping cough vaccine through antenatal clinic I'm currently 28 weeks pregnant and I've developed shingles.

I found this thread very interesting so I wanted to post my experience to weigh in on this topic. Not to deter anyone from the flu vax as I would happily get it again and I am in no way an anti vaxxer. I just find it interesting from a research perspective and I would be curious to know if the Vaccine impacts the immune system enough to increase the chance of developing shingles.

I am 30 years old fit and healthy. I have had shingles before when i was 12 years old and I never thought I would get it again.

Being pregnant my immune system is already weakened and I am wondering if these vaccines have just tipped me over the edge so to speak.

• Edited

i got a senior flu shot on October 4, 2022

3 days later- debilitating shingles i have been suffering for over 3 months My life has been destroyed Oxycodone, steroids, hospital, acupuncture I AM SUING SOMEBODY

Robert I. Bruck, Ph.D.

• Edited

I Took The Flu Shot On Friday September 15th 2023...I Felt Very Very Good On That Day...But By Sunday I Started Developing Body Pain All On One Side...Left Back, Left Arm, Left Breast, Under Arm Left Side Etc... And By Tuesday Or Wednesday I Had A Red Bumpy Rash....After Going To 2 Er Docs Who Prescribed Ointment I Finally Got Diagnosed With Shingles By A Dermatologist On October 1st Who Prescribed Valacyclovir Hcr 1 Gram Twice A Day For 10 Days.. I Told The Dr About How Happy And Well I Felt Before The Flu Shot And Then How Bad I Felt After wards Over The Weekend, And He Said This Happens All The Time...But He Said You Wont Hear That From The Makers Or The Powers That Be Etc...He Said The Flu Shot Indeed Triggered An Immune Response That Then Triggered The Shingles Activation In Me... He Then Went On To Tell Me Of His OWN Episode Of A Vax He Took, Causing A Triggered Immune Reaction In Him As Well, That Caused A Years Worth Of Arthritis All Over His Body~Where As Before He Was A Very Healthy 30ish Young & Fit HandSome Doctor Family Man With A Very Beautiful Wife And A Very Precious Young Child... I Know MANY Drs, Nurses, Tecs And Medical Personal Etc With Their Own Similar Stories And They Do Not Recommend Vaccinations Due To Outcomes Like Mine And Theirs Or Others That They Know Like Family And Friends... Any Way This Has Been The Hardest Pain Iv Ever Gone Through...And I Am Now In Week 3...I Just Pray That ALL Of The Pain Goes Away With No More Long Suffering...I Never Ever Want To Go Through This Again, And I Will Not Take Another Flu Shot, Even Though I Took It Very Faithfully Before For Years... There IS A Connection And A Trigger Between The Flu Vax And Then Getting Shingles Shortly After...Maybe If We Keep Sharing We Will Find Out Exactly What The Trigger And Connection Is! If I Can Save SomeOne From This Horrible Intense Pain And Long Suffering I WILL SHARE SHARE, SHARE, AND SHARE ALIKE Till The Cows Come Home... Until Then, Much Love Thoughts And Prayers To All And Be Well ❤️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.