Shingles crossing to the other side/or down the middle

Posted , 4 users are following.

i am 22 yr vet of having this lucky virus but this time appears go be different but only based on location. second time in 5 months in the same spot. center of my neck. they dont itch too much because its so painful, and all my other cases never formed above the skin until this year. the body aches, Exhaustion and Irritability have all taken its toll. my dr doesnt believe thats what this is but i cant figure out what it could be if its not shingles. any info would be helpful im enclosing a picture to view.image

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello, sorry to hear you're suffering. I had shingles in March 2020 and was originally misdiagnosed with an infected hair follicle on my eyebrow. At the time of misdiagnosis i had a similar raised red lump like yours just above my eyebrow. The skin felt hot and was agonisingly painful in sharp intermittent waves. I was wrongly prescribed antibiotics. Two days later i was sent home from work in tears, i had scrutinizing pain, swelling of the upper eyelid and the beginning of the characteristic blister/crater like rash of shingles. I called my doctor and sent over photos. I was then diagnosed correctly with shingles and prescribed antivirals, painkillers and a nerve block. I would request another doctor's appointment if your symptoms don't improve. As for positioning, the rash typically forms on one nerve tract down either the left or right side of the body. It is not unheard of to be slightly centralised though. My partner had shingles between his eyebrows years ago directly in the midline. Take care.

• Posted

I’m glad I came across your post. I am 37, and had shingles when I was 22/23. I remember having intense itching days before a burning pain started and blisters appeared. I actually thought it was a poison oak rash. Recently I began having intense itching sporadically on my neck/throat. I honestly thought it was just an irritation or mosquito bite. About a week after the itching first happened I sprayed some perfume on my neck and experienced intense burning which surprised me. I figured I had irritated my skin. Then yesterday morning I woke up and felt like a dry patch on my neck, in all the areas where it’s been itching. Soon after I had burning pain and I immediately wondered if this is in fact shingles?! Your picture looks much like the location and size of mine. Although mine is not dark yet, just a faint pink area. I’m pretty certain this is shingles but I can’t find many people who have it on neck without blisters, or anyone who shares that commen dry skin sensation. I’m also feeling very achey- horrible back pain… curious if you ever got the shingles diagnosis?

• Posted

I am so sorry i didnt get this sooner. they have revamped the site enough to lose majority of the pp who used to be on and we could all learn something. it took me several days to remember my security word.

anyway, my neck turned out to be a rash. i should have known better bc shingles doesnt usually cross over the center of your body.

i have always had shingles under the skin so it is very normal for some pp but there is no denying the pain that comes with shingles. i used to describe it like someone hit me with a baseball bat in my side and rib cage. my advice is to help yourself ad much as you can. limit sugar as much as you can bc its a virus which is infection and sugar irritates that. sleep, rest and lack of stress along with early doses of valtrex 1gram if not 2 grams when times are tough. i learned the sooner i got on my meds the sooner i started to feel better. i have also added a lot of vitamins. shingles is tough and the sooner you can control it the better off you will be. start with your GP/OB (mine is one in the same) now that i am able to get on this site my response wont take as long. i have suffered some more neurological issues and ironically shingles is no longer one of them. i cant tell you if its due to some of the changes i made that i mentioned in this message or if i got lucky. either way, life is so much better without that awful pain that controlled my life for more then 10 years. i wish you luck ☘

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.