Shingles or hives or what

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all.. I am a 26 year female. 

Last month I was diagnosed with shingles and prescribed acyclovir.. about a week and a half later my shingles were healed and only small scars left. A couple days ago I noticed red spots a little higher than where the shingles were. Right away I started taking acyclovir again.. I had some leftover. So my question is do shingles always blister because this second time they didn’t they look more like hives. And do shingles come back ? I thought it was one and done? Thank you.. I’m a worrywart

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Worried one!

While Shingles can return and also reoccur, usually they do not appear as hives. They appear as vesicle-blisters, with an area of burning, lancinating pain directly under the rash. Sometimes, Shingles itches at the rash site. Usually, Herpes Zoster-Shingles has these accompanying symptoms:

headache, sweating and chills, aches and pains, fatigue and exhaustion.

Usually, hives are temporary- do not last long. Bug bites can look like hives, BTW, and last longer. Both can itch.

Did you take the Antivirals as directed?

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you ! The second rash ended up being hives I’m not sure why. I’m a very nervous stressful person so I blame that. The meds did work for the shingles a couple weeks ago.. the urgent care said it was shingles for sure and my doctor also said but now at my recent appt she changed her mind and said nope it’s herpes.. I’m very upset with her because I’ve never heard of having herpes on an outer thight nowhere near genitals. Sorry TMI. just worried. I did get a std screening so Monday i get my results as you can imagine it’s been a stressful weekend.  I’m upset at the fact my doctor seen the shingles after a week and said yes shingles then changed her mind. I’m boggled by it. 
    • Posted

Hi

I just sent you a private message. There are ways to differentiate between the two.

Zoster comes out in waves or crops. The vesicle-blisters each look different from each other. With Zoster-Shingles, it appears over a dermatome and you have accompanying symptoms similar to the flu.

With Simplex, the vesicle-blisters are identical to each other and appear all at once. You do not feel the malaise, aches and pains, headache, chills and sweating, fatigue and exhaustion.

I hope this helps.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Frankly, she should have done a PCR, as her diagnosis was in doubt.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I definitely felt all the syntoms to shingles.. the sensitive skin before the rash I felt so so tired and sad and  definitely a headache. I have 2 kids and that was a rough week for me. 
    • Posted

It was my idea to get any type of blood work done.. she was hesitant and said if I wanted to I could. I’m switching doctors.
    • Posted

Dear Worriedone,

1.Did the vesicle-blisters come out in waves or crops over a period of days?

2. Did the vesicle-blisters look the same?

Merry Juliana

• Posted

The first day was 3 small red spots.. I hopped in the shower then hours later they looked like tiny blisters then the next day like 3 more and the next day like 2 more.. the pain was terrible I was limping.
    • Posted

Worriedone,

Then it is not Simplex, but Herpes Zoster-Shingles, definitely, as Zoster comes in crops over a period of days.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Talking to you has calmed me down so much. This has been a roller coaster of a weekend. Everything I’ve read online points to shingles. The way my ‘doctor’ spoke to me was so unprofessional I left in tears. 
    • Posted

As your doctor was unprofessional, find a new one, STAT. I take it he/she marginalized your consensus, As he was condescending to you, take your business and ratings elsewhere! He obviously does not know how to diagnose diseases, nor treat human beings...

I am so sorry you were mistreated by him!

A lot of us on this forum have had this occur, as well. We understand how depressing and hurtful this is when you already are in extreme pain, a household with children to care for, and feeling overwhelmed...we are here for you!

Hugs to you

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Consensus was care... BTW
  • Posted

Simplex does not have excruciating pain either or the accompanying constitutional symptoms, that you had. Simplex's rash has vesicle-blisters grouped in a circular arrangement, not a dermatome.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Mine were in sort or line or band just like the first doctor explained to me. And just how you’re telling me. 
    • Posted

"Zoster" means belt or band..

Definitely a diagnosis of Herpes Zoster-Shingles in your case...

Diagnosis is 90% history

5% physical exam

5% validate with

Imaging and or labs only

when needed!!!!

• Posted

Thank you so much for easing my mind ! 

I’ve only had This doctor for 2 months and already a bad experience.  To ease my own mind I asked for the blood tests. I’ve had chickenpox and I know the shingles come later on in life. I cannot thank you enough for easing my mind ! 

Hugs ! 

Erika 

• Posted

Your Welcome, Erika...

When you don't trust the clinician, it is time to change!

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.