shingles outbreak reccurring same place.. butt crack..

Posted , 18 users are following.

I'm Donna & I'm 55 yrs old & I have been dealing with reccuring outbreaks of shingles for the past 12 years or so.... I have it in the same location each time (top of my butt crack) and the breakout is not really all that bad but the pain that is within the nerves and the way I feel (tired, irritable, sad ... and much pain)....nerve pain in my hip and legs.... unreal..

I do take Valacyclovir, which helps and will shorten the time its so bad... at least I hope but I live it fear it will not work one day..... My heart goes out to anyone who suffers with this continue outbreak and issue as it is very painful and bothersome...

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I hope it keeps working for you Donna. I Went to another dermatologist and they say it is folticulitis Now and I could have it the rest of my life. It's on the crown of my scalp. I have neurological pain from it. Plus I just recently lost my job and insurance.  Horrible.
  • Posted

Hi Donna, I so identify with your nerve pain, and the feeling tired,sad and irritable. I cannot take Valacyclovir or any anti viral meds as they make me sick. Had the shingles vaccine back in June but yesterday they came back, so dissapointed. But saying that it was the longest I had been without them.Mine are on the left thigh just a small cluster, but it is my right hip thigh and knee which is very painful at the moment. Feel like chopping off my left leg. Hoping they will not last as long this time due to having the vaccine, will keep you posted. Hope you feel better soon. xx
  • Posted

Hi Donna,

I have been experiencing recurrent Ramsay Hunt Syndrome-Herpes Zoster Oticus Right Ear every three to five weeks for the last 19 years. (Shingles) I have the malaise, low grade fever, fatigue, and of course, protracted pain. At the first hint of the headache, I start the Famvir, which works best for me. I am also on Topamax, an anticonvulsant, daily which helps to lower the intensity of pain and prevent post herpetic neuropathy. I do take a narcotic, as I could never get through the first week of almost intractable pain. I also use Auralgon ear drops, which have benzocaine, a local anesthetic, to soothe the nerve endings in my ear canals & on my ear drum. You might request Lidocaine patches to see if they help.

Another issue to consider is why are you getting recurrent shingles. I was finally diagnosed with Lupus, an autoimmune disease that lowers your resistance to viral and bacterial infection. I would research if you might have that possibility in your family-SLE, Rheumatoid arthritis Sjögrens, for example; Also, more remotely, people who have cancer & HIV, tend to get recurrent shingles. People who take a lot of corticosteroids also have impaired immune systems. These are things to think about, but not worry about. I hope this helps. I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States. If your doctor does not give you excellent pain medication for your shingles, find a new doctor to help you. Shingles is devastating.

• Posted

I have had shingles for about 5 years now. It hurts like crazy!! Especially on the inside. I just started taking valaxyxlovir, but have never been free of the pain.
  • Posted

Oh wow. I have the same thing. It comes and goes for the past 7 years. I also get a few on the same side on my side and behind my ear. All on. The right. Side. It's just awful. I feel for you.

• Posted

Thanks this is my first outbreak and everyone keeps telling me that it can't be Shingles because of where it is. Z'S ON MY BUUT. I DON'T HAVE A FAMILY DOCTOR AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP.

• Posted

Rhone,

Please see my private message to you.

Thanks

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I have the exact same issue, Donna.  I haven't been to my Dr yet, but it just recurred for the 2nd time and is excruciatingly painful.  As a cyclist, I initially thought it might be chafing--but it's at the very top of my crack and that just didn't make sense.  I has West Nile in 2013, which has affected my immune system.  I just can't get over how terribly painful this is, and it's a relatively small area.

• Posted

Hi Donna, I am 60 y/o, I also get shingles the same place. Tremendous pain most of the time down my left leg. I have other symptoms first. Headaches, loss off coordination,fatigue ,sometimes nausea. Then terrible pain occurs down my leg. Most of the time the left leg. The outbreak then occurs and more pain. I have recurring shingles for about 10 years now.  Sometimes 10 times a year. Now my foot is going numb and my toe drops with tremendous pain. The other night I was asleep and woke up with terrible pain in my toe. It felt like a snake bite. The next morning I woke up with the shingles outbreak. I am getting ready to get some test run. I fell two days in a row. I have no idea if it is related to the shingles. However. My feet have been numb for 4 days now and I still have the outbreak. How is your now? 
  • Posted

Im so sorry ive had the shingles 4 times now same spot every time top of my butt crack im so sick.I hope we both will feel better.soon
  • Edited

😲😲😲 I only found this thread, and then HAD to read into the conversation info of this particular post bc, well...here i am six years after the original posting of it... googling if its possible to have shingles at top of butt crack only, AND for it to re-occur more than once (also in same area ONLY)

bc i got it 2 summers ago, also right at start of butt crack only....and then, a couple nights ago the same area i had them first time, started having the same type of "out of nowhere" ridiculously intense itching as first outbreak of shingles did for me. and then yesterday bottom of my right foot started with terrible deep pain that just STAYED (still got it) also had a point where my last 3 toes on same foot were numb.

then TONIGHT the itching came back, so i asked my hubby( abt a couple hrs ago from when i am typing this now) to look at it, and see if, to him, it looked like shingles ever did when i he had seen it before on me. he said to him, at that time, it just looked (maybe) kinda like an insect bite of sorts usually does. Now here i am, only a couple hrs since that "description" with it feeling like (when i touch it) that it is more than one "bump" or spot, raised more, warm/fevered, and then when i went to get a sort of "visual" check of it...confirmed more than one spot but also that one of them seems to have small whitish blister starting

ALL THIS, THAT FAST!!!

and i seriously believed that getting shingles more than once almost never happened, and NEVER in the same spot if it did (because in the past that was only info i could ever find for some reason)

So i googled tonight, bc of all this happening like it is with it, but expected to find that it doesnt happen that way and couldn't possibly be it again. (plus i never heard anything abt the leg/feet pain being associated with it neither until finding this post neither) then...BOOM i see the headline of this post, explaining having my EXACT SAME issue/question/and area of the body!!!!! and didnt expect to be reading how many other people( just in this thread) have same thing too...it has all been exactly what i needed, to confirm it was even POSSIBLE to be having this again right now.

oh....and btw.....to add to the assumptions most people have of shingles (not likely happening more than once, not possible to be happening anywhere but specific areas of body etc etc) another one they like to say alot involves AGE.

and i had them at 34 yrs old, and (sounds like) I possibly do again only 2 yrs later

my brothers best friend.....got shingles outbreak before he even turned 21 yrs old!!!!!!

it sounds to me like a ton of outdated "assumptions " need to be SQUASHED somehow, and maybe do some new researching etc.

bc i was 100% mislead to believe none of this was hardly even possible at all.

UNTIL NOW,, THAT IS 😜

i just have one last ?? (if anyone will even see this to answer it)

it seemed to me to sound as though the re-occurences in most, have new or added pain/problems along with it as it continued....so, is it possible my experience this and any other times could be worse than my first?!?!? bc it was pretty mild and only affected that one little area with itching and blister (not even the scab over part) and never really any significant pain.

thanks sooooo much for everyone posting their same experiences!!!! has answered alot for me!

• Posted

I was googling the same symptoms as I am currently experiencing the same thing. I want you to know that you are not alone. A few days before, I noticed a red spot with a slight bump and my right toe was also experiencing that weird deep pain. This is the 3rd time within the last 2 months that it flared up. Have you conclusively checked out that it is shingles or herpes? I ask because I also googled sacrum herpes, which happens to occur in a similar area with similar symptoms. Although my blood test did indicate positive for shingles, the medical professionals are unable to conclude whether it is currently on-going or a recent past event just with a positive blood test. I find that Valtrex does help at 3000 milligrams (mg) per day divided into 3 doses for a week. It has been quite frustrating. My first episode was nearly 20 years ago. Now I am experiencing 3 flare ups in the past 2 months. I have not tried this: "Natural Shingles Treatment and Relief Cream - with Manuka Honey" from Amazon but it was recommended to me.

Stress is the real trigger and no nuts (Arginine foods). Go high on Lysine. Hope you heal soon with no more flare ups.

• Posted

WOW......Ive been experiencing this for a while now, only to have it click in my head that maybe it was shingles. Only after looking up symptoms did I realize it was true. This last outbreak has lasted two weeks now. I contributed to wearing a wet swimsuit bottom while pressure washing my deck, thinking it was a yeast at the top of my butt crack, only to discover today what the "culprit" could really be. I've tried cortisone cream, vaginal creams, powders, even antifungal sprays for athletes foot (because I was desperate), which did stop the itch. Now I feel really dumb, I am sure tis is exactly what it is. I've put in a call to my pc, due to my rx refills for valtrex is expired. Thay WILL NOT happen again.

• Posted

wow. im glad I found this thread. i too have been getting this yearly for about 5 years now. I just had covid about 6 weeks ago so I'm blaming that for the outbreak this time. I have never been to the doctor about it. I guess I should call her. I will be following this post to see if there are any new suggestions to stop it from recurring! did anyone get the vaccine for shingles and if so did it help?

• Posted

I've received the vaccine and have had 2 outbreaks within 2.5 years. Not as sick these two times but still don't feel well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.