Shingles over and over

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm 35 yrs old and I had shingles 21 times since 2013. They give me 800mg of Acyclovir. It clears up but then comes back about a month later. Its always in the same place, between my left eye and nose. The 20th time it was actually on my eyelids. My eye was swollen shut and I lost vision. None of these dumb doctors can come up with a reason why it keeps coming back. I just dont understand. Its ugly. Anyone else having this problem?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi someone told me to get L-Lysine 500mg per day i take two one in the morning and one at night it seems to be working for me . give it a try and see how it works you will be in my prayers 
  • Posted

hey also the doctor put me on 150 lyrica and when its really bad 300 mg you can only take 600mg aday and also you need sleep find something to do like walking or rideing a bike anything to keep your mind going .less worrying music dance something
  • Posted

Hi,

My name is Merry. I have shingles, or Ramsay Hunt Syndrome-Herpes Zoster Oticus, right ear. I also have an autoimmune disease called systemic lupus erythematosus that lowers my ability to fight off infection. I am 63 years old and have been getting Ramsay Hunt Syndrome for the last 19 years every three to five weeks. First of all, Acyclovir is the worst of the three antivirals. Ask for Famvir, as it might clear the varicella virus better. Ask if you can take Famvir at a lower dose continuously to suppress getting the virus or at least lower the frequency a little. Are you up to date for cancer screening tests? Or did anyone in your family have an early history of cancer? Well, you are too young for routine screening. Is there a history of autoimmune diseases in your family? I was 44 when I started with shingles. Have they drawn a CBC with differential to check for blood cancers. Ask to see a rheumatologist and/or hematologist for this. You should also see an ophthalmologist, re: your eye, if you haven't already. Something is going on, and it will manifest itself sooner or later. People who have shingles in the eye have a higher rate of recurrence. I hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.