Shingles over and over again need advice re: causes please

Posted , 32 users are following.

Hi There, 

Before I start I will say I have seen the extensive discussions about reoccuring shingles on this site - and have read them (many times). 

I am a 36 year old female, otherwise healthy apart from this shingles that haunts my life. First bout was in 2014 after a traumatic experience in my then stressful job. Since then I have left my career (I was a teacher) and have started on my own path as a self employed person. I chose this to make sure I wasn't putting myself under undue pressures and can choose my own schedule. 

Long story short 4 weeks ago I had the tell tale exhaustion, short tempered, sleep the clock around groggy feeling, terrible acid stomach and low and behold about 10 days later the rash appeared, always in the same place on my left ribs over my stomach. 

This is the 5th time I have had an outbreak since 2014. My GP (I am in the UK) has usually been dismissive and tells me as the rash has come out there is nothing that can be done and to "ride the storm", well this time I am absolutely sick of riding the storm. It shouldn't be happy to me and I am worried sick about WHY this keeps happening. I explained this to the GP and watched her GOOGLE reoccuring shingles in front of me as she said she really was clueless in a woman my age. The usual came up and she sent me for a HIV test, which I was flabbergasted by as I have been married for 15 years. I have also been tested for "everything" (whatever that is on the NHS).

Cutting a long story short I was wondering if anyone here had actually ever got to the bottom about WHY This happens to them?. I am now at the end of the rash, covered in cold sores (they also plague me) and my family call me "Herpes woman" which is charming ... 

What causes this? Do I need to pressure my GP to dig deeper or is it "one of those things". Immune defencincies keep coming up but never gets more than a fleeting mention.

HELP (thank you ... also laughing how shingles has a little bug next to it on the avatar - it feels like little pinchy ants running along my trunk!)

6 likes, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear Lucyandyoshi

Warning I've already posted this information before so I'm sorry if you seen it I just wanted Lucyandyoshi to see it.

I think that this information could be very helpful (maybe even comforting and reassuring)

Shingles should not always associated with having a poor immune system or being immunocompromised. That kind of ignorance is what makes having chronic shingles (I have chronic shingles or reoccurring shingles) so embarrassing. I'm not a doctor but my sister is and she confirms all this information. Shingles and reoccurring shingles is prevalent in the immunocompetent (not a typo) population I have probably had shingles at least 30 times starting at the age of 12. Also, during both my pregnancies. As I get older I seem to have it more frequently unfortunately. I have also had the shingles vaccine which only worked for about nine months then I had a case of shingles that was the worst I've ever had! Other than have a reoccurring shingles there is nothing else wrong with me. I'm very fit and healthy otherwise. I just want to let you know that you're not alone if you're having / experiencing shingles or have reoccurring shingles. Here is the information that you might find helpful my apologies that is so long but shingles is a very complicated thing... For decades, medical wisdom about shingles has been that it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The commonly-held belief is that patients are protected from a recurrence of the herpes zoster virus, which causes shingles, after one episode. But according to recent research and/or studies about shingles they have found that this is not true.

For example, a study published in the February 2011 issue of the Mayo Clinic Proceedings shows that recurrences of shingles may be significantly more common than doctors have suspected. New Medical Studies have found and prove that recurrences of shingles are prevalent in the immunocompetent population. "It's been thought that recurrences were limited to people with compromised immune systems, for instance from chemotherapy or blood-borne malignancies, but this is not the case," "Recurrence was prevalent in the immunocompetent population. We were very surprised by the results." Unfortunately, a lot of doctors are not up-to-date on the most recent research about shingles. There is still so much that the medical community needs to learn about shingles. "Shingles has a mind of its own and does what it wants to do".The bottom line is No One Knows exactly what causes a reactivation of the virus! If they knew exactly what caused it there probably wouldn't be this forum. You could have a good immune system and get it. You may also have a poor immune system and get it. It is also common to have reoccurring shingles if you have an auto immune disorder for example, lupus or MS. Some of the other speculations / research published in medical journals suggest these things may contribute to reactivation of the virus but like I said before they do not know for sure

Some other reasons people might have reoccurring shingles ( this information I also got from medical journals so they are fact-based from statistical research)

1). Having experienced injuries or nerve damage also seems to raise the risk for shingles, since within the nerves is where the virus lays dormant. 2). Some research suggests that traumatic stimulation of the nerves in the dorsal root ganglion can trigger the virus to reactive. 3). Some people also seem to be genetically predisposed to the development of herpes zoster to some extent, with research showing that changes in the gene for interleukin-10 (an immune-system mediator) are associated with an increased incidence of herpes zoster, as is a family history of the virus. 4). Finally, the impact of high amounts of stress and poor gut health shouldn’t be overlooked. Psychological stress, chronic stress, or dramatic life events seem to contribute to VZV reactivation, with studies showing an association between physical, emotional and sexual abuse and higher incidence of shingles. According to a report published in the Journal of Infectious Diseases, contributing psychological factors for shingles development include financial stress, inability to work, decreased independence and an inadequate social-support environment.

I am always doing research to find out more more information there are a lot of other people out there like us that are healthy but otherwise have shingles. I read the most interesting study a few weeks. The title of it "New evidence of varicella-zoster in giant cell arteritis" I am constantly researching I tried to contact the the Doctor Who did the research because he lives in Denver and I also live in Denver Colorado. Unfortunately he died last year. I wanted to talk to him because I think the shingles can manifest in other ways also. People just don't know about it. For instance, I always seem to have sciatica but not when I take the shingles medicine it goes away completely! I'm not the first person to say this, I've seen other people saying the same thing on other forms. This article talks about the possible connection between shingles and GCA. That Varicella-Zoster (shingles) is actually being manifested as GCA. Just Google the title and you should be able to find the study. I tried to post the link to another woman I had emailed some information to because she said she had GCA and shingles so I thought it was important for her to see it. Anyway I was not allowed to post the link it is being moderated. You can probably Google the title of the study I mentioned in the beginning (the mayo clinic one) and the one at the end. Good luck to you. Try to stay positive I know it can be difficult at times.

Thinsport-Denver, Co.

• Posted

Hi Thinsport!

If you wish the material get to the individual with Giant Cell Arteritis, send a private message by clicking on the brown envelope at the top right page under the green reply bar...

Hope this helps!

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi thinsport. I find all this very interesting as my GP does not seem to believe me when I see her about shingles type symptoms. I had first bout years ago but was away on hols so just powered through. Second time was two years ago since when I've recurring symptoms but no rash. Can you please send me the link you mentioned by clicking on the envelope just below my name and avatar on the top left of this message? Merry is correct in saying Doctors are not up to date or aware of most of the modern research on shingles. (Too many patients, not enough tome to study it!) I'm in the UK and we cannot demand medication from practitioners on the NHS system! We have to rely on the GP's discretion and hope they will help and oblige. It's all down to the budget these days, not enough cash to go round all the patients it seems, whatever the problems we have! Thanks, Pollyanna UK

• Posted

Thank you for your article.  I have had reoccurring shingles despite cutting out sugar and eating very healthy - in fact too healthy.  My holistic doctor told me to take L-lysine which I did and also increased to a more healthy diet of blueberries, coconut milk in smoothies, oats and pork and other foods which contained arsinine - which promotes the virus!
    • Posted

Hello. Horrible but interesting. I would like to stay in touch. Please read what I wrote to Merry (above) as I was unable to copy and paste. If you have any new info, pleas share.

All the best to you,

Nancy

• Posted

Hi thinsport, I’ve had what my Primat caregiver a NP insists on calling chronic fatigue for about 10 years; manifests as debilitating “body fatigue” and pain in my spine. I haven’t given up on finding out what it might be though and this time we threw som Valacyclovir at it, just in case. The most amazing thing happened, the fatigue went away as well as the stomach pain and loss of appetite. (I’d lost 10 of my 120 lbs in 6 weeks but now I’m eating like a horse and gaining fast.) Only the spine pain remained and then moved on up into my head and seems to have turned into a mild case of viral meningitis, mostly light sensitivity, headache and sore neck. But all that is still better than the fatigue. I just took my last dose of 10 day course of antiviral, not sure what will happen now. Glad to have a lead but my NP isn’t convinced of anything and can’t be bothered to think beyond the 15 minutes she had with me last week. I could probably get a referral but not sure what to ask for, Internal medicine? Virologist? Neurologist? Went to the ER hoping for a meningitis diagnoses and a referral while still symptomatic since this thing is reoccurring but the doctor there thought the antiviral must have caused a placebo effect and that I was having a migraine... my first migraine that lasted 4 days I guess. Found any new research I can pass onto skeptical medical professionals? Most folks don’t have the energy to think outside of the box and just figure I’m crazy or something. Anyone else have or heard of the pain in the spine? As I said before it has always accompanied the fatigue episodes which last anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks over the past 10 years with occurrence increasing in frequency lately, was once per year now 2 or 3 times.
    • Posted

Great news, I am a 52 year old woman who was plagued with shingles from age 11 to 27 and I found something that stops an outbreak in a Natural Remedy book in 1994!!! I have used it ever since and it works!!!! When you feel the first tingle take 2000 mg of L-lysine every 4 hours until the pain stops. It will freeze the herpes in that stage no pain, no blister, nothing GONE!!! L-lysine works for cold sores, chicken pocks, STD herpes, and most notably for me Shingles. I keep a bottle at work and a few pills in my purse. It is safe enough to take if you are pregnant (that was how I found it) I was pregnant and could not take my Dr prescription. So, I went to a health food store and found my miracle. Over the years I have told everyone and anyone who has a cold sore, shingles, STD herpes I even stop people I see and tell them. 100% reported that it works!!! L-LYSINE is an OTC natural amino acid that you can get at any drugstore in the vitamin aisle. It is a natural amino acid, fat burner, mood enhancer etc. Healthy to take. Do not take it as a maintenance, only take it when you feel the tingle. The natural remedy book also suggested cutting back on peanuts, coffe, and brown legumes which may counter the L-lysine, but only for the day because IT IS HEALED IN ONE DAY!!!.
  • Posted

Hello,

I have also had recurring shingles - since June of last year. I am also in the UK but, after the second recurrence, my GP suggested that they should try to find out why the antivirals weren't knocking it on the head. We agreed that we would look into it if it reoccurred again.

That was just before Christmas and after Christmas it was back. Apart from the first time when it was quite nasty, the recurrences have been quite mild. Nevertheless, my GP sent me for every test imaginable, including HIV. Everything came back clear, apart from one test, which flagged up a protein irregularity that is probably slightly compromising my immunity. I am otherwise healthy, not unduly stressed, and have no signs that would suggest anything sinister.

My thought is that recurring shingles may well indicate something that is compromising your immunity and should most definitely be looked into. The test that flagged something up for me was called a 'Bence Jones' test and one of my GPs told me that he wouldn't have even thought to ask for it. But his older colleague had requested it and it proved to be a very wise move. I do apparently have a heightened risk of something that is quite nasty but the good news is that I will be monitored quite regularly and, if concerns arise in future, it will be at a very early stage when intervention is possible. None of this would have come to light without the diligence of my GP.

I would definitely go back to your GP and insist that she obtain a second opinion or, as others have suggested, change your doctor to someone in whom you can have greater confidence.

The suggestion from my GP was that shingles shouldn't be recurring in someone who is otherwise healthy and that it is important to establish whether there is an underlining reason.

I should add that I am somewhat older than you. However, it seems to be a common feature that shingles is poorly understood by many in the medical profession.

I do hope that you get some progress in your search for a cause soon - even if only that it's a reassurance that you've just been somewhat unlucky!

• Posted

Great news, I am a 52 year old woman who was plagued with shingles from age 11 to 27 and I found something that stops an outbreak in a Natural Remedy book in 1994!!! I have used it ever since and it works!!!! When you feel the first tingle take 2000 mg of L-lysine every 4 hours until the pain stops. It will freeze the herpes in that stage no pain, no blister, nothing GONE!!! L-lysine works for cold sores, chicken pocks, STD herpes, and most notably for me Shingles. I keep a bottle at work and a few pills in my purse. It is safe enough to take if you are pregnant (that was how I found it) I was pregnant and could not take my Dr prescription. So, I went to a health food store and found my miracle. Over the years I have told everyone and anyone who has a cold sore, shingles, STD herpes I even stop people I see and tell them. 100% reported that it works!!! L-LYSINE is an OTC natural amino acid that you can get at any drugstore in the vitamin aisle. It is a natural amino acid, fat burner, mood enhancer etc. Healthy to take. Do not take it as a maintenance, only take it when you feel the tingle. The natural remedy book also suggested cutting back on peanuts, coffe, and brown legumes which may counter the L-lysine, but only for the day because IT IS HEALED IN ONE DAY!!!.
  • Posted

The other thing my GP did the last time it recurred was to put me on an antiviral other than Acyclovir, as Merry Juliana suggested, and for 10 days rather than the normal 7. So far, that seems to have worked, although it is a bit early to be sure.
    • Posted

Hello David,

Thank you for your reply to Lucy...

I find that many of us with frequent recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles discover we have an immunocompetency issue as the base for the recurrence.

I hope this text finds you well, and your family, daughter, and granddaughter doing well.

I am doing reasonably well, except for the disease we share, LOL, but l just laugh at it and keep living.

I drove to Florida from Delaware, an 18 hour drive, with a medically fragile friend, and visited with two friends from kindergarten for a week. We have been friends for 61 years.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello Merry Juliana, and thanks for your good wishes.

My daughter and the latest addition are doing well, and I now hear that my middle son and his wife are expecting their second child in August.

I'm just in the process of trying to wean myself off amitriptyline for PHN. I've only been on a relatively low dose - max 25mg - but I've reduced them to 20mg and, in the last couple of days, to 10mg. Today I have a slight discomfort, which feels a bit like a low level stitch in my side but I can cope with that. It's preferable to the disturbed sleep patterns and dry mouth that comes with the higher dose.

I have the six-week appointment with the haematologist on Tuesday when I should get the results of a full skeletal X-ray, and the further blood test that he ordered to corroborate the first one that indicated higher protein levels, but I shall be very surprised if there's anything untoward. I think I am marginal going forward as to whether I'm monitored by my GP or the hospital clinic.

I'm pleased to hear that you are doing reasonably well. I'm sure that half the battle is being able to keep on top of things emotionally, but pain is extremely wearing and I am so grateful that I seem to have got away without the intense pain that many experience.

Whilst I don't have the energies I once had, and I'm sure that's an age thing rather than anything else, it's good that we keep ourselves as busy and as active as we can. Apart from friends and family, I'm involved with local church and charities, as well as seeking to institute an LGBT Pride event in the local area. And if I don't have the energies I once had, at least I can encourage and motivate others. I am convinced that life is for living, whatever our adversities!

Love and best wishes,

David x

• Posted

David,

It is always wonderful to hear from you. I shall hope that the news from the skeletal survey is great news... I think of you as a dear friend, and am thankful for this site for opening new vistas of friendships with warm-hearted and philosophical individuals, such as yourself.

Congratulations on yet another addition to your family. I hope all goes well with the pregnancy and birth..

The election in the US worries me due to the enormous hatred incited towards minorities and LGBT. I am so thankful I was raised by my parents who modeled love, beneficence, and integrity.

You and I have the same philosophical view of life, overcoming adversities and moving forward, enjoying your life, your family, friends, and giving unto others. Laugh in the face of adversity!

Love to you

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks to you all for your replies. A couple of things have striked me as interesting, especially the connection with IBS and diet. My lifestyle is 24/7 and I tend to eat irregularly, or go for days working and not eating. I'm going to check out the "shingles diet". It's really frustrating but I'll wait for my blood test results and update you. I'm quite positive nothing will show. Thanks all. Lucy (Yoshi is my cat ..)

• Posted

Meow!

HRM 👑JUPITER GOD KING EMPEROR is my 20 year old orange tabby!

Individuals with IBS are at a higher risk for Herpes Zoster-Shingles....

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.