Shingles pain and itching HELP pls

Posted , 39 users are following.

my shingles blisters and rashes have fallen off and skin that was left raw and open is healing BUT the pain and itching has worsened and intensified. The prickling pain and twitching feeling is so intense and irritating I've given into itching. Does anyone know of anything I can do....the other day I was awake till 5am. It felt mild wen I had the blisters but now I'm so uncomfortable. The doc give me amithriptyline and that helped with pain in my throat , ear and and head but does nothing for skin. I'm so confused...has anyone else experienced this. Please share ur recovery stories with me and if there's anything u found soothing I'd be grateful to hear from you. 

This is such a terrible illness....I think there should be (optional) vaccination for everyone from childhood....it's so bad that's why I'm thinking along these lines....losing my mind. My shingles started two weeks ago and I have completed the course of acyclovir. 

Hope we to hear from anyone who has suffered from shingles and or Post shingles pain

many thanks

jubs

1 like, 83 replies

83 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I've been suffering from the post pain for four months now and it can be unbearable. I take GABAPENTIN 300 mg three times a day. It helps but it's not a great help. I've bought and tried everything that has ever been suggested with not much help with the pain. There have been times I've resorted to narcotics because I just couldn't take it any longer. I hate the way they make me feel but at least they help me sleep and that's a relief. I can't wear anything next to my skin except silky undershirts. I haven't been able to wear a bra since it broke out four months ago. I've been to three doctors hoping to get some different answers but I haven't gotten any help from that. I did have the vaccine a couple of years ago. So much for that prevention idea.

• Posted

That dosage of Gab is quite a bit lower than many others are on. I was at 2400 mg, 800 mg 3 times a day. What you're on is often the beginning dose, its increased from there over weeks.  Usually the dosage stops increasing if the side effects of fatigue or confusion get too bothersome. Some are at a bit lower than that, but please talks to you doctor and/or pharmacist. It's been 6 months for me and I'm finally wearing bra again. I had to go up a size. I bought extenders to add to the band. Don't try until you're ready, I still only wear one when I'm out. Luckily my skin isn't as hyper sensitive as yours. Have you tried lidocaine pain  cream? It really helps me.

• Posted

This shingles virus is so mysterious.  Some days I really think it's getting better them BAM!  It hits me again.  This morning it's killing me after a pretty good day yesterday. 

• Posted

I'm up through the night every night for about an hour and a half till the painkillers I take deaden the pain although it's never completely gone,that with the Amitripyline has me totally spaced out .

• Posted

Does anyone see the weather affecting their PHN?
    • Posted

Just recently discovered this very useful forum Silkwings. I do find that weather has a real affect on the itch I have developed on my face. The itch is much calmer when I am outdoors and the colder the better. I have kept any heating at home off and opened windows even when it's cold outside - just wearing a jersey and using a blanket when sitting down. The itch has been active for several weeks now after the rash (which was pretty easy) disappeared without much problem. Any medication my GP has suggested don't have much affect and I've given up Amatrypteline as that just turned me into a zompie. The research I have found seems to suggest that treatment for pain after shingles is entirely different to treatment for itching so I'm relying mostly on cool temparatures along with Gabapentin and a Lydocaine gel. I'm going to try a few other things like the Aveeno lotion that I have seen on this forum.  I recently read an article published in the New Yorker in 2008 which is a while ago but interesting but scary.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Sherry, thank you for your comments and your validation of my experience. I think some people are more sensitive to the environment than others and everything seems to affect those people. I appreciate your response and your empathy. This is such a great forum.
  • Posted

Put clear nail polish on the rashes.. Everytime you feel an itch put the nail polish on it. Somehow or another it smothers it and helps to heal it.
  • Posted

I'm so very gladly to have found this forum! I was diagnosed with Shingles a week ago, but had pain and lesions 4 days before diagnosis. I was started on Acyclovir and a narcotic for the pain but ended up in the ER when the nerve pain was more excruciating than I could handle. Thankfully I was given 2 shots and a steroid dose pack, which helped greatly. I have no new blisters but the itchy, prickly, stabbing pain continues. I use a capsaicin cream where the nerve pain is (which helps) calamine lotion on the blisters and cold compresses where the blisters and rash are. All of that has helped me get through the last week. I'm finally starting to feel better and went all day today with no pain meds. So many of your comments helped in deciding what to try to reduce the pain and itching....thank you for that! I have an auto immune disorder and am so afraid because of my weak immune system that I will end up with PHN, but am trying to think positively. I hope those of you still suffering find some relief and continue to post how you are coping and how things are going for you.

• Posted

Sherri, PHN is a fear for many. The best advice is to rest as much as possible and avoid activity that sets off the pain. Mine was in my back and chest so lifting (even a glass of milk), twisting, bending etc. set it off. It took weeks to understand that. You want the nerves to be as calm as possible. Also taking Gabapentin (Neurontin) MAY help lower the risk of PHN, but there's not much research. Also getting the antivirals within 72 or even 48 hours is the most important thing. I didn't get them, as we had no idea I had shingles until two weeks later.

I did develop PHN, but I'm very fortunate as I am still seeing healing and recovery, 7 months out. That doesn't always happen. Maybe those anti-virals did the trick if you're feeling better!

• Posted

All I've done is rest. Lol. Seem to be feeling well enough to try to go back to work tomorrow, but now I'm nervous. Unfortunately I don't get sick pay and have been out since last week, which I can't afford. Hopefully I won't be too busy tomorrow, then will have the weekend to rest. I do think getting the anti-viral early on did help as well as taking prednisone. None of my doctors have mentioned gabapentin, so I'll be sure and ask if things down continue to improve. I'm so sorry you're still dealing with this 7 months later! 🙁

• Posted

I don't get sick-leave either, and I was out 2 months. The pain was very bad and the Gab made me useless, but did eventually help with that.I'm suprised the doctors didn't mention the gab, but if the pain wasn't bad, you may not have felt the need to request help with that. PI also take Tylenol, Aspercreme and my regular prescription NSAID. Don't push yourself too much, you're sicker than you realize.  Take care of yourself.

Thanks for your concern, but I'm very lucky that  I'm getting better.

• Posted

Oh, the pain was excruciating and beyond bearable! I went to the ER over the weekend as the pain meds I had weren't enough to deal with the nerve pain. I was given 2 shots and a steroid dose pack. I didn't know to ask for gab. Wow, out two months! I'm sorry to hear that but totally understand how debilitating this illness is.

I'm very glad to hear you're getting better! Tomorrow should be ok at work and I'm planning on resting this weekend and see how things go from there. Thank you for the advice! 😊

• Posted

Check out uding TENs to treat it! Lots stufy out there. It says very effectuve.

Just google shingles tteatment using TENs.

Hope everyone gets better, get out of tgis sickness!

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear of your suffering, and yes this is a nasty disease.  It seems to take on personal attributes with different sufferers.   I am 4 weeks in and have just started to get a slight fever each evening and a shallow cough, after:

- initially being admitted to hospital for 'kidney pain' 

?- finding only morphine could help me sleep in the first few days (It felt like a cracked rib)

- developing the rash in the classic 'shingle' position below my ribs

The rash was quite extensive but quickly blistered.  It was the least of my probs because the virus found another inflammation in a pinched nerve and turned numbness into pain down my arm an into my fingers.

?Now the rash is itching and causing burning pain, but the pain is managed by Lyrica (75 Mg X 4 per day) and the pinched nerve inflammation is managed with Voltaren.  I just have the discomfort of the burning and the general un-wellness and slight fever now.  I have returned to work, but they are understanding and I just bring work home after a couple of hours each day if I am tired.  Some days I can't face it at all.  

Anyway, just letting you know yr not alone Jubs, the symptoms seem to vary from person to person and this can be a long-haul.  I thought I was on the mend last week, but clearly not..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.