Shingles Vaccine a trigger for symptoms of Meniere's?

Posted , 16 users are following.

For years I rarely had a full blown Meniere's vertigo with uncontrollable vertigo, nausia, etc. About a month or two after I decided to take the shot for Shingles I woke up one morning with one that was so bad my husband had to take me to the ER. Since that time (for over 3 years now) I have had bouts sometimes as many as 8 a month with dizziness, full head feelings, that I can control using meclizine. I read in an article about Meniere's that some people think that Meniere's is related to or possibly caused by the virus that causes chicken pocks and shingles. The shot I had contained a live virus to give me an immunity to getting shingles so I'm wondering if it also caused a flare up of Meniere's. Has anyone else had this happen to them or do you know anything concerning a relationship between Meniere's and shingles vaccine?

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Patricia,

if you search this forum ( see upper right of screen) for "Aciclovir in the treatment of Menieres" or for tim63896, you'll find further discussion on this topic. ( I knew I'd find it eventually!) 😄

Take good care,

J-

• Posted

Not sure, but I have had shingles for many years, on and off. Took acyclovir when a bout hit. Always wondered if there is a connection.
    • Posted

When you took acyclorvir did you have any side effects? I took one pill and got a lump in my throat and tingling pins and needles feelings around my mouth and lower part of my face. Could these be side effects?
    • Posted

That's what happened to me too. My throat started to close too. I ended up in the emergency room.

• Posted

So you had to stop taking the acyclovir. How many pills of the acyclovir did you take before you experienced the symptoms of your throat closing up? I took just one and had the tingling in my lower face and the lump in my throat. I wasn't sure if it was an allergic reaction or not or just my own fear of possibility of an allergic reaction. Sounds weird I know but ever since I had an allergic reaction to an allergy shot I've been concerned when I try new medications. Did your doctor suggest any other type of antiviral medication to take? Or not?

• Posted

I only took one pill and had the reaction. He did suggest another one but I an not brave enough at this point. I switched over to the Pine Bark and Natural Diuretic. It is helping a lot. I am still curious about the other antiviral med but I am going to hold off for a bit. I am having good results after 2 weeks on the pine bark. They say to give in 3 months.
  • Posted

Hi there. I am a medical professional and within the last year had my shingles vaccination. 2 1/2 months ago I had a severe case and my first case of vertigo. Since then I have become better with short bouts of continued symptoms but have never felt completely back to normal. I too took an antiviral and have a maintenance dose but in truth was unsure if that was helpful . After reading others stories I will discuss this with my medical director and will keep everyone posted on their responses.
    • Posted

Thank you Susie54957! Any information you can give us would be greatly appreciated. Right now I have decided to go on the suppliments written about by John of Ohio (that's what he calls himself to protect his privacy) that you can access information about by the Meniere's Association. It involves mostly over the counter supplements that help with circulation in the inner ear as well as helping strengthen the immune system overall. A number of people have gotten some relief from this daily regimen.

• Posted

I got the Shingles vaccine and within one year I got what Doctors called Labyrinthitis or Vestibular Neuritis. 8 months now and still not well. Started with vertigo, head heavy, ear fullness, neck pain, dizzy, miserable. Has completely changed my life. Could the vaccine have caused this?
  • Posted

Any virus can be a trigger. My worst two experiences were following a hand foot and mouth virus and a stomach virus from my infant daughters. I wish US doctors were more up front about the connection between viruses and menieres. It's a real shame. Many well respected doctors are not even aware of Dr Gaceks studies. 

• Posted

I have loosely been placed in the "vestibular migraines" cubbyhole, but even my neurologist (who is also at SUNY Upstate, along with Dr. Gacek) said it doesn't really fit and NO migraine-preventative meds have taken away my imbalance. I know I don't have Meneire's but I have bilateral vestibular loss (95% loss) and I can't walk a straight line to save my life - been almost 4 years now. I once asked my ENT if the shingles vaccine could've caused it (came down with my horrible vestibular problems a month after the shot) and he said emphatically "NO". But since then I found a better ENT.

• Posted

I got the shingles vaccine in 2015. I have never been the same. Diagnosed with Vestibular Neuritis/Labyrinthitis 17 months ago. Still not well. This has been a total life changer
  • Posted

Hi Gang,

I am a pharmacist in the US and have some input. I was diagnosis with MS in 1991 and had very little trouble with it over the year. (Followed the Swank..and now Best Bet diet. No drugs) Twice in my life I have experience what I believe to be Vestibular Neuritis. In 1992 after changing to high index lenses in my glasses (I only use plastic now.) I thought that was the problem and the cure. Two week ago, I dropped some of the new shingles vaccine, Shingrex - a non-live vaccine, onto a bare area on my hand while drawing to give an injection to a patient. Several hours later, I noticed my nose began to run and I felt bad. I thought I might be getting a cold and started zicam to get ahead of it. A few hours after that my left eye lost total control leading to severe dizziness, nausea, vomiting, balance issues, etc. I was off work for 1 week. I am better but still have residual issues of balance and vision. I have given 100's of shingles shots of the old live kind, Zostavax, and many of the new one. This is the first time any has touched my skin. I've mentioned this to two MD's and ended up being ignored and given an MRI for possible MS flare up. The MRI came back clear today. No active MS issues of any kind so I've been doing some computer sleuthing. I believe there is something to the activation of the herpes virus, vestibular neuritis and the symptoms you have experienced. I will check the research that has been mentioned in this post.

Good luck everyone,

KT

• Posted

I hope you are still following this. i just came across your question this morning.

In March of 2011 I was finishing my last year of schooling to become a Radiological Technologist. (XRay Tech) That is also when I received the Shingles vaccination. Within days of receiving the vaccination I began to have noise fluctuations and hearing loss in my left ear. ByJanuary 2012 I was having severe episodes of vertigo. I was diagnosed with Menieres shortly after. I ended up being fired from my job, fought 2 years for and received disability.

I firmly believe the Menieres was triggered by that vaccine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.