Shingles Vaccine a trigger for symptoms of Meniere's?

Posted , 16 users are following.

For years I rarely had a full blown Meniere's vertigo with uncontrollable vertigo, nausia, etc. About a month or two after I decided to take the shot for Shingles I woke up one morning with one that was so bad my husband had to take me to the ER. Since that time (for over 3 years now) I have had bouts sometimes as many as 8 a month with dizziness, full head feelings, that I can control using meclizine. I read in an article about Meniere's that some people think that Meniere's is related to or possibly caused by the virus that causes chicken pocks and shingles. The shot I had contained a live virus to give me an immunity to getting shingles so I'm wondering if it also caused a flare up of Meniere's. Has anyone else had this happen to them or do you know anything concerning a relationship between Meniere's and shingles vaccine?

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Interesting. I got my shingels shot in early 2009 and in August of that year had symptoms of cochlear hydrops but no dizziness. Fortunately for me, I was able to clear my symptoms with water pills twice a day. You can see my post about what worked for me.

• Posted

I began to have severe Menieres's symptoms about 3 years ago and was diagnosed with it about 2 years ago. Using Dyazide, Antivert , and diet choices helped me get it under reasonable control with periodic mild symptoms. However, I received a Shingles vaccine on Sunday 7/17 . On Monday 7/18 I woke to a very severe Menieres attack that lasted for 6 hours and spent the reset of the day trying to get up and move around normally. Here it is Saturday 7/23 and I am still nauseated, fatigued, with brain fog and rumbling ears with no sign off it changing. So, if not a bazaar coincidence, it appears to be a direct result of the shingles vaccine. There is a second shot due in September which I will have to speak with my doctor about and make a decision on. I'll let you know what happens.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.