Shingtex

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anyone on this forum had the shingrex vaccine and any side effects?  I am 76 years old and had shingles last summer and do not ever want to suffer with them again. Thinking seriously of getting it but looking for comments.  Thank you 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have not but I’m interested in this as well.  I’m 74 and had shingles 16 months ago.  I planned to get the new vaccine as well.
    • Posted

Thank you Betty.  I guess my main concern is getting it at my age , but I’m sure the side effects if any would be far better than the pain of shingles. We have to pay for it here and the cost is $300 for the total cost of the two injections 
  • Posted

I am 70 and had shingles a year and half ago...still suffer from pun around eye. I want this shot too. I know four people who have had it. Two had no ill effects at all except for sore arm for few days. The other two were nauseous for a few days...one to the point oh throwing up. But all were fine a week later. Only difference was two that got sick also were given thr pneumonia shot at same time.
  • Posted

Hi. I’m 57 and just getting over shingles of the face. It covered most of my left side.  A month on and still not gone back to work, I’m still suffering from numb gums and teeth. Itching and tiredness. 

I know I Carnt have the shingles injection because of my age. But I feel for all who have had shingles it’s the most horrendous pain going. And the after effects can last for months or even years. Wishing you all well 

• Posted

Hi Julie, the new vaccine, Shingrix, has been approved for age 50 and over, so you CAN get it and you should once you are well.  It’s 97% effective (as opposed to around 60% for the old vaccine).  I don’t know about you, but I NEVER want shingles again!
    • Posted

Hi.

i don’t want it again either, it’s knocked me for Six.

its a horrible illness.

i didn’t know that I thought you had to be over 60-65.

will enquire when I have my telephone conversation with my Gp on Friday.

thank you for replying 

take care 

• Posted

Here in Ontario our OHIP health plan will cover cost from

60-65.  Any age over has to pay themselves.  My daughter who is 56 was told by her doctor to wait until she is 60. 

• Posted

This is for Shingrix, or for Zostavax?  I’m in the US and the Shingrix (the new one) is covered at 50, while Zostavax (the old one) isn’t until 60.  Maybe they were giving you the info for the old one?  My own doctor’s office still didn’t have Shingrix and weren’t aware that the guidelines had changed.  They wrote a prescription for me to get it at a pharmacy (interestingly, all the pharmacies have it), but warned me that my insurance probably wouldn’t cover it.  I called my insurance company and yes, it was covered.
    • Posted

This is for Shingrex and I am in Ontario Canada and it is not covered at all we have to pay , I am 76. The older one zostovax is covered by insurance from 60-65 only. 
    • Posted

I cannot find any insurance coverage for the Shingrix in the US. If your insurance covers the vaccine that is good news. My BCBS, not yet. My severe case was 9 months ago, still the itching and some permanent blister remnants. 
    • Posted

Here in  NZ we can only get Zostavax, which has just become free to pensioners. I have read is is not as good as the new one and I would rather wait until we can get Shingrix.

I had bad Ramsay Hunt shingles nearly three years ago and still having problem's. 

I dont understand why we are not immune to the virus once we have had the shingles ??

I just feel a bit scared to have the Zostovax .

• Posted

I had shingles in November and just had the Shingrix vaccine (first round) 2 days ago.  The worst side effect so far is soreness around the injection site.  I had some side effects yesterday - slight headache and muscle pain in my legs.  Took some ibuprofen and felt fine.  I will get round 2 in 2 months.
    • Posted

Is there a waiting period after shingles? My doctor said she definitely wants me to have the new vaccination.
    • Posted

Thank you Andrea. This is what I am looking for, to see how it affects you  after the injection, as long as ibuprofen covers the discomfort then it will be worth it  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.