Shopping

Posted , 14 users are following.

i've just been xmas shopping and I think I must have sat down to rest on every bench in the shopping centre

it's so frustrating with a knee that feels like a lump of lead not to be able to dash from shop to shop

Home now ,..cup of tea ...Ice pack  leg elevated ...I'm back in my comfort zone

Jean 

12weeks post op

ps....and No I didn't get everything I needed

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh Jean... I am dreading it... I am 12 weeks on too.... my friend used a shop mobility wheelchair for me a few weeks ago as I still can't walk far.... tempted to do it again. ..  I have done lots online. .. but it is nice to get out in among all the festive spirit.   take care  
  • Posted

Oh Jean I recognise that feeling and Im only 6wks! We expect such a lot from ourselves dont we? This forum reassures me when I read all your posts that I am not going quietly mad on my own neutral Stuff the Xmas shopping,let that fat old man in the red onesie do it Hes got transport! x Ive never seem him walk anywhere!

• Posted

That made me smile 

the "Fat old Man in Red"

biggrin

but you are so right ...I felt as if I ought to push myself and I wanted to get into the Xmas spirit ...(Where's the Vodka and lemonade)

• Posted

Good for you having the courage to give it a go. I'm so glad there is the internet and gift cards. Our family of 4kids, 9 grands and 9 greats has gotten pretty unwieldy. I am a horrible shopper, .mainly due to a bad attitude about the whole thing and my wife's health and her not being much help, if it were up to me I'd get cash and put it in envelopes and hand it out. Maybe I should start drinking again at christmas. It might make me a little more jolly and a little less Bah Humbugish.
    • Posted

Hi 

I think I have my "bah humbug" head on too ...

i spent more time sitting down than I did shopping....I hardly bought any gifts  just books etc.... for my small great grandchildren

so I think I will follow your example and give money this year .....I used to enjoy buying gifts but this op has taken the shine off it....I just can't be bothered.

i have 13 grandchildren and by Xmas time there will be 12 great grandchildren.

on second thoughts I thinkI'll just hibernate 

"Mrs Scrooge"

• Posted

Wow Jean thats a lot of present buying. I have 5 children grown up now with 7 grandchildren and two step grandchildren. I started my shopping in Oct. I am waiting to have my other knee done but looks like it will be in the New Year now. I am 7 months post op but am having a lot of pain from my unoperated knee. I too have done a lot on line and give the older ones money which they have all asked for. My daughter is cooking Christmas dinner this year so thats one less thing to. Just in limbo at the moment but at least can enjoy Christmas before I join the new knee merry go round again next year.
    • Posted

Hi Joan

yes I have a rather large family I have 4 sons and 2 daughters

plus son-in-laws and daughter-in-laws

my daughter's cooking Xmas dinner this year and I'm pleased about that.

i think my other knee will need doing in the near future as it's decided to come out in sympathy

whether I will bother is something to think about another time I don't have time to waste sitting on my bum at my age ...lol

you are so much braver than me having a second Op.

Jean 

• Posted

The younger generation is much wiser in many respects, they draw names but my wife says no......as parents and grandparents they all need gifts from us. If something happens to her, which will probably be the case, they had better enjoy their last greeting card as last will be the operative word. She send to nieces/nephews/ greats of both genders. I have advised my friends that when that stops they better sell their Hallmark Card stocks.
    • Posted

Hi Jean, I know just how you feel. Shopping used to be fun but now it's a real chore. I'm trying to do as much as I can online. I find queuing at the till is the worst part! It is getting a bit better - I'm 18 weeks now - but I still try to do as little as I can. I know what you mean about not being bothered. Even though I've had more time as I've not been going out so much I'm really behind on writing cards and present buying! This flipping op has certainly dampened my Christmas spirit. I'm hoping I'll get in the mood soon 🎄🎅
    • Posted

Oh that's so sad ....but I know where you're coming from

all you can do is enjoy the day 

take care 

Jean x

• Posted

I know that feeling well I went out today and after 1/2 an hour my leg was heavy and uncomfortable , I couldn't go without someone with me as I could not manage the bags and myself , it's very very frustrating especially at this time of  year, I keep telling myself it will be worth it in the end and to be fair it is still early days .chin up and keep going x

• Posted

I was on my own,...and used a supermarket shopping trolley to cling on too...it was.really hard work 

i thought ....stop feeling sorry for yourself Jean and get on with it you're 12 weeks post Op now ...so I put on my glad rags etc....and went.

and now I'm sat on the bed with ice pack wishing I hadn't bothered 

Oh! Silly me 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.