Shopping

Posted , 14 users are following.

i've just been xmas shopping and I think I must have sat down to rest on every bench in the shopping centre

it's so frustrating with a knee that feels like a lump of lead not to be able to dash from shop to shop

Home now ,..cup of tea ...Ice pack  leg elevated ...I'm back in my comfort zone

Jean 

12weeks post op

ps....and No I didn't get everything I needed

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm so glad it's not just me I'm getting so frustrated and angry with myself. I go into town for a wander and after about 15 mins my leg heels icredibly heavy and achy and my other hip starts to become painful I am nearly 12 weeks post tkr and it is really getting me down if I do too much during the day by the evening i struggle to get off the sofa and walk around the flat. I just sit and cry in the evenings I feel so useless in only 44 and feel like I shouldn't have had this done.
    • Posted

That sounds exactly like my days.... try not to be too down  I was like that up until a few weeks ago... I am still stiff and sore... not been out much and still need crutches...I think we  beat ourselves up  about what we should be doing. ... It is going to take time  for some reason this op messes with our heads and really pulls you down.  ..
    • Posted

easy to say that Carol. .. i am normally the most confident , positive person. ... but weeks of immobility,  pain and being confined to house. .. has taken its toll.. I also had a connective tissue disease which unfortunately flared up after op   .. so not as simple as just dealing with the op.... I'm sure other people have had their own pre existing conditions to contend with. ..... 
    • Posted

That's so true Mary

everyone is different...I too have other issues ...not just the knee

i think it's sad to pre judge people without knowing the circumstances

most people on here young or old have gone through the weepy stage and feeling down

people deal with things to their own ability 

so don't let people judge you Mary 

• Posted

Yes I am week 9 + 1 day .   I have been through same as everyone.  I have always believed that your mind is so strong and you have to wake up each day and be positive
    • Posted

I agree with your positive thoughts..and the power of the mind can do wonders for people that way inclined ..I too am a positive person 

but everyone is different and we have to give a little thought and encouragement  to others

• Posted

Me too Carol .... It seems this knee op had irritated my hip and my other knee,..

but onwards and upwards 

• Posted

Hi I'm 49 and have been saying I wish I'd never had it done , and yes I've cried , because I keep thinking come on woman it's been nearly five weeks , I just didn't  think I would take this long to heal, nobody can understand the discomfort and agony yes agony of this op even after nearly 5 weeks unless you've had it done . I feel like saying YES IT STILL HURTS NO IM NOT EXAGERATING, I actually feel like a fake cos some days are good and some days are bad today was good when I went shopping but tonight is bad because of today .  We will get better but it takes time .
    • Posted

i am 55  and I have exactly the same thoughts as you described. ... I had knee surgery 2 years ago. .. removed cartilage. ... and I was back on my feet   back to work in a month.... I think I expected  this to be similar. ... I had my TKR 12 weeks ago ... still painful and I do get down... but it really does get better.... I was at my wits end at 5 weeks... had to go and get anti depressants. ... feeling much more positive ... I can go without crutches ....In the house. .. still use one outside .. take painkillers regularly... rest when you need to... leg up  ice on.... exercises. take care .... x
    • Posted

Hi I am soo glad I read your post I am six weeks tomorrow and I keep saying " why is this taking so long" too! The great thing about this forum is being able to recognise that this op was a huge thing for all of us,as I said before not for the fainthearted confused and yes it does knock us sideways,but its not like an illness that we have forever it is going to get better thats what gets me through,and if we look back honestly we have come so far. My son said to me " its like having your leg amputated and stuck back together again with a bit of metal" were heroes people, so lets just keep hugging each other and propping each other up when we need it smile Love you all x
    • Posted

That's a lovely post Fran

so very encouraging. 

and your son must be a very understanding person

take care 

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Jo

I am 49 and 13 + 5; I am very fed up with it all AND AM ALSO A VERY POSITIVE PERSON but sometimes no matter how positive you are you can't get away from the fact that for the majority of uson the forum this op is a nightmare.

My surgeon told me two weeks ago that younger people often have a worse time with the stiff hard feeling as our bodies are in a rush to heal!

My bend, my walk etc are getting better but the feeling is so bad I could scream! I use water bottles often at his suggestion and he said unfortunately it is a case of getting through it.

Have been back to work through need not choice and just say I am fine when asked.

• Posted

it sure will , im 16 weeks and feel proud todsay as ive cleaned my windows and caught up on some of them jobs you cant do ,big smile and i felt the same way not so long ago , 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.