Short PR interval

Posted , 12 users are following.

Ok guys...in October I had an ECG done and it was normal then I had really bad anxiety to the point I stayed in bed for 3 weeks straight. Went to the cardiologist and they did a repeat EKG and it showed a short PR interval, I did another EKG and it didn't, however they repeated it yesterday and it showed a Short PR interval. There are no delta waves. Is my anxiety causing the short PR? Can anyone relate?

4 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi did you ever find out what was causing your short PR interval?
    • Posted

Hi was wondering if you could tell me more about what caused your short PR as I am struggling to get my head round it. Thanks
    • Posted

Excellent thank you for letting me know. Was that from your doctor or cardiologist? Thanks again that has really helped.
    • Posted

Nick if you would like find me on Facebook if you have it. Look up Billie Jo Lynn Martin when you search it Billie Martin should come up....I have really short blonde hair and I am a girl. I'll chat with you more about it. I don't check emails often.

• Posted

Hi Billie

Struggling to find you on Facebook. Might be easier for you to find me. Nick Rouse, I am on my knees with my nephew wearing suit and bow tie.

• Posted

I was recently told I have a short pr interval and am freaking out. I am going to see a cardiologist and do a Holter monitor. However, i recently have had very bad anxiety. I'm just curious if you have more info. So anxiety can cause it and it can just be a normal varient?? I'm really frea king out. Thanks!

• Posted

Who told you that you had a short PR? Was it on ecg? Was there delta waves? Did doctor refer you to cardiologist or are you self referring?
    • Posted

This is reply I got from Billie, she really knows her stuff! Your pr interval changes based on your catecholamines in your body. The AV node in your heart is reflected as the pr interval on your ecg. Your parasympatheric and sympathetic nervous systems are connected to your av node. Parasympathetic is resting and the opposite for sympathetic. When your parasympathetic tone goes up the sympathetic goes down. Which then results in a long pr interval. Alot of athletes have this. But the opposite is true for sympathetic. When your sympathetic nervous tone in high your resting is low. Which means your or interval will shorten. It's normal in every heart. Depending where the pr interval began with is whether or not it will be shorter than normal. When your sympathetic nervous system is activated it send epinephrine and norepinephrine through your bloodstream to the sympathetic nerve. That then leads to the av node which shortens the pr interval in every normal heart. If it didn't that's when you would have a problem. I did a year and a half research on this. It scared the bloody hell out of me. No the ep didn't want to do an ep study because of all the times I've had a normal pr. With lgl the sister to wpw you would ALWAYS have a short pr...so without that or delta waves then everything is normal. You need relaxation. My cardiologist told me all I needed to do was smile.

• Posted

So I just need to calm the hell down! smile Thank you so much for that detailed explanation, I appreciate it more then you know!!! Yes I got an EKG doNE and they saw it, but up to that my anxiety has been really bad, to the point where breaths hard because my chest is so tight. So u went in and they did one. Now I am scheduled for a Holter monitor and seeing a cardiologist. They only thing my dr mentioned was the pr interval. I am working on finding a psychologist to get myour anxiety in check. How have you been once you got more info???
    • Posted

Morning. Seems that relaxation is the key to beating this! Wish it was that easy! Keep telling myself what Billie said when feel anxious, but my anxiety not been great so makes me feel like having more ectopic beats which makes more anxious! Did you have ecg due to palpatations? I see a counsellor through the NHS and they are useless, got 8 minutes with them last week so going to go private. Are you on any meds for the anxiety? Suns out today, aim is nice walk and relax!
    • Posted

Hello Megan, take it from someone that knows this situation so well. It is n it as easy as just calming down. There is so much more to it! You have to know in your heart that you are on and this is normal or you will never get over this! Yes a short or interval can mean many things. But the most common cause is anxiety and a high catechalomine state. This is probably one of the hardest things you will face in your life...But in the end you realize just how strying you really are!!! I'm never on her, that is why I sent you the message Megan about looking me up. Nick and I talk almost on a daily basis and I hope I have helped him! If you need anything else I am here.

• Posted

Thank you both so much. I guess I just don't understand that is anxiety is such a commen cause for this, why I can't seem to find any websites stating that. All seem s like there is a medical issue for it other then stress. Also, how come when some go into the ER for panic attacks, they have normal EKGS? Sorry, Ive been trying to relax more and now that the sun is out, I have been taking more walks. I am not on meds and am in the process of finding a counselor. I went in because I had 2 episodes of HR 190s, I'm starting to think maybe they were panic attacks though.

I think Billie went to the cardiologist, but did you Nick?

I'm scheduling my monitor this week and go to the cardiologist middle of June. I really hope they don't find anything wrong.

• Posted

Hi - yes I saw cardiologist and got an echocardiogram and stress test booked for couple of weeks. 

Saw at my chiropractor today as think a balanced body helps recovery.  She studied neurology and said straight away how the vagus nerve can influence everything in the heart, really interesting conversation and no prompting from me.

Just started reading a book today, Self Help For Your Nerves by Dr Claire Weekes.  I have tried many books and put them down after a couple of pages but halfway through this one.  Totally recommend getting it off Amazon.

Very much doubt they will find anything wrong Megan but is so hard to accept anxiety and to accept it.

Going to do the same this week and try and enjoy the sunshine!

• Posted

Megan read your personal inbox. I sent you a message. I can send you link to hundreds of websites stating anxiety is the number one cause!
    • Posted

Hi Megan

Not heard from you for a while and was wondering if had had anymore tests done and how you were doing?

• Posted

I have ordered this book - thank you for sharing a recommendation! 
    • Posted

I know this is old so I truly hope you see this. I have been super stressed and so anxious. Started having pvcs and a short or interval on my ekgs. Could you possibly send me the links you have about anxiety and the pr interval? 
    • Posted

I can't find you. Billie JO Lynn Martin. Photo is me wearing a hat with a rainbow frame.

• Posted

i think i found you. it wont let me send you a request so i sent you a message. should come across as a message request or in the other folder

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.