Short PR interval

Posted , 12 users are following.

Ok guys...in October I had an ECG done and it was normal then I had really bad anxiety to the point I stayed in bed for 3 weeks straight. Went to the cardiologist and they did a repeat EKG and it showed a short PR interval, I did another EKG and it didn't, however they repeated it yesterday and it showed a Short PR interval. There are no delta waves. Is my anxiety causing the short PR? Can anyone relate?

4 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks for posting this question... I am scheduled to get a holter monitor put on  in 2 weeks because of a short or interval rolleyes
    • Posted

I apologize for just getting back to you. There are so so so many causes for a short pr interval. And a lot of them are not harmful! Anxiety neurosis is one of the top causes of a shortened pr interval, next to normal variant and high blood pressure. WPW only has a short pr interval because the delta wave has shortened it not like the reasons we do. And that is because of a heightened sympathetic tone. Ok think of it this way. An athletes heart has a long pr interval...why? Because they have less adrenalin running through their body because they work it off. But with us we have a lot of adrenaline because of the anxiety. So our price intervals adrenaline shortened. Was was the measurements of yours? Anyone know?
  • Posted

Hi all on this thread

I'm so grateful to have found this - I too am experiencing a period of high anxiety but having so many physical symptoms had a hard time accepting it as anxiety. I have been referred to a cardiologist for racing heart and he has found a short PR interval and told me it might be nothing but could mean WPW syndrome. In my heightened state and not sleeping and going google crazy up to this point I could only find sinister causes for the short PR interval so I am so grateful to find these explanations. 

Now I just need to talk this ridiculous level of anxiety down - struggling using typical methods because I am not sleeping I'm too exhausted t exercise and ache everywhere with nausea so I get trapped in a spiral of believing I'm ill. Can I ask for anyone still seeing these posts how you have continued to get on and if you have any further advice? I appreciate Billie saying she doesn't use this but didn't want to be rude and look for her on Facebook.

I wish you all, all the very best - hope you are well and been able to enjoy the summer - becs

• Posted

Dear Rebecca

I understand what you are going through and in a similar boat. I have a Short PR but no delta wave, but supposedly my PR looks normal when sleeping and also is normal when exercising, I did a stress test a few months back.

It's difficult to say what came first, its just like the chicken and egg. I am in the process of going for a second EP opinion in September to see what is going on. I suffer primarily from skipped heart beats (PVC) and find those to be the most nuisance.

If you want to talk further feel free to message me. Cheers.

• Posted

Hi Rebecca

Is the cardiologist doing further tests? Did he say if saw delta waves? Are you in the UK. 

One common trait with all of us seems to be anxiety! 

• Posted

I apologize for just getting back to you. There are so so so many causes for a short pr interval. And a lot of them are not harmful! Anxiety neurosis is one of the top causes of a shortened pr interval, next to normal variant and high blood pressure. WPW only has a short pr interval because the delta wave has shortened it not like the reasons we do. And that is because of a heightened sympathetic tone. Ok think of it this way. An athletes heart has a long pr interval...why? Because they have less adrenalin running through their body because they work it off. But with us we have a lot of adrenaline because of the anxiety. So our price intervals adrenaline shortened. Was was the measurements of yours? Anyone know?
    • Posted

• Posted

Hey thanks for messaging. I don't have the measurements - the report just said rather short PR interval with possible delta wave in inferior leads. Having a two week monitor fitted Tuesday. 

I am super anxious at the moment - I'm literally sleeping two hours a night so no surprise about pr interval if the delta wave is proved wrong because I'm ruined. 

Hope you are well

• Posted

Hi Guys

Seem my anxiety counsellor and she has told me I need to keep off the forums as feed my anxiety. My cardiologist and Electrophysiologist have both said normal variant caused by anxiety so I need to try and forget about it and don't want to see me anymore. 

Good luck with beating the anxiety!

• Posted

Hi I have simlar experience as this forum. So i was wondering if anyone is still involved in replying to this forum?
    • Posted

ok thanks Billie. I am scheduled to have cather ablation next week. I read over the comments about anxiety etc. But I still get the short pr interval and irregular heartbeats even when i'm relaxed. 

• Posted

How many are you getting? How often?
    • Posted

I went in for a EP study about a month ago in October. They ruled out WPW. Remarkably though my anxiety about it has gone down so now I only vary rarely get any arrhymias. There are some good Youtube videos that says Ectopic beats are normal. See York Cardiology https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i3b-ureBxs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.