Shortness of breath due to iron anaemia?

Posted , 54 users are following.

hello,

about two months ago i got my blood test done which showed very low levels of haemoglobin and haemotocrit. I then got my serum iron test done too and i was diagnosed with iron deficiency anaemia. I started a regular ferrous sulphate supplement from a local company. Although some symptoms (such as tingling in legs) have gone, i have started to feel shortness of breath and especially from evening onwards it increases. This shortness of breath is there since the last three days. I had this feeling earlier but then it subsided. Is it possible that my supplement isnt working and that i need a more effective one?

0 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

About 10 days ago I got my blood test reports. Indicating low haemoglobin which was 10.2 along with low PCV, MCV and MCH. Doctor did not prescribe me any medicine. But I'm feeling complete distress, it's like something unusual is happening in my brain. I have back shoulder muscle also, breathing is becoming hell, I don't know what's going on with me... I'm feeling like I will not get another breath and I'll die if this continued... 

Can anyone else guide me what should I do to get over from this situation. 

• Posted

Hi! I have some of the same symptoms you are having. My levels is 10.8 and I'm having shortness of breath, weird leg cramps and a weird dizzy/off balance feeling in my head. My iron level is A 21 which normal range is 40-170. Have the iron supplements been helping you?

• Posted

I'm having the same symptoms. I'm on ferrous supplement 3x a day & folic acid 2x a day . I just started the pills today .

• Posted

Same thing happening with me..idk what to do..i think im suffering from COPD..ru good now?
    • Posted

You are describing my symptoms, too (though I don't recall my labs off hand, my ferritin was as low as 4).   The brain fog was terrible this time as was the shortness of breath.  I also began having weird heart behaviour- BP all over the place, I could feel my heart sort of glugging along. So, in my personal opinion the breathlessness is indicative of the heart working very hard to ide enough oxygen for your body.  That's pretty scary, in my opinion.  I am surprised to see so many people here coping with the same symptoms and enduring the slow route to better health through oral supplements(I've had two low bouts in two years.  Both times I was given iron infussions.     One thing that did help me  a tiny bit, was taking a chewable iron supplement, which I sucked on.  I can't seem to get iron out of food or supplements otherwise.   Keep a daily record of symptoms and what you are doing to raise your iron levels in themean time so you have hard data to show your doc.

• Posted

I'm a petite female. My hemoglobin is at 9.2. I just recieved two iron infusions at the hospital. After getting released, I hardly made it up the stairs of my home. I felt winded and like my heart was beating out of my chest and lightneaded. 

I have come close to fainting 3 times in the past two weeks. 

Two weeks ago I was completely fine and was able to jog and use the stairmaster. 

Is it possible for anemia symptomps to set in this suddenly? 

They ran a CT scan and had me wear a holter monitor without any other issues showing up. 

Symptoms tend to be worse earlier in the day. 

• Posted

Hi Yuleski, in my experience and also with my husband, the symptoms were hardly noticeable during onset, it was very gradual, but then one day out of the blue he hit a wall and was severely symptomatic, mine was more gradual.   In my understanding you have you have stored resources as well as your daily intake of iron and if you're not absorbing the iron, you eventually run out of fuel.  My husband was far more active than I was and so I suppose, like you, he used up his resources quicker.  I don't think there's any 'normal' since we're all slightly different in diet, lifestyle and other factors.  The key is to finding out what's causing your condition and make changes to stop it recurring., best of luck.

• Edited

Shortness of breath is very much a symptom of anemia. It may take a while for all of your symptoms to improve, so if you are on the correct dose then i would wait it out. Ive been anemic for a ling time but didnt find out about it untill recently. Many times i will experience tiredness pounding heart and shortness of breath for no reason despite being on iron. Just have to wait it out even though it sucks
    • Posted

It definitely does suck I'm on the wait out now as I type this...it gets me a little depressed not being able to exercise and the heartburn from these pills and the symptoms of anemia however yu need to do the best thing for your body. Remember to communicate these symptoms with your doc!

• Edited

Thank you this is good to hear because i started my supplements about 2 weeks ago, my shortness of breath is on and off i was worried a bit but i guess i need to wait it out a little longer

• Posted

Thank you this is good to hear, I was having shortness of breath did bloodwork and was diagnosed with anemia, I started supplements about 2 weeks ago, My shortness of breath is not as bad, its now on and off i guess i need to wait it out a little longer to see full improvement.......

• Posted

Hi all, I've just found this post while researching shortness of breath and low ferritin levels, my results came back at 10.1 which apparently is very low? I started taking an iron supplement twice a day last week but feel really out of breath just from walking a few steps. Also my fatigue symptoms disappeared after taking the supplements for a few days but now the fatigue is back with a bang and I feel completely exhausted. Should I wait this out or go back to my g.p? Everyone is commenting that I look extremely pale and tired 😴

• Posted

Hi, it will take a while for the iron supplements to kick in, the anaemia is making you breathless, my blood count went down to 6.4 and I felt as if I was wading through tar when I tried walking anywhere, I was on a very high dose iron supplement for quite a while, 3 tablets a day, your colour will come back eventually, I would give it another couple of weeks to see if the tablets make a difference if by then you feel the same then go back to your GP, this is what I personally would do, if you are really concerned then give your GP a ring, does he/she do phone appts?

Hope you start to feel better soon.

Phoebe.

• Posted

Hi Phoebe,

Thanks for the speedy reply. Yes I think I can get a telephone appointment with my doctor for reassurance if nothing else. Thanks again for your reply x

• Posted

See your doctor asap. I am on iron infusions - tablets had bad effects and didn't work so well. good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.