Shortness of breath due to iron anaemia?

Posted , 54 users are following.

hello,

about two months ago i got my blood test done which showed very low levels of haemoglobin and haemotocrit. I then got my serum iron test done too and i was diagnosed with iron deficiency anaemia. I started a regular ferrous sulphate supplement from a local company. Although some symptoms (such as tingling in legs) have gone, i have started to feel shortness of breath and especially from evening onwards it increases. This shortness of breath is there since the last three days. I had this feeling earlier but then it subsided. Is it possible that my supplement isnt working and that i need a more effective one?

0 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey! I'm a 13 year old girl, and have the same EXACT problem. I suffer from very low iron and just recently started getting shortness of breath, feeling like I'm almost dying or suffocating sad I just recently found out what was wrong and why I'm getting this short breath. It was definitely my iron. The doctor told me, for my age at least to take some iron pills. I also have restless leg syndrome, which has been disturbing my sleep a lot lately. And I also have been very lightheaded and tired. I feel much much better now that I know what's causing all of this! Everyday I take 1 pill and I will continue to do that until I start feeling better, I hope you feel better too!!! <3

• Posted

I suggest a blood test from your doctor to check out iron levels. Tablets were not enough for me and I have had iron infusions. They work well. You probably don't need to put up with this. Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hello, I have to get 6 Iron infusion treatment in the next 2 week and currently I am on my  second treatment. My heart is beating so fast whenever I try to do anything. Any thoughts please 
  • Posted

Hi, 

having IDA definitely gives you shortness of breath even from doing small things like walking up and down the stairs. I started taking iron supplements almost a month ago and noticed some of my symptoms like dizziness go away. It may be possible that the supplement you are taking is not absorbing very well, I've read that liquid iron supplements like floradix work better, although they are more expensive and don't last as long. I've recently started to feel weak and have other symptoms of IDA I didn't have before so I've started to take floradix and I definitely notice that it has helped me more than the pills I have, so maybe give the liquid supplement a try. Just remember to take any of your supplements with vitamin C for better absorption. 

hope this helps! 

• Posted

So iron deficiency I hav 3 .5 and I feel like I can't do anything I fear a lot ,I m extremely anxious even for a small sound

I cry for small things I feel like I can't stay alone is this something with iron deficiency or something else ...I get giddy very often , breathless,anxious

• Posted

What does your doctor say? It sounds as if you need some medical treatment for your iron deficiency. 
    • Posted

I have never been depressed in my life!  But, just before I was diagnosed with IDA, I started crying uncontrollably.  Looking back, I realize it was an early symptom of the low iron.  Now I take an antidepressant, and as my #s decrease and I feel depressed, my doctor told me to double the pills until I get another infusion.  I hadn't related the 'jumping at a small sound' to the iron, but I also do that quite a bit!!

• Posted

Yes! I remember i was at the cinema when i suddenly had a weird heart feeling like it was racing numerous times and i couldn't bare it ended up putting my hands on my ears cause the sound in the cinema was making me feel worse and anxious, i got out! the next day was absolutely frightening for me i had no energy to go to the bathroom or look with eyes properly anyway, i found out i had low iron i remember GP saying 17 which isn't low but was prescribed sulfate which i changed into fumurate currently but i feel like they've stopped working. Overall low iron deficiency anemia can cause anxiety and stress, you will find yourself unreasonably crying or sad or depressed and not feel like yourself at all, have patience and speak to your GP.

• Posted

I have required Iron Infusions b/c my #as are so low.  A few weeks after an infusion, my #s decrease again and I start suffering all of the symptoms -- especially SofB!  If you are still losing blood, you may need more than a supplement.  I have been getting infusions every few weeks for the past 1-1/2 years b/c they can't find the source of my blood loss.

• Posted

I have learned this lesson over and over and now I’m starting to really get it - thanks to me being short of breath for days and feeling like I can’t live in this . I just ate a nice steak tonight , I eat plenty of salads so I have the vitamin c to kick it in, problem with me is two huge factors - my family has a vitamin B12 shortage and I eat a lot of dairy - cream in my coffee, cheese on everything and teas as well. Iron is best through red meat over a supplement ( I was a vegetarian for 15 yrs and learned the hard way) vitamin C helps iron and calcium and dairy destroy it, vitamin B12 works in conjunction with iron and B12 is destroyed through the stomach acids so you can only absorb through 1) Food sources . 2) Tablets under the tongue.... or...3) Injections. Between the red meat and veggies/fruits , the B12,  and cutting down on coffee/Tea , calcium and dairy - you should most likely feel better within a couple of weeks . Good luck ?? 

• Edited

Hi stumbled across this conversation when googling about having a shower and being out of breath and racing heart.

Had my bloods done first thing this morning and have a ton of abnormals.

serum iron level is at 4.4

percentage iron saturation is at 5%

a few of my other bloods have come back abnormal but when i google they all lead back to iron and anemia.

not heard from the doctor yet but guessing i will be back on medication. i dont understnad why it keeps happening. its low then we get it back high with medication and then it drops again.

so worried 

• Posted

I think you must consult MD for such signs, this is something serious, shortness of breath will put pressure on lungs that may develop pain in breathing also.

• Posted

Hi

I was diagnosed with anaemia in February this year (2021) I have had problems for 5 years but no one seemed bothered until I thought.it was a chest infection ... and of course it was a telephone consultation and I was prescribed steroid tablets.... they were great for all my aches and pains but I was still very short of breath. they did blood tests which.resulted in finding my hemaglobin levels were only 6 and I was given iron tablets straight away. I then had to then take urine sample and a poo sample... they found blood.in the poo.... I was then given appointment for the camera down and the camera up ... they found diverticulitis from the one up but most importantly found I had multiple polyps some had dried blood.on.. so I'm surmising this is what has caused the anemia... no one has.actually said this and the consultant who i also had a telephone consultation with has not been in touch... so I have been taking the iron tablets since February but now my breathing seems to be getting worse after initially getting better ... I take 2 of the 210mg tablets per day and am wondering if I should maybe be on a higher dose... ?? I have never been this bad before and I have also got copd ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.